Kinloss Typhoons and the Last Ever Nimrod MR2

A couple from today's departure of the last ever Nimrod MR2 flight and a couple of Typhoons

The Luftwaffe groundcrew had entered into the spirit of the detachment.........

KinlossTyphoon1.jpg

KinlossTyphoon2.jpg

KinlossTyphoon3.jpg

Typically and strangely appropriately the weather turned overcast, grey and was raining by the time the Mighty Hunter departed for the last ever Nimrod MR2 flight.

NimrodFinalDeparture2.jpg

NimrodFinalDeparture.jpg

Edited by Roland Pulfrew

Nice pics there Roland!

That's XV229 which is now at Manston, which is to be used in evacuation training.

Nimrod at Manston

:ditto:

Thanks for capturing a historic moment Roland :thumbsup2:

Bexy

So did Carlisle not get one in the end?????

Tony

No Carlisle didn't get one. Apparently too much politics in play at the airfield. Unfortunately the aircraft's release to service is withdrawn at midnight tonight, so from this point onwards there would have to be some serious work to permit an aircraft to fly. The final tally was:

XV250 to Elvington; XV231 to Manchester; XV232 to Coventry; XV226 (carrying the 40th Anniversary markings) to Bruntingthorpe; XV255 to Norwich and XV229 to Manston. Inverness will be getting a forward fuselage and I understand there are plans to dismantle one for transport to Cosford. The rest will be converted into scrap metal. I think there are 5 pretty complete airframes left at Kinloss now - £10000 each!!

Yep,

End of an era......I clearly remember the 203 Sqn jets at RAF Luqa with my father in the late 1970s and individual aircraft at VASF RAF Changi some years earlier. Interesting distribution of airframes - I simply cannot understand why the Scottish Museum of Flight didn't get one, given the types' long and historic association with Kinloss and Scotland ?. Anyone know why ?......Is this another 'victim' of the MoF's obsession with the Concorde ?.

Tiger331

Interesting distribution of airframes - I simply cannot understand why the Scottish Museum of Flight didn't get one, given the types' long and historic association with Kinloss and Scotland ?. Anyone know why ?......Is this another 'victim' of the MoF's obsession with the Concorde ?.

Tiger

Can't answer the question directly, particularly the bit about MoF and Concorde, but it is possible that they might be getting one. Only problem is, it can't be flown in!

Spike

Not much has changed really. The buildings in the background of the 2nd Typhoon shot are new-ish and are or were 120, 206 (now MMS) and 201 Sqns plus the new Stn Ops building. Other than that, there is the new MRA4 sim building, a new WOs & Sgts Mess and a new Mountain Rescue Building. Pretty much everything else is as it was in the late 80s - I remember it well.

And the aeropark at Donnington get one next year apparently. Talking yo fellow that helps run it a couple of weeks back. Like Mattie says, these arn't MR2's though

Mark

Edited by chadders

Mattie,

When did they get one, and which airframe? I can remember them having 2 Comets, a C. Mk. 2 that was scrapped a while ago and an ex-Dan Air 4, but no Nimrod. It is a while since I've been there, and I know my eyesight is appalling, but even I should be able to spot a Nimrod, so please cheer me up and enlighten me.

Steve.

Lol Mattie.

Yes, they've got a Nimrod, but it jasn't got (or had) four Speys and it could be operated from an RN carrier. Just checked my most recent "Wrecks & Relics" and there it is, S1581, Nimrod I. I'll get me bag and coat........

Steve