Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

I do see Typhoon carrying Storm Shadow missiles in the picture below.

https://twitter.com/Eurofighter_1/status/664435272076120064

Can RAF Typhoons carry Storm Shadow or is just a static display?

This picture is just a "what if" static display, the Imaginary twin store gives it away.

As PhantomBigStu says its undergoing trials as we speak.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2013/11/eurofighter-typhoon-flight-tests-storm-shadow-missile-started/

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

This picture is just a "what if" static display, the Imaginary twin store gives it away.

As PhantomBigStu says its undergoing trials as we speak.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2013/11/eurofighter-typhoon-flight-tests-storm-shadow-missile-started/

Selwyn

The news is from 2013 so does it mean that in 2015 and beyond, it should be able to carry Storm Shadow?

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where can I find correct decals for ASRAAM? I m building a 1/48 RAF Typhoon and am I finding out some decals in Revell kit are inaccurate.

Revell's kit decals are correct for a live ASRAAM, although they are quite basic and don't include all of the stencils. Ignore the placement instructions too as they are wrong - go from photos instead.

I'm not aware of any other decals for them anywhere, either in kits or aftermarket.

Edited by Bobski
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I just started building the Revell 1/48 Typhoon single seater. I've discovered that the decal identification numbers on the instruction sheet do not match those next to the decals. It'll take hours to identify and correlate the decals with the correct numbers. Can anyone assist with this?

Hello all. I just started building the Revell 1/48 Typhoon single seater. I've discovered that the decal identification numbers on the instruction sheet do not match those next to the decals. It'll take hours to identify and correlate the decals with the correct numbers. Can anyone assist with this?

Download the instruction sheet from revell.de website. The sheet there has correct decal numbers.

Also, it would be better to use TwoBobs decals for RAF Typhoon. They have correct color and their stencil details is more subtle than stark in the kit sheet. I m almost done with my single seater and will be posting pictures soon :)

Thanks guys. I'll get the instructions online. Should have thought of that before I spent the past hour staring at a decal sheet correlating numbers. Lol. That's part of my life I won't get back!

• 2 months later...

hello everybody,

can someone help me(?)

i`m looking for  some detailed photos of 1:(spine )airbrake housing (rear&front)

2: (open) tailchute housing 

thx in advance,

frankie

• 4 months later...

evening all, Great resource for Typhoon, some good pictures and good knowledge base. I currently work at RAF coningsby as a weapons engineer and recently spent 5 years on 6 Sqn up at Lossiemouth/leuchars. Any info or pics i can supply i will, however bear in mind we are limited to what we can release to the general public. However i will help where i can.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2017 at 7:16 PM, daront said:

evening all, Great resource for Typhoon, some good pictures and good knowledge base. I currently work at RAF coningsby as a weapons engineer and recently spent 5 years on 6 Sqn up at Lossiemouth/leuchars. Any info or pics i can supply i will, however bear in mind we are limited to what we can release to the general public. However i will help where i can.

Oooh, can you ask someone there why the heck the nose gear door is a noticable amount shorter than the gear well?! Its been bugging me for years, have never been able to get an answer :)

• 4 weeks later...

No. Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug make a number of reasonably accurate 1:1 version. Much higher part count than the other models, but you can't really complain about it's accuracy. Airfix did a 1:24 scale Typhoon, although it really looks nothing like the pictures on this thread and it only has one engine.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, James S. said:

Are there any really good 1/48 or 1/32 Eurofighter Typhoon kits out there?

Thanks,

James

Best kit in both scales, in terms of accuracy at least, is Revell. The fit is problematic in a few places though.

Italeri's kit in 1/48 is based on the original development aircraft and has a number of inaccuracies compared to the production aircraft. It's also got a few shape issues, particularly around the rear fuselage and the wing tip pods.

Trumpeter's kit in 1/32 is a scaled-up copy of the Italeri kit. It has the same shape issues (only much worse) and the weapons pylons are all undersized. Costs twice as much as Revell's kit too.

4 minutes ago, Bobski said:

Best kit in both scales, in terms of accuracy at least, is Revell. The fit is problematic in a few places though.

Italeri's kit in 1/48 is based on the original development aircraft and has a number of inaccuracies compared to the production aircraft. It's also got a few shape issues, particularly around the rear fuselage and the wing tip pods.

Trumpeter's kit in 1/32 is a scaled-up copy of the Italeri kit. It has the same shape issues (only much worse) and the weapons pylons are all undersized. Costs twice as much as Revell's kit too.

Thank you sir. So, Revell did it in 1/32 and 1/48 if I'm reading this right? Are the Revell kits easy to find?

Thanks,

James

50 minutes ago, James S. said:

Thank you sir. So, Revell did it in 1/32 and 1/48 if I'm reading this right? Are the Revell kits easy to find?

Thanks,

James

Yes, Revell have done single-seat and twin-seat kits in both 1/48 and 1/32. The 1/48 single-seater has just been re-released with the Bronze Tiger scheme. Not sure whether the 1/32 kits are in the current catalogue but they should be fairly easy to pick up on ebay.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobski said:

Yes, Revell have done single-seat and twin-seat kits in both 1/48 and 1/32. The 1/48 single-seater has just been re-released with the Bronze Tiger scheme. Not sure whether the 1/32 kits are in the current catalogue but they should be fairly easy to pick up on ebay.

Thank so much. I will see if I can find the Revell 1/32 Typhoon.

• 1 month later...

Can the speedbrake on the Typhoon remain open when the aircraft is shut down, or does it require hydraulic pressure (engines running) to keep it open?

Regards,

Murph

32 minutes ago, Murph said:

Can the speedbrake on the Typhoon remain open when the aircraft is shut down, or does it require hydraulic pressure (engines running) to keep it open?

Regards,

Murph

It can be opened on the ground, but I believe it needs a lock put onto the actuator to keep it open when the jet is parked and shut down. 

Just now, Bobski said:

It can be opened on the ground, but I believe it needs a lock put onto the actuator to keep it open when the jet is parked and shut down. 

Same as the F-15 then.  Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Murph