1/48 RAFALE M All done

Well with a bit of tinkering it's all done.

I haven't built the Revell version, so I cant compare the two but It went together a dream and the only thing I would do is put some harnesses on the seat or replace it with a resin one and do the Flair and Chaff dispensers area which would be very strait forward.

This one also has the New wash on it. It's the Dark Dirt colour. It's a little different in it's more oily then watery and to give it a bit of bite. I added two drops of future two 5ml of wash. It worked very well but did stick in a few places, but it came off with a rub with some fine sand paper. I then put a drop in the flaps and slats and dragged it out with my finger for those dirty stains. But theres more to come on the new wash soon. I probably over did the toning down of the decals but it gives it a more weathered look.

Anyway I'll stop yapping and get to the photos.

Rafale_10_1.jpg

Rafale_10_2.jpg

Rafale_10_3.jpg

Rafale_10_4.jpg

Rafale_10_5.jpg

Rafale_10_6.jpg

Rafale_10_7.jpg

Rafale_10_9.jpg

Rafale_10_14.jpg

Rafale_10_16.jpg

To be honest it's a lot more weathered then the pics show and it's more of a flat finish.

Thanks for looking

Phil

Edited by Phil_flory

Nice! Came out a treat.

Um not to be a git or anything but it seems you've forgotten to paint the wing navigation lights (the red and blue lights) that are on the leading edge of the wing directly behind the canards. But hey what do i know, i'd kill to have a kit come out like that.

Edited by Oliver

Dddaaaaaaaaaammmmnnnn!!!, talk about lo viz, I am going to have to take a bit further mate, make that super lo viz. I had to clean my glasses to see the markings :analintruder:. An excellent job Mr. Flory. When I grow up I want to do models like you. :whistle:

Edited by Darkflyer

Lovely Eurofighter Phil ;) (private joke ^_^ )

Weren't the French involved in the Eurofighter project at the beginning, but pulled out after all the aerodynamics data was gathered? It would explain the similarity of the two formats :hmmm:

Hello Mike,

As far as I know french were indeed in that project.

But as usual, there was the Dassault attitude of "my design is better than yours", which in term leaded to Dassault separating form the project and building the Rafale.

I'm giving you the short version as this argument did span over the 1963 - 1990 years, including the project of " Heavy Fighter" for french AF (and leading to the Mirage F2 and G8 prototypes) to the ACX concept plane, (meanwhile the ACT program (tactical AC) led to Mirage 4000 and 200 prototypes)) - which in term will become the Rafale A.

The idea of an european project, including France, RFA and UK spans over the 77/85 period to define what a mutlirole tactical aircraft would be. And they agreed on a multirole, twin engines delta wing with canards, FBW, tactical heavy fighter.

3 demonstrators are then built of various designs the French airplane is 8 tons and has french M88 engines, while the german plane is 9 tons and is equiped with GE F404, while the english machine will be 12.5 tons and turbo-union engined. The general look of the 3 mock ups is really close.

Three 1/1 static mockups are presented in the Hanovre Airshow in 1980 and the french and uk design are already very close to what we know these days as Typhoon and Rafale.

In 1982 the british prime minister says he is willing the finance the EAP programm alongwith european partners, if Germany is joinning it.

The France says exactly the same, but for the ACX (Rafale) programm, if Germany joins the programm, and add that she can do it all alone as well.

One of the alleged reasons behind the separation is that the expressed needs of the three parties on the projects were differents. IMHO, I guess it was the period when France wanted to keeps its independance, on the military side. Was it good or not, I'm not the one to judge. Should'nt we have leave the Eurofighter programm I don't know as well. I guesse there are pros and con each sides.

Rafale was born.

The general "same look" is explained mostly by the fact that it was in the beginning one unique project, and I guess that of course, both projects, the french and UK ones did benefit from the same aerodynamics etc datas.

Et voilà

I hope this answered your quastions, Mike :spudniksmurf:

Thanks Stéphane,

I knew you'd know ;) The Eurofighter project was pulled in lots of different directions by the participants wanting it to do different things (I think the UK just didn't want it to offend anyone, so didn't want a gun :lol: ), which was always going to lead to delays... management by committee :rolleyes:

Looks fantastic Phil

Its a beautiful aircraft which you show off to its full potential. !!!!!!!

:mike: