Typhoon Reference Information - UPDATED with corrected Italian Typhoon colours

Bobski

Does any Eurofighter operator carry & use a reconnaissance pod on their aircraft? I see the one in the Revell 1/48 kit is labelled for Germany only.

Larry

No, there is currently no recce pod cleared for use on Typhoon.

No, there is currently no recce pod cleared for use on Typhoon.

Model Alliance have the 6 Squadron decals already finished together with the Typhoons and Harriers carrying the Battle of Britain markings on our next UK Air Arm Update set.

These will be on show at Telford and will be printed during late November.

Regards

Gary

Gary,

please can we have the 6 Squadron markings in 1/32? For all those of us who have baught the Revell kit.

Tom

Model Alliance have the 6 Squadron decals already finished together with the Typhoons and Harriers carrying the Battle of Britain markings on our next UK Air Arm Update set.

These will be on show at Telford and will be printed during late November.

Regards

Gary

I think the pod is the same one the Luftwaffe uses on their AG51 Tornados - picture here

Yeah, I knew that. I just was so hyped to build a photo-recce Eurofighter/Typhoon, when I heard they had a recce pod in the kit. I suppose I could hang on to my kits, until someone decides to sling a recce pod on one of the real things. Of course, then I would probably have to scratch build whatever pod they decide to use.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like Al-Salam will get the contract for maintenance work for the Saudi's Typhoons. And from what I've seen of the Typhoon, I'll go back the Taif to work on them. Besides, I already know the base and area from working on F-15s there.

Gents, a few more pics taken today (27th October) at Coningsby. I'll probably edit and unload some more general pics tomorrow but here's a few of a loaded QRA jet returning from a practise intercept today (target was a C-17).

IMG_3912-1.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Spot the difference to normal? It's carrying a reduced load, the front right and rear left fuselage AMRAAM station's are empty, with just 2xAMRAAM and 4xASRAAM loaded. I have always seen the 4+4 fit in the past. I know the UK stocks of early model AMRAAM rounds (despite what the MoD say, I have never seen any evidence that the AIM-120C has been issued to the frontline) are getting towards the end of their shelf live, but reducing operational loads seems a bit drastic!

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Was it `Bootneck` that posted similar pics of Falklands Typhoons with two AMRAAMs?

I don`t know how much drag this reduces, or efficiency it improves. They are live rounds so I don`t imagine it`s some kind of flutter test etc..

Hmmm, inquiring minds would like to know. Are we really that skint?

Bloomin` `eck. :undecided:

Ian

PS-real nice pics Gary, thanks for posting :thumbsup2:

Edited by ian buick

Was it `Bootneck` that posted similar pics of Falklands Typhoons with two AMRAAMs?

I don`t know how much drag this reduces, or efficiency it improves. They are live rounds so I don`t imagine it`s some kind of flutter test etc..

Hmmm, inquiring minds would like to know. Are we really that skint?

Bloomin` `eck. :undecided:

Ian

PS-real nice pics Gary, thanks for posting :thumbsup2:

Thanks Ian, it's certainly got me wondering as well. I remember those 1435 jet pics. They only appeared to be carrying two AMRAAM's, and no ASRAAM's at all! It was certainly no test for the ordnance, but one of the usual practise QRA launch's that use the standing QRA aircraft. I seem to be quite lucky in catching them, as that's about the fourth or fifth time I've photographed a practise Typhoon QRA sortie in the last three years. First time I've only had one of the pair go, and also the first FGR4 that I've seen used in role - it's usually the later F2's allocated. The radio enthusiasts on the forums had him doing a practise intercept on a 99 Sqn C-17 before returning. It's quite easy to monitor a QRA launch, as the callsign combinations are specific to that role; he used '3SL42' yesterday. The two Leuchars F-3's on the live launch on the Bears over the North Sea last tuesday were '1UV06/7'.

A few more Typhoon pics from yesterday, which was probably my last trip to Lincolnshire for the year. Rather quiet as expected, with 11 Sqn playing in India with their Flankers, and 17 in the States.

IMG_9989.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

I was trying to get the 'nod' forward that the lead pilot will use to indicate 'brakes off' in a pairs departure - missed!

IMG_3722.jpg

It was still slightly wet.

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

The latest one back from upgrade at Warton, this former T1 is now a T3.

IMG_3983.jpg

Roll on next year, if anything is left flying by then...

Gary

Edited by gary1701

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bumped into two Italian Typhoons at work yesterday...I have loads of photos of varying angles, but all from the ground, including underneath etc...is there any interest in them? I don't want to add too much in case this thread gets too cluttered! It seems a little quiet though so I suppose it could resurrect it.

Also have several shots of a C17 to compare colours with if that's any help? (I realise C17's are "ghost grey" and not the same colour as "barley grey" - just thought it may be helpful :) )

*EDIT*

I have a really shoddy internet connection - I shall post pics on Tuesday when I have broadband connection available.

Edited by mideast-mover

Always interested in Typhoon detail my friend,

Tom

I bumped into two Italian Typhoons at work yesterday...I have loads of photos of varying angles, but all from the ground, including underneath etc...is there any interest in them? I don't want to add too much in case this thread gets too cluttered! It seems a little quiet though so I suppose it could resurrect it.

Also have several shots of a C17 to compare colours with if that's any help? (I realise C17's are "ghost grey" and not the same colour as "barley grey" - just thought it may be helpful :) )

*EDIT*

I have a really shoddy internet connection - I shall post pics on Tuesday when I have broadband connection available.

While we are waiting for those Spanish Typhoons, here are some I took earlier. This was the day before the Battle of Britain Airshow at RAF Leuchars, Fife, Scotland. These were the first machines to arrive at the base. Enjoy!

Tom

DSCF0835.jpg

DSCF0857.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

Out with the old, and in with the new!

DSCF0863.jpg

This is one of the machines which will be illustrated in the new decals for 6 Squadron...

DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

spruecutters walkthrough

I dont know if anybody has put this in already - I've been through this thread several times and can't face scrolling through the whole thing again!

It seems like some rather useful stuff, especially for the 1/48 RoG version...

Edited by mideast-mover

spruecutters walkthrough

I dont know if anybody has put this in already - I've been through this thread several times and can't face scrolling through the whole thing again!

It seems like some rather useful stuff, especially for the 1/48 RoG version...

It is a good build, although don't do what he does with the HUD! The supports are OK, but the HUD glass is not green and it also does not have a black frame around it. Also the German aircraft are not fitted with the PIRATE.

I spotted the HUD stuff, but didn't know that about the German Eurofighter - thanks for pointing that out! :)

There are one or two that have it fitted, but they are used for development work. None of the in-service aircraft, to my knowledge, have it fitted.

• 2 months later...

OK, now that it has been formally announced in a press release on Eurofighter.com I can confirm that both Paveway IV and EGBU-16 are currently being integrated onto Typhoon and both have successfully completed their first avionic releases from the aircraft:

Press Release

If you want to do a near-future Tranche 2 Typhoon in an air-to-surface config, then Paveway IV for UK aircraft and EGBU-16 for German, Italian and Spanish aircraft can be loaded.