* 1/72 Halifax FINISHED!

Milo Black

Hurro! Thanks to the immense generosity of Erwin, my partner's 11-y-o daughter Sophie will be building the Matchbox 1/72 Halifax (probably with a bit of help from me here and there, but she does want to do the bulk of it herself). Sophie built a P-51 Mustang for the Airfix Starter Kit GB, and is gradually filling her "model shelf" with completed builds, after she watched me working on a 1/72 Vulcan and thought "I'll have some of that" :)

I'm away from home this week, but sprue shots and starting pics will be up next weekend.

Edited by Deon

:welcome: to the groupbuild Sophie.

I hope you have fun building it.

Are you going to build it unpainted,mini paintplan or fully painted ?

Edited by Erwin

:welcome: to the groupbuild Sophie.

I hope you have fun building it.

Are you going to build it unpainted,mini paintplan or fully painted ?

Never one to do things by halves, I think she's decided on fully-painted, Erwin.

• 2 weeks later...

great cockpit build & nice crew figures well done

I'm afraid I can't see this getting finished in the next two weeks - it's a big kit, and there has been no progress this weekend (FAR too much TV to watch, it appears.....).

Erwin, I feel really bad about this, since you donated the kit - I'll be happy to return it to you. It's a shame she's actually started it at all in some ways. PM me with your address if you would like this.

Not a happy bunny.

I'm afraid I can't see this getting finished in the next two weeks - it's a big kit, and there has been no progress this weekend (FAR too much TV to watch, it appears.....).

Erwin, I feel really bad about this, since you donated the kit - I'll be happy to return it to you. It's a shame she's actually started it at all in some ways. PM me with your address if you would like this.

NO WAY !!

I gave it for her to build. She's doesn't have to feel bad if she can't make the deadline at all. Can't expect an eleven year old girll to only build models and not play or watch her favourite programs.

She can carry on at her own speed and post the finished model in the gallery even after the end of the GB.

Edited by Erwin

OK, guys, thanks for that. You can understand I don't want to chivvy her along too much - I don't want it to be "something Milo wants me to do" rather than "something I want to do", which is of course the point.

I'll let you know as and when things develop.... whenever that is.

Not a happy bunny.

Hi,

Let her take her time with it,there is a lot of parts in that kit,it might look a bit daunting to an 11 year old,afterall the holidays are almost upon us,she will have 6 weeks to play with it.

Regards Rob.

This has been quietly proceeding apace over the last few evenings - not as many progress pics as I would have liked, but Sophie generally forgets to take them when she's on a roll......

It appears that the fuse was zipped up by Wednesday .....

Progress2506_1.jpg

Progress2506_2.jpg

Progress2506_3.jpg

... and somewhere between Wednesday and Friday evenings, we arrived here .....

Progress2506_4.jpg

Progress2506_5.jpg

Progress2506_6.jpg

She seems to have run into a few things - the carpet-monster ate a transparent part, u/c legs got broken coming off the sprue - but she's found her own solutions (one of the windows is now made of cling-film), and the first I knew of any of it was yesterday evening when she said "nearly finished" :)

I've suggested painting the exhausts, canopy framing, retouching the paintwork a little and maybe some exhaust staining on the wings... she also noticed the radio aerials..... but what she'll decide to do is of course down to her. She may just go for "decals and done". I'll let you know ;)

Finished!!! (Oh me of little faith ;) )

I had little or nothing to do with this build - this happened in The Holiest Of Holies (i.e. Sophie's bedroom), well away from prying eyes and any (possibly) helpful suggestions from know-nothing grown-ups...

Finished_5.jpg

More pics in the gallery.