Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

in other news stumbled accross this article, looks like a few more export sales, and that we might actually see brimstones, meteors and storm shadows goign operational in the next few years on the tiffie

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/show-daily/dubai-air-show/2015/11/09/eurofighter-reveals-enhancements-for-typhoons/75459116/

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Why?

You don't necessarily need a designation pod to drop LGB's. you can have your bombs designated by another aircraft or by a ground based designator. Its desirable to have a Designator pod fitted but not mandatory.

Selwyn

Plus, British Enhanced Paveways have a dual GPS guidance, so again, desirable but not mandatory to have a pod.

BAe and the first release of a Storm Shadow from Typhoon at Aberporth.

http://www.baesystems.com/en/article/first-storm-shadow-missile-successfully-released-from-typhoon

Cheers, Ian

Actually just realised I do own a LITENING pod, its from a F-15E kit, is it suitable aside from possible rotating the front end like the f-16 one has to be?

It isn't a LITENING pod on an F-15E. It's a LANTIRN pod, which is longer and thinner than LITENING, so it isn't suitable at all.

It isn't a LITENING pod on an F-15E. It's a LANTIRN pod, which is longer and thinner than LITENING, so it isn't suitable at all.

oops being a thicky, was assuming that because the LITENING was in a kit with the Eagle it was used on them, which means its identical to the one on F-16's so would need the front rotated for the eurofighrter, I know their a darker shade of grey, is it Dark Sea Grey?

Edited by PhantomBigStu

oops being a thicky, was assuming that because the LITENING was in a kit with the Eagle it was used on them, which means its identical to the one on F-16's so would need the front rotated for the eurofighrter, I know their a darker shade of grey, is it Dark Sea Grey?

I would check the pod in your F-15E kit. If you have the Revell kit then it is a LANTIRN pod in the box, not a LITENING pod. I'm pretty sure the same is true of the Academy kit. I think the LITENING pods are Gunship Grey, but I don't know.

I would check the pod in your F-15E kit. If you have the Revell kit then it is a LANTIRN pod in the box, not a LITENING pod. I'm pretty sure the same is true of the Academy kit. I think the LITENING pods are Gunship Grey, but I don't know.

It's the 2012 hasegawa with both the lantirn nav pod and the lightning pod from their weapon set 9, guessing gunship grey makes more sense, counter productive to paint a dark grey pod a different shade of dark grey when the a/c is in a medium grey

I thought I should also flag-up the fact that the prominent air intake is on the port side of pods used by the UK, but on the starboard side as used by many others and as modelled by hasegawa.

If using Hasegawa parts as a base for a UK pod, the airscoop must be moved from starboard to port.

Cheers, Ian

thanks for the advice, now another question, have got the 3sqn anniversary decals, aside from the colour matched xtracolour paint, is there an acrylic that near enough, been given humbrol 2 and 3, and revell 64 and 65 as near matches

I'm not aware of one, no.

• 3 weeks later...

New to this thread and was wondering what are the best 1/48 and/or 1/32 scale Typhoons out there? Also, does anyone make decals for an Austrian Typhoon?

Revell in both scales. Better detail but can be a challenging fit so take your time with them.

Austrian decals are in the Revell single-seater in 1/48 and (I think) 1/72. Don't know about 1/32.

• Like 1

Revell in both scales. Better detail but can be a challenging fit so take your time with them.

Austrian decals are in the Revell single-seater in 1/48 and (I think) 1/72. Don't know about 1/32.

Thanks. I will have to check out the Revell kits then. What do you think about the 1/72 Hasegawa Typhoon?

hasegawa typhoon is bettrer than the revell though more expensive and harder to source, at the moment end up paying 20-25 quid to get it shipped from Japan, though cheaper normally from HLJ (its not avalble at the moment, old boxings been dropped new ones in short supply) , will have to source austrian decals from elsewhere

Thanks. I will have to check out the Revell kits then. What do you think about the 1/72 Hasegawa Typhoon?

Hasegawa goes together better, but it is four times the price, the nozzles only represent a jet under power in flight and the ejection seat is garbage. Neither are easily replaced either.

• 2 weeks later...

I m looking for some pictures of the area just behind the seat in the single seat cockpit. I m building a Revell kit and I want to add some detail in the area. From whatever I have seen, it looks like quite a busy area compared to other jets.