Bruntingthorpe

I make no apologies for the amount of phots here but it was an outstanding day of action up at Bruntingthorpe. Many thanks to all those who made it possible.

Couple of cancellations occurred such as the planned flypast by the BBMF LAnc, cancelled because of Hi gh crosswinds at Coningsby, and the fast run of the Nimrod because of some legal issue with the MOD. anyhow on with the show.

The new arrival

DSC_6212.jpg

and its cohort

DSC_6180.jpg

Ex Romanian "dolphin" in wonderful condition, retired 1973

DSC_6188.jpg

another ex RAF Buc iv'e not seen before.

DSC_6197.jpg

A Beautifully restored Cessna C18

DSC_6207.jpg

The Iskara in her new colours

DSC_6230.jpg

DSC_6231.jpg

Hunters a go go

DSC_6234.jpg

The beautiful RN Buc

DSC_6257.jpg

904 strutting her stuff ( both engines)

DSC_6310.jpg

DSC_6319.jpg

Raspberry Ripple Canberra

DSC_6391.jpg

Last but not least Teasin Tina in her freshly applied paintwork!

DSC_6447.jpg

DSC_6350.jpg

DSC_6438.jpg

DSC_6445.jpg

Tons of phots taken today here's to the next one!

Any pics of the LPG guys towing out 904 from the Q-shed to the pan early on in the morning per chance???, some silly sod was sat her while she was being moved :blush: .

Regards,

JB.

Gorgeous photos!

Oh how I wish I could get over to one of those shows!

And what an amazing amount of work goes on there, that paint job on Tina must have been some undertaking.

Thanks for sharing

Mart

Any pics of the LPG guys towing out 904 from the Q-shed to the pan early on in the morning per chance???, some silly sod was sat her while she was being moved :blush: .

Regards,

JB.

Unfortunately not, I was right over the far side by the Sea Vixen when I saw the tail moving! Thats when I made a dash for my shooting spot with hundreds of others!

Hogging the Cockpit was one?

Oi! Our Beech 18 is a Beech not a Cessna!

Oh Gawd im REALLY sorry, I have Cessna's on the brain as there was a lovely Garmin Glass cockpit 184 on the Light aircraft park!

I shall now take myself out to be shot!

Still Lovely work though!

It will fly when it's ready...

?? you mean its being prepped to fly and not potter about on the ground like the rest of them? Lol think my licence covers those..... was going to post some pics I took but didn't want to barge in on someone elses posts.

Was a good day, only downer I saw was some officious Space Cadets not letting some dude take his pics of the ten and standing in front of him and him losing his rag at them.. wasn't needed on both sides and it only leaves a bad taste, rest of them did a good job as normal with parking etc, wonder if they enjoyed their trip in the comet.

Edited by TonyT

I hope that's an open invitation to anyone who was there to post photos...otherwise, I'm going to look pretty presumptuous!

I won't duplicate too many of the shots already posted - honest.

I was hoping to capture this - the long spike that comes from the back of the engine nozzle for a split second as reheat is engaged...got it!

spike.jpg

And then he heads off down the runway with both engines on reheat - the noisiest thing you'll ever hear:

spike5.jpg

Thunderbirds indeed...

spike4.jpg

The Buccaneer seemed to do a very gentle run...almost disappointing. Looked nice though:

spike1.jpg

Buccaneer backseater photographing the photographers photographing the photographer: (Huh?)

spike2.jpg

Smoky cartridge start on the Canberra:

spike3.jpg

And this could be the basis of a new competition - identifying the aircraft from its shadow...

spike7.jpg

All in all a good noisy day out, and because of the high winds being chilly I didn't realise I was getting sunburned! Bad case of panda eyes at the moment. Or it might have been the shotblasting my face got from the grit on the runway every fast taxy!

Lovely.

Cheers,

Dean

All in all a good noisy day out, and because of the high winds being chilly I didn't realise I was getting sunburned!

You too lol, my head feels like a radiator.

Ok couple of shots, Starting with the Frightning

Lightningrunsmall.jpg

LightningtaxismallJPG.jpg

Tinasml1.jpg

Displaysmall.jpg

Also have a walkround of the Scout Helicopter if anyone is interested.

And this one caught off to one side, his dad had I believe told him to stand behind the barriers as the Canberra was strutting his stuff.

Future Pilot

FuturePilot.jpg

Daft question, but does anyone know why they have repainted the Victor in what appears to be desert pink? Or is it just the colours in Tony's pictures need tweaking?

I understand the Nimrod thing was because the RAF still own it (for now).

The Victor is currently a couple of shades too dark but the intention is that it will fade to the right colour soon enough.

As far as the Nimrod goes, the MOD have not yet raised the invoice for the sale of the aircraft to the museum hence it still belongs to the MOD and as such Bruntingthorpe is not allowed to treat it as its own, despite it being delivered some 3 weeks ago.

It appears that the MOD are as slow in the sales dept as they are in the procurement dept! Why should Britain tremble?

Edited by Phartycr0c

Gents,

The Victor is painted correctly and will not fade to hemp!!!, they even found the origional desert pink when sanding back the old scheme so they know she did wear it.

Regards,

JB.

Thanks for putting your photos on here Gents.......I was really looking forward to attending Bruntingthorpe for the first time but my son was ill on the day so we could not make it......oh well! He`s much better now though and hopefully things will work out right for the next one...are they annually or is there another this year sometime?

All the best

Tony O

Sure it wasn't primer, a lot of primer used on fiberglass and none metallic aircraft panels is pink JB

Tony O, they do a few including an evening one, Fmk.6john should be able to give you more info, PM him..

Edited by TonyT

No Victor ever wore desert pink!

I honestly can't understand why some people are trying to say otherwise. The guy who actually did about 97% of the spraying isn't bothered about the discussion at all - as far as he's concerned, the RAF were asked for the paint spec, they supplied a spec, the paint was ordered and he sprayed it on. It's very obviously not hemp and therefore not right but trying to make it out it is right does nobody any good. Obviously there was a misunderstanding somewhere and I guess the pink wasn't spotted while working under the hangar lights but it's very very obviously pink and not hemp. The guy who airbrushed the replacement "Teasin' Tina" did a pretty naff job too - it's not much like the original. At the end of the day it hardly matters - 715 desperately needed a bunch of skin repairs and a repaint, and she's had both so is good for many more years in the great outdoors. She probably will fade to something closer to the authentic hemp colour anyway - come back in five years and we'll see!

Ok, I'll leave it to those who know better.

JB.

JB

I have chatted to a few friends who were pilots on the Sqn during GW1 and they confirm that no Victor was ever painted in desert pink. Hemp and lt aircraft grey only for the Victor during GW1.

The only large ac that got a different colour scheme for GW1 were Pinky and Perky, the 2 Tristar tankers that got an ARTF desert pink and possibly a Herc or two. Everybody else wore their standard hemp and lt aircraft grey (Nimrod, Victor and VC10) and green or grey and green (C130)

Picture of Teasin Tina (and the rest of the Victor fleet ) at what appears to be Muharraq in Bahrain can be found here

Edited by Roland Pulfrew