Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

Any chance anyone could tell me what FS36492 is in humrol or similar please? As i'd like to do an Austrian machine.

Thankyou

David

According to this handy paint conversion chart I found a little while ago (Linky) it is Humbrol 196, or Tamiya Light Grey.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update as these have just come out on the Eurofighter website - IPA 1 from Warton recently did some release trials of Meteor and Eurofighter have released a few photos:

034AW_182c25afc8.jpg

048AW_f0e40cf6d9.jpg

This one is my favourite and the new desktop image on my work PC:

044AW_e47256d565.jpg

All photos are copyright Eurofighter GmbH

great pictures l am putting them into my computer for future reference when l do the revell kits (1/72 and 1/32) but my question is and l know this bad boy has at least one but where is the cannon? They are standard issue on all planes these days (remember the phantoms did not have any and made close in dogfighting impossible)

great pictures l am putting them into my computer for future reference when l do the revell kits (1/72 and 1/32) but my question is and l know this bad boy has at least one but where is the cannon? They are standard issue on all planes these days (remember the phantoms did not have any and made close in dogfighting impossible)

Typhoon Cannon

IMG_4448copy.jpg

Net Photo( Lewis Chalmers photographer)

TP_472_edited_Large_.jpg

Note the staining in front of the cannon muzzle ( Photo Terry Senior)

Spanish GUN Typhoon

cbyapril10.jpg

Net Photo ( Exocet_UK)

Edited by magman2

As the photos above show, the cannon is located in the starboard wing root and the muzzle is usually covered with a frangible muzzle cap. This cap can be fired through, however on sorties when cannon fire is planned or anticipated then it is likely the cover will be removed before flight.

There are larger versions of the three Meteor photos available on Eurofighter.com.

As the photos above show, the cannon is located in the starboard wing root and the muzzle is usually covered with a frangible muzzle cap. This cap can be fired through, however on sorties when cannon fire is planned or anticipated then it is likely the cover will be removed before flight.

4v33pj.jpg

Net Photo (P.Maglio)

• 2 months later...

Having just completed the paintwork on my 1/32 Typhoon, For rapid coverage of this large airframe, Halfords Ford Polar Grey is the perfect match for Barley, Camo grey (Humbrol 167).

It goes on evenly, dries quickly and gives a great gloss finish ready for decals. This can obviously be toned down later if required.

Ill pop a couple of phots up shortly.

Gents,

This is a update of some of my more recent Typhoon pics, taken in September 2011 at RAF Coningsby. The full thread, including other types can be found here;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77385

Typhoon FGR4 ZJ921/QO-H taxiing to runway 25 with two Enhanced Paveway IIs, the LITENING pod is also being carried on the centreline, although not visible. These were dropped on Aberporth range in Wales, and this sortie is part of a pilots qualification course.

IMG_8880.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

Sequence showing Tranche two FGR4's ZJ946/EH and ZJ947/EI also taxiing to 25. Note that only one aircraft carries the inboard ASRAAM/AMRAAM rail, as these tend to only be fitted if required, and are usually a good guide to whenever a aircraft has been used on QRA.

IMG_8913.jpg

IMG_8973.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

IMG_8980.jpg

Close up of the markings of ZJ946/EH, as both of these aircraft are now assigned back to Coningsby and 17® Sqn (ZJ947 never even made it to Leuchars!), I assume both will revert back to their former units markings if the move is permanent, if such a thing is possible with the Typhoon fleet!

IMG_2887.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

The new Helmet Mounted Sight that is being introduced to all Typhoon partner countries, and is 'expected' to be operational by the end of the year. I have only seen it being used on these two jets so far, although I have heard of sightings on other 17® Sqn aircraft and crews.

IMG_2884.jpg

Still carrying last years BoB anniversary markings for 3(F) Sqn. Note that this was only applied on the lefthand side.

IMG_2816.jpg

ZJ915/BY is a option in one of the kits that is available. The aircraft is one of the oldest on the fleet, but spent about four years as a hangar queen after a few months of operation in 2005/6. It was brought back to flying status last year, only to be returned to Warton for the block 5 FGR4 upgrade. Since it's return it has been deployed on Operation Ellamy, which is why it is still fitted with the inboard pylons, which are exclusively used for air-to-ground stores. Again, these are usually only fitted if and when required.

IMG_2937.jpg

The two earlier Tranche two jets returning to Coningsby. Note the PIRATE infra-red sensor turret, which is not fitted to all Tranche two aircraft, so is not a indication of whenever an aircraft is a F2 or FGR4

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

Early former T1, now a T3. recently marked for 3(F) Sqn.

IMG_9022.jpg

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Nice photos!

The HMSS helmet can be worn in any of the Tranche 2 aircraft, and since only 17 Sqn and 6 Sqn currently have Tranche 2 jets on strength they are the only crews you are likely to see wearing the kit. I'm not sure whether it is going to be integrated back onto the Tranche 1 fleet or not...

Regarding the PIRATE - its absence is an identifier of an F2, but only on a Tranche 1 jet. Some of the early Tranche 2 jets were delivered without it, but it is being fitted to the jets as units become available.

