Spitfire MkII Rotol Props

3DStewart

Hello folks

Can anyone help me model an accurate MkII Spitfire? I need to find out the diameter of the standard Rotol propeller fitted. I've been told 10' 9", but I want to establish that this is correct. Also can anyone help with the shape of the blade? I've found it hard to get good head on photos of the blade, other than for the BoB Memorial Flight's MK II, which looks like a more modern profile to me.

Thanks

Stewart

Ultracast make a resin rotol prop with spinner for the Mk II in 1:48 and provide a small blister for the coffman starter on the engine cowling as well. Relish Models stock some ultracast things or you can order from the website. Hope that helps!

David

Ultracast make a resin rotol prop with spinner for the Mk II in 1:48 and provide a small blister for the coffman starter on the engine cowling as well. Relish Models stock some ultracast things or you can order from the website. Hope that helps!

David

Thanks for your help so far folks.

The model will be in 1/72. I've just found that The Spitfire Site gives the dia of the Rotol propeller as 10' 9", not 10' 3" as noted above. Any comments on this?

Any period photos of Mk II Rotols showing the profile please?

Regards

Stewart

Edited by Detail Police

Pointy spinner? You're thinking of the later Mk.V prop, I think. The Mk.II Rotol had a very blunt spinner.

bob

p.s. If I happen across anything really useful I'll post- surprising how vague we all are about this one!

You can use the wooden blades for a start as well. I have corrected the MkV screw but with those late mark blades it would be even easier unless they are wrong at the base. Hard to tell not holding them in the hand.

Studying the photographs I have spied kind of rib profile at the root of the blade. The rib is round and 'floating' though. I have cared for the shape comparing the blade with period shots looking at it from suitable angles. That way the profile goes more or less proper. I hope more :).

th_PICT0028.jpg

th_PICT0070.jpg

th_PICT0010.jpg

More MkIIA struggle here:

http://www.modelarstworedukcyjne.pl/index....y&Itemid=77

And what about Quickboost's Rotols for Hurricanes. AFAIK there are two types of "early" Hurri Rotols

72215.jpg

72221.jpg

Which of them looks like a Spitty Rotol?

PS. Both pics taken from manufacturer's website.

To my eye neither of the Quickboost props looks much like a Spitfire Mk II's. From the photos I've got the Spitfire's blade tips are more symmetrical and the blade, while thicker at the base than the Mk I DeHavilland, doesn't look as flared as the ones above. But I don't have any clear front photos. Hence my puzzlement . . .

Any certainty about the dia?

Thanks

Stewart

Aha! I've just found this on the RCMF Website

Which says that the Rotol units were indeed 10' 3". Further more it says there were three different types of Rotol propeller fitted, so perhaps there were different profiles as well. The plot thickens!