After-Market for Academy 1/72 F/A18-C

robw_uk

Having just got the 1/72 F/A18C (Academy) and seeing how good the kit looks (am sure I cant build to do it justice just yet) am wondering what after-market goodies I can get for it. So far I have only found the Aires open/closed nozzle sets. Is there anything else anyone can recommend? Especially interested in decals and maybe cockpit improvements.

I have never used AM Products in the past but think this model will slow me down (I want to do a good job) and perhaps benefit a little from a little more TLC....

also, how do I convert the paint chart (mostly FS Numbers) into either Humbrol or Tamiya - is that likely to happen, or will I have to look at the likes of Testors/Gunze etc....

Wolfpack Design do several sets and are available from Modelsforsale.com or Luckymodels.com

Folded wings: http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/72004.html

Dropped flaps: http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/72005.html

Ejection seat: http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/72009.html

Eduard etched set: http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED73306

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDSS306

HTH

Stephen

For converting paint http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/helpdesk.asp

Edited by Stephen

Regarding the paint chart, there's really nothing to do with tamiya paints as none of these is matched to modern USN paints.

Humbrol fortunately has paints matched to those used on the Hornets. Without having seen the academy list, those most likely to be be used are:

fs 36320: humbrol 128

fs 36375: humbrol 127

fs 35237: humbrol 145

fs 36231: humbrol 140 (for the cockpit)

Alterntively you can use testors or gunze, or lifecolor. These companies all seel paints matched to the correct fs colours required.

Edited by Giorgio N

Just as a heads up, Modelzone currently has this kit at a significant discount: £9.99. ;)

thats where I got it ;-) sat, all alone, on a shelf.... the only other F/A18 they had in was the Revell at £11...

decided this is a keeper - one for the future (my skill would not do it justice) andone to add too - like the wingfold kit to start- maybe the PE cockpit from Eduard. In terms of paint I have matched all (just) to HUMBROL - only picked that cos I have previous with them - not used MM or Gunze yet - will I notice much difference (apart from Acryl vs Enam). The only I cant get in to HUMBROL is "BURNT IRON" - this is Mr Color 61 (Gunze 76). As this is for the exhausts does anyone have a recomendation for a Humbrol version?

Is your experience with humbrol enamels ? If so MM also have a line of enamels, with all the colours you need.

If you're looking for a humbrol version of burnt iron, then nr. 53 Gun Metal is the one that can do for you. It's a dark metal colour. You might want to darken it with black or lighten with some silver or aluminium 56 in some cases, but for most exhausts I think 53 is a good colour.

There's a gun metal also in the metalcote line, number 72004

Is your experience with humbrol enamels ? If so MM also have a line of enamels, with all the colours you need.

If you're looking for a humbrol version of burnt iron, then nr. 53 Gun Metal is the one that can do for you. It's a dark metal colour. You might want to darken it with black or lighten with some silver or aluminium 56 in some cases, but for most exhausts I think 53 is a good colour.

There's a gun metal also in the metalcote line, number 72004

thanks Giorigio, yes Humbrol Enamels - guess base of "normal" 53 then weather lighter/darker as appropriate....

I keep thinking, shall I, shant I start this kit... its tempting but I think for now I will hang-fire.... complete the Widgeon, maybe 1 more cheap model just to continue practicing airbrushing....... tempted to put this one off til after Christmas and ask for after-market for pressies (sad but true)....

how about decals? Anyone got any recomendations for F/A-18C (prefer US Carrier based if possible) - twobobs have some but their official site is all out of stock, anyone else I can consider (anyone I should avoid?)

robw! :post1:

the academy F-18 goes together very well. i built one for SMW last year.

avoid CAM decals perhaps. some of their F-18 decals are a bit thick and fragile.

microscale and eaglestrike [?] are two too look out for, mostly secondhand though.

trevor

Edited by Howard of Effingham

• 2 weeks later...
robw! :post1:

the academy F-18 goes together very well. i built one for SMW last year.

avoid CAM decals perhaps. some of their F-18 decals are a bit thick and fragile.

microscale and eaglestrike [?] are two too look out for, mostly secondhand though.

treevor

thanks for the heads up..... any none-purchase mods I should make (perhaps opening a grill or thinning something...... ie a modification to the kit part that doesnt need AM to replace it....)

next qeustion... anyone know of a 3rd party 1/72 CHIPPY HO decal set... been browsing images and if the twobobs kit I like cant be found then Chippy Ho looks like an alternative. Believe Hase did in the box but cant sopt a 3rd party version....

just found:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/mercha...;Category_Code=

VFA/113 HORNET CAG bird.... it says F/A-18C/D so assum e I can use it.....