Thanks. Its taken a while but have finally noticed that the PIRATE sensor is now being added/removed from the fleet while in service. At least one of the early 6 Sqn jets that went to Lechuars without it has been photographed now fitted, and I saw a pic earlier this year of ZJ946 flying from Coningsby without it (and a what looked like a hastily added panel to cover the position as well). It must have been fitted again quickly as pics show it was soon back again.

Went back up to Coningsby yesterday, weather was bad and wouldn't have gone normally but somebody I know wanted to have a look and was only able to go then so took the day off. Only one aircraft in good light;

IMG_3320.jpg

I couldn't remember what other jets had been seen with the HMSS previously, but did think that some of 17®'s early Tranche one jets had flown with the HMSS, and this was ZJ914/AF yesterday. I'd guess that their jets have been modified, as besides the 6 Sqn marked aircraft and two-seat ZK303/AX (which has been at Warton for ages), all their current aircraft are from the Tranche one build.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all. I'm looking to do a Saudi Eurofighter, instead of an Austrian one for now.

What weapons would they be likely to have on them??

David

AMRAAM and IRIS-T at the moment.

Edited by Bobski

• 1 month later...

Gents,

As I've been posting up recent pics of RAF Typhoons that carry Operation Elllamy markings on an ad hoc basis in the various photography and build threads for a while now, I thought it would help if I pulled them into a single reference, and add a few more from a trip upto RAF Coningsby on friday. Just a few points first; all aircraft deployed to Gioia del Colle in Italy were FGR4, block 5 models (fitted with PIRATE) drawn from the Coningsby units, and carried 29®, 3(F) and 11(F) Sqn markings (I don't believe any from 17® were deployed). Personnel were apparently drawn from 6 Sqn to bolster numbers, but their block 8 Typhoons were not. The aircraft were also frequently rotated.

Typhoon FGR4 ZJ927/QO-M with 56 LGB marks, the highest total.

6199262016_10ed7bd5bd_o.jpg

6199262022_b38f075460_o.jpg

6199262040_138567cb82_o.jpg

ZJ921/QO-H shows just a single mark.

IMG_9313.jpg

ZJ928/BX also shows just a single LGB mark. This aircraft was amongst the first batch sent out and was photographed back at Coningsby while the operation was still ongoing.

IMG_2349.jpg

ZJ935/DJ, marked for 11 Sqn, shows 8 LGB marks.

6267215275_9141db56a1_o.jpg

6267741216_bc7fff81bb_o.jpg

ZJ923/DM shows 23 LGB marks.

6267215455_a8a9440a98_o.jpg

ZJ919/DC with 15 LGB marks.

IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

ZJ916 was coded QO-U and carries 6 LGB marks. But as of earlier this week the codes have been removed and the fin decal is looking a little worse for wear. Pics from both sides.

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

Other aircraft marked that I haven't photographed are as below;

ZJ925/QO-R 2 LGB marks

ZJ933/DF 36 LGB marks

Gary

• 2 months later...

Some nice underside payload images here.

It is from a newsletter; you will need to scroll down the items until you find the relevant images. There are 3 images relevant to Tiffies there.

HTH

Mike

• 2 months later...

Back to the colors for a moment: I remember some pictures (on the Eurofighter web site?) showing aircraft of the four partner nation's air airms parked sided by side or flying side by side. The spanish aircraft is a little bit darker than the german one. During the Airpower airshows at Zeltweg 2009 and 2011 german and austrian Eurofighters were parked side by side and the Austrians are a little bit lighter than the german planes - therefore austrian and spanish Eurofighters cannot have the same color. An austrian modeller said to me, that the austrian aircraft are - maybe - painted in FS 36270.

airdata book 5 eurofighter typhoon

gives the coloours as follows

Austrian fs35237

saudi fs36320 & fs36375 disruptive

italian fs36492

spanish fs 36280

raf bs381c

german fs35237

hope that helps

having seen the raf ones reguarly they fade very fast

so you could have 2 jets both painted the same, but the older one would look different as its faded

check out the pannel under the nose on this, same paint but a new coat on the pannel

wctiffy.jpg

Quick question gents... are there any available Paveways suitable for displaying on a British Typhoon (the only set I know of are I think in a boxset by Skunk?) AND are there any available inner pylons? If not for the latter, is it a relatively easy job to convert some to do the job?

(there are some refs to AIRframe accessories in a set of their decals for the Typhoon, don't know if these were still around or were exclusive to just their website)

Quick question gents... are there any available Paveways suitable for displaying on a British Typhoon (the only set I know of are I think in a boxset by Skunk?) AND are there any available inner pylons? If not for the latter, is it a relatively easy job to convert some to do the job?

(there are some refs to AIRframe accessories in a set of their decals for the Typhoon, don't know if these were still around or were exclusive to just their website)

Keep an eye on Hannants web site they have taken over the Aviation workshop Decals & resin molds but will be awhile coming back !!.

having seen the raf ones reguarly they fade very fast

so you could have 2 jets both painted the same, but the older one would look different as its faded

check out the pannel under the nose on this, same paint but a new coat on the pannel

wctiffy.jpg

Yes, you are right, the same color doesn't look the same because of weathering, dirt,... But the austrian Eurofighter-color ist lighter and less blue than the german one, not because of weathering and dirt: If you look at pictures of Austrian Typhoons (airfighters.com,...), they are not really weathered so far.