Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Could anyone give me some guidance on the undercarriage bays/legs colours, I am building the Revell 1/48th model as an RAF machine, they suggest white but it looks more of a grey in the photos, I use Humbrol enamel paints but hopefully can cross ref the colour in their paint ref chart.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi all

Could anyone give me some guidance on the undercarriage bays/legs colours, I am building the Revell 1/48th model as an RAF machine, they suggest white but it looks more of a grey in the photos, I use Humbrol enamel paints but hopefully can cross ref the colour in their paint ref chart.

Thanks in advance

Chris

They are light grey on all aircraft, regardless of operator. I'm pretty sure it's light aircraft grey, but you'll need to lighten it for scale effect. Edited by Bobski

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone,

Are the external fuel tanks a different colour in Bundesluftwaffe machines? Even in the picture posted above they look different, closer to the radome... Barley Grey? Both tanks and pylons? what about the rest of the pylons?

Fernando

Hi, everyone,

Are the external fuel tanks a different colour in Bundesluftwaffe machines? Even in the picture posted above they look different, closer to the radome... Barley Grey? Both tanks and pylons? what about the rest of the pylons?

Fernando

The tanks are the same colour for all nations, including the pylon that is part of the tank. They are Barley Grey, or an FS number very close to it. The weapons pylons are the colour of the aircraft as far I am aware.

• Like 3

No, need extra pylons for QRA, and another pair of asraams, the pylons sadly are different to the ones in the kit, haven't checked my one to make sure but the hasegawa one i believe comes with it as does the Airfix one (but are probably wrong like the rest of the kit)

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to build a current QRA Typhoon from the Revell 1/72 kit? It has decals for No.3, 11, 17 and 29® squadrons. Am more than a little confused by all the Tranche numbers!

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

No, need extra pylons for QRA, and another pair of asraams, the pylons sadly are different to the ones in the kit, haven't checked my one to make sure but the hasegawa one i believe comes with it as does the Airfix one (but are probably wrong like the rest of the kit)

I've seen pictures of a 2 ASRAAM + 4 AMRAAM QRA load that can be done with the Revell kit, however it's a lot less common than the 4+4. The Hasegawa kit has all the pylons and launchers needed for a 4+4 load. Avoid the Airfix kit if at all possible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

currently decalling the hasegawa typhoon and they really don't make it clear as to the pylon decals the digram just shows a warning triangle on each of the 3 pylons on one side, yet theres enough for ones on both sides of the pylons with 4 spare?

80593556-1EA8-431A-8203-38BA6ABCB93A_zps

I'm pretty sure there should be one either side of each pylon, including the centreline pylon, and one either side of each tank pylon.

thanks, did a bit of searcing just now and you are correct, found a couple pic that shows warning traingles on both sides, can't find any of the fuel tanks pylons with triangles, only the larger alternative ones

The triangles are on the tanks themselves rather than the pylon (it's all one unit).

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the location of the anti coll strobes on an RAF Typhoon - I know one is on the centre spine but the other is...?

Cheers,

Dermot

Bottom of the intake, similar position as the black aerial but on the opposite side and slightly further forward (photo from Wikipedia)

1024px-Eurofighter_Typhoon_FGR4_4_%28596

Edited by Bobski

Couple of Typhoon related question. Sorry if these have been answered before, I could not see them in the previous 10 pages.

1) Do the lower lips of the engine intake always drop when the aircraft is at rest ie no electrical power, most photos seem to show that, but most kits dont.

2) Do the wing leading edge slats ever open when on the ground, even under electrical power, assume these are computer controlled and only work under aerodynamic loading.

3) Is there any locking mechanism to the canards, rudder or trailing edge flaps, or can these be moved by hand / or the wind, when at rest.

and finally paint, yes I know its a nightmare, but what aerosol spray can (from Halfords or similar) is the best match for the overall finish of a 1/72 scale RAF camo gray machine.

Thanks in advance, Paul

I can't answer those questions I'm afraid. Your best bet is to look at photos and go with what you see.

Ref the paint - I'm not sure but I think Humbrol do an RAF Camouflage Grey spray can.

Edited by Bobski

humbrol don't do a spray, but halfords ford polar grey is a good approximation but some halfords stores have a paint mixing service which is capable of mixing paints to British standards, federal standards and others as well aside from car makers own ranges, though does seem hit a miss whether the staff in charge are aware of the fact the machines can do them, Camo Grey is British Standard BS381c627

Thanks for the advice re Halfords Ford Polar Grey. I am really only after a good finish for a flightline diorama I have been asked to complete. Photos, and indeed the real things, seem to change colour tone dependant on the lighting conditions to a surprising amount, never mind the weathering and exhaust staining.