* 1/72 Hurricane 2d & 2c FINISHED

Hardtarget

That's some cool plastic coloring.....!!

Matchbox Cheers,

ggc

Ive noticed that the box art and the instruction cover both have a a different illustration for the Mk iic, do you get both in the decals? either way looking forwards to seeing these two :)

Made a start this weekend so here is sat and sundays progress.

Started of with Hu78 interior green for the cockpit. I was aiming to build the kits as they were meant to without adding aftermarket parts or altering the shape too much. The only exception to this rule was the volkes filter. I replaced this with a spare Airfix Hurri 2c (new tooling) one as the MB was is completely wrong and lacks any detail along with a closed intake.

P1010014.jpg

Wings and fuselage cemented together. The fit is good for the of age of this kit. So only a little amount of sanding along the join lines.

P1010016.jpg

All primed up with Halford grey primer.

P1010017.jpg

Start of todays work. Applied coats of Gloy enamel middle stone, dark brown and azure blue.

P1010018.jpg

Camo duly applied for its second coat.

P1010027.jpg

Underside of the 2d

P1010029.jpg

Watching with interest, Hurricanes in desert scheme close to my favourite. The Gloy colours look OK too, I never knew much about these, we didn't get them in NZ but I remember ads for them in Airfix Mags about eleventy years ago. I see your tins have lost their shine. :D

Steve

Watching with interest, Hurricanes in desert scheme close to my favourite. The Gloy colours look OK too, I never knew much about these, we didn't get them in NZ but I remember ads for them in Airfix Mags about eleventy years ago. I see your tins have lost their shine. :D

Steve

I got these from and old guys stash, a box full of mixed paints and tools a couple of years ago. I've tried to find a tin list of Gloy and what was compucolor but with no joy. They look pretty accurate for colour as well which is a bonus. They may have lost their shine but are in very good order in the tin, a little bit of thinners does wonders :)

Ive noticed that the box art and the instruction cover both have a a different illustration for the Mk iic, do you get both in the decals? either way looking forwards to seeing these two :)

Yes, the difference stems from Matchbox having to repackage their stuff in the 1980s to remove any signs of violence, so they put the other decal option on the box but retained the original box art for (some of) the instructions.

This is a great thread, I have fond memories of the Matchbox Hurri.

Have i said it yet? No? Matchbox raaaaaaaawk!

I got these from and old guys stash, a box full of mixed paints and tools a couple of years ago. I've tried to find a tin list of Gloy and what was compucolor but with no joy. They look pretty accurate for colour as well which is a bonus. They may have lost their shine but are in very good order in the tin, a little bit of thinners does wonders :)

Looks like a good score to me, they certainly look the part.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

An update to the two hurries. As you can see props and canopies have been added and a second coat of camo has been applied. Klear has also been added ready for decalling.

One thing that was missing was an additional nav light from the 2d. I duly made one out of clear sprue and gave it a coat of klear to erase the marks made from sanding.

P1010018.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Edited by Hardtarget

Finished this weekend. Decals went on fine with some Set and Sol, then secured in place with a coat of Klear and tamiya flat base mix to give it a semi matt finish. I enjoyed these old kits, brings back memories. :)

P1010065-1.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010058-1.jpg

P1010057-1.jpg

P1010056-1.jpg

P1010055-1.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010062.jpg

Lovely pair! And I love the contrasting colours.

Couple of questions, if you don't mind.

On the temperate one QU * W - what is colour of the wheel wells? I thought that Hurri wheel wells were always silver, as they are on the desert one...have you references for what looks like a black colour? (Or was that simply what Matchbox said should go there?)

On a tips and techniques kind of issue: What is the mix you use for the final coat between Klear and Tamiya flat base? (anytime I try it, I get these awful white streaks) Advice please......

thanks,

Prenton

Edited by Prenton

Lovely pair! And I love the contrasting colours.

Couple of questions, if you don't mind.

On the temperate one QU * W - what is colour of the wheel wells? I thought that Hurri wheel wells were always silver, as they are on the desert one...have you references for what looks like a black colour? (Or was that simply what Matchbox said should go there?)

On a tips and techniques kind of issue: What is the mix you use for the final coat between Klear and Tamiya flat base? (anytime I try it, I get these awful white streaks) Advice please......

thanks,

Prenton

The interior wheel wells are hu78 interior green. Hurris did have them painted on earlier aircraft only on latter ones did they go with the NMF. What you see in the pic maybe the light as i took these outside, and may have created a shadow in the wheelwheels.

I use a mix of 3-4:1 Klear to the flatbase. I would suggest you try this and then test it on a readied wing, let it dry and see if your happy with the results. If its too flat then add a little more, making sure its well mixed.

Edited by Hardtarget