Biplane Trio

Darius at Home

Love the Fury. Are they the kit decals - I've got the Pyro version in the stash but the decals are shot

Hi Pete - welcome to the forums ;)

Love the Fury. Are they the kit decals - I've got the Pyro version in the stash but the decals are shot

Pete

They are the kit decals - I gave them a couple of coats of Microscale Liquid Decal film before I used them to make sure that they didn't disintegrate - as the original decals for the Bulldog did when they made contact with the water.

:giles:

Darius

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Darius AH,

yours biplanes are very interesting and lovely.

I have one question:what is used for "wire between wings"( :ph34r: )

Cheers

Miroslav

For the wires on the Stearman I used stretched sprue - old kit sprues held near (but not too near) a candle flame until the plastic goes soft and shiny and then stretched apart to form plastic "wire". This can be cut and glued in place as rigging. The disadvantage with stretched sprue is that it is brittle and breaks easily. I don't use it any more, instead I use a "stretchy" rigging thread that is available from Aeroclub Models (here). This can be fixed with cyano glue and doesn't break if you accidently twang it. Being elasticated it will not add any strength to a rigged biplane so the struts etc. have to be fixed well.

Darius

• 1 month later...

There is a product that is available at all good fabric stores, called Lycra Knitting Elastic. It stretches and can be glued in place by CA or white glue. You get 200 metres for about...doing the conversion mentally... 2 quid. Should last a lifetime.. and you can paint or colour it..

Have sent spools to Japan, LA, West Virginia and Montreal !!

Cheers,

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Darius I see you must be a rigging god, I have a 1/48th gloster gladiator MKI but I have never done any rigging before :S any advice

Hi Darius I see you must be a rigging god, I have a 1/48th gloster gladiator MKI but I have never done any rigging before :S any advice

Hi Johnny

I have to date only built four biplane models and three of them are pictured on this thread. My advice would be to invest in a set of high strength steel microdrills and a pin vice (to drill the rigging holes), use the aforementioned stretchy rigging thread (as stretched sprue breaks and sags easily) and take it slowly when rigging. I use cyano glue applied with the tip of a sewing needle to secure the rigging in the pre-drilled holes as I go. I also drill the rigging holes in the wings, tailplanes and fusleage before assembly as it is easier that way.

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

• 1 year later...

I am a new member & seeing all these truly beautiful Fury, Bulldog, Gladiator & PT-17 models has made me set new priorities for the same models in my building schedule. I am 77 years old & had open heart surgery last October. I plan on doing a lot more model building now as aresult. Also I did not realize so many people made these particular models. For me it is just great to see so many. Carl T