Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

I know this in't the correct place and I appreciate why the correct place has the post limit but having completely ruined my canopy with paint that refuses to budge under any chemical or physical attack and having turned it nearly opaque I need a new one, apologies if I breaking the rules, but if anyone has a spare main part from the revell 1/72 single seater to donate I will be very gratefull, really don't want to have to wait weeks to get one from revell themselves

thanks

• 2 months later...

I genuinely don't know - the only photos I've seen of Taurus are the development rounds carried by IPA 7 (have a look on the Eurofighter website for them) and those are dark green. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of an operational Taurus round.

• 1 month later...

reminds me, are there sprays on the market that accurattly represent the german and italian colours?

I don't believe so, no. The German colour is available from Xtracrylix and Mr Color, and I believe the Italian grey is available in an Italian Air Force set from Life Colour, but those are normal pots of paint rather than sprays.

Time for me to stop procrastinating with posting these pics from Zeltweg, Austria in 2013:

A couple of Austrian machines, one with Smokewinders mounted.

IMG_0729_zps68ac5a40.jpg

IMG_0837_zpsec0bb3df.jpg

IMG_0838_zps585f22dd.jpg

A Spanish two seat machine, a couple of morning shots and one a bit later on:

IMG_0694_zpsbac615ed.jpg

IMG_0695_zps5fe2da38.jpg

IMG_0869_zpse7dc573c.jpg

thought not, guess I have to use halfrods mixing service, but have the suspicion there using the FS code for the luftwaffe gray will still be wrong

The FS number listed is right. It's come off the paint chart for the jet.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay thanks bobski, will try it out at some point, quick question would it be unrealistic to arm the twin seater like the single with the twin tanks and asraams plus 4 amraams?

Yes. Twin-seaters are combat-capable but are primarily used for training, so in reality all you're likely to see on an RAF twin-seater is a single training ASRAAM and maybe a RAIDS pod with either two tanks or a single centreline tank.

For a German aircraft you'd have a training IRIS-T in place of the training ASRAAM and maybe an FPR pod in place of RAIDS. Again, these are flown with either a single centreline tank or two wing tanks, but I have seen photos of a German twin-seater with that missile fit and three tanks.

Another point to note is that the unpainted areas (ie radomes etc.) are all the same colour on all the aircraft, ie RAF Camouflage (Barley) Grey, as are the 1000 litre tanks.

• Like 1

Yes. Twin-seaters are combat-capable but are primarily used for training, so in reality all you're likely to see on an RAF twin-seater is a single training ASRAAM and maybe a RAIDS pod with either two tanks or a single centreline tank.

For a German aircraft you'd have a training IRIS-T in place of the training ASRAAM and maybe an FPR pod in place of RAIDS. Again, these are flown with either a single centreline tank or two wing tanks, but I have seen photos of a German twin-seater with that missile fit and three tanks.

Another point to note is that the unpainted areas (ie radomes etc.) are all the same colour on all the aircraft, ie RAF Camouflage (Barley) Grey, as are the 1000 litre tanks.

okay thanks, that last point confuses me, thought the radomes are different on all users to start with and vary due to fading, and I know for a fact that RAF twin seater radome look different to the barely grey the rest of the aircraft is painted

okay thanks, that last point confuses me, thought the radomes are different on all users to start with and vary due to fading, and I know for a fact that RAF twin seater radome look different to the barely grey the rest of the aircraft is painted

They are all RAF camouflage grey (or the FS equivalent) from the factory for all users and they darken in service. Remember also that they aren't painted. They have a coating on them instead, so they will always look slightly different to a painted airframe.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just picked up Xtracyrlix FS35237, and its nothing like the real shade much darker than it should be even accounting for the scale effect and more significantly severely lacks the blue tint, hmm

FS35237 is the correct shade of grey for the real aircraft. You need to take the effect of scale into account.

Another comparison for you. Compare the pictures of German aircraft with the picture of the Saudi aircraft I linked in my original post. The darker grey on the Saudi aircraft is the same grey as the German aircraft.

I'm only giving you the colour of the actual aircraft. How you interpret that on your model is up to you.