Edited by robw_uk

next one then (stillon Decals - sort of)... been offered an RAAF F/A-18A set of decals (cobra mouth one which looks good - and means I can switch my genre from "USN aircraft" to "aircraft with mouth art" - A-10 here I come)... anyone able to provide details on the major differences between the -A and -C variants? Anything hideous that I will be critised for (personally I am not a perfectionist so would happily mix the decals).

I know, for example, that I would need to remove the catapult bar which is not a biggie, and that I couldnt use the wing0fold kit (assume RAAF F/A-18 are not known for folding wings).....

next question

Open vs closed exhausts - how would a parked F/A-18C be set up? one of each, both closed, both open - will I notice much difference vs the kit exhausts if I went with the Aires resin ones (will if I need both closed ot 1 closed/1 open)

thanks - and sorry for all the numpty questions... you guys are really giving me some good info.....

To the best of my knowledge the external differences between A and C hornets are limited to a few bumps on the back and on top of the fins. Other sure will know more.

One thing to consider is the timeframe: A model hornets started their life without the 2 vertical strakes located on the lerx. These were then retrofitted.

Regarding the Australian hornets, the catapult bar might not have to be removed: some hornets have it, some don't. The front landing gear also has a landing light missing in the USN planes. I've never seen an RAAF hornet with folded wings, but the wings retain the folding capability. An important difference is in the paint scheme: the upper surfaces are in fs 35237 and not the USN 36320, resulting in a darker appearence.

To the best of my knowledge the external differences between A and C hornets are limited to a few bumps on the back and on top of the fins. Other sure will know more.

One thing to consider is the timeframe: A model hornets started their life without the 2 vertical strakes located on the lerx. These were then retrofitted.

Regarding the Australian hornets, the catapult bar might not have to be removed: some hornets have it, some don't. The front landing gear also has a landing light missing in the USN planes. I've never seen an RAAF hornet with folded wings, but the wings retain the folding capability. An important difference is in the paint scheme: the upper surfaces are in fs 35237 and not the USN 36320, resulting in a darker appearence.

thanks Giorgio.... well will see if I take up the offer of the RAAF ones... there are a few USN ones I like (Stingers, Chippy Ho)... can find Stingers but not Chippy.....

• 2 weeks later...

ok then guys... next reply... plan on this is to build parked, flaps down, cockpit open, ladder.... so 2-3 extras I may need

1) engine nozzles - I see "open" and "closed" - how would a parked F/A-18C have their nozzles? 1 open/closed, both open, both closed....

2) tail vertical surfaces - anyone know of an AM set to move the vertical control surfaces or am I gonna have to cut them form the original

3) anything else... maybe open a couple of hatches - guess that would be the full eduard set?

cheers

ok then guys... next reply... plan on this is to build parked, flaps down, cockpit open, ladder.... so 2-3 extras I may need

2) tail vertical surfaces - anyone know of an AM set to move the vertical control surfaces or am I gonna have to cut them form the original

cheers

Just as easy to do them yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
Just as easy to do them yourself.

thanks JAbba,

beginning to wonder if £10+ for the wolfpack wing kits is a little OTT and maybe I can do it myself.... having said that I can't make "head nor tail" f the photos to show which bits dropp where, when, in what configuration when the aircraft is parked... can anyone point me in a good direction? Have seen a 1/32 build on here with it done which is a started (Seamus I think) but anyone with a step-by-step "chop, position,. glue" guide that a numpty can follow....

getting twitchy on this kit and may start it once I am through with the WIF GB (so late September i guess)

• 3 months later...

guys, have sourced the Eduard PE set might not use all of it but some good additions in the cockpit) from Hannants but cant find a UK supplier for the wolfpack wingfold kit. Does anyone know of one, or a reputable international one with good shipping rates to the UK?

thanks in advance

Modelsforsale has the whole wolfpack range in their online catalogue.

Have you decided the decal version ? if you go for the RAAF let me know, I took some pictures last month in australia.

thanks, will try them then (might get the EA-6B wingfold while I am at it)

for markings I have a two-bobs set so will use that (cant remember which set it is), its for the Hasegawa not Academy version so guess the tailfin markings may not be 100% correct, will have to check that out

Lucky Models stock them and send them post free.

ok, will check them too. Trying to source both the wingfold and the Eduard PE set from the same place if possible (I know there were resin exhausts but dont know if they will add a great deal.... any thoughts?)

I've never seen an RAAF hornet with folded wings, but the wings retain the folding capability.

I have :). RAAF Hornets definitely retain and use the wingfold from time to time, even if only at airshows. IIRC all legacy hornets retain the wingfold. I think there was a plan to delete it for a proposed simplified land-based export version (F-18L I think) but there were no takers so it was never produced.

Edited by mumbles