Project AURORA.......Skunk Works special...

General, congrats on a flawless model. Did you mention that you are going to incorporate this (not-so-little) gem into a diorama with some other X-Planes? That is something I would love to see. All manner of amazing stealth planes sitting on the tarmac, with perhaps a semi-mothballed YB-49 sitting in the background, would be a sight to see. Keep up the inspirational work.

BM.

Thanks guys, :cheers:

Sweaty, pick away!...only too happy to chat to those with similar taste in aviation exotica, should be either on the USAF sig or Research And Development tables, or more than likely ...both!!

BM, hopefully this will be part of a much larger dio including several other black projects, at least two more re configured Thunderdarts to come as well as a very large hush, hush ''something'' :wicked: ....funnily enough I have an old AMT XB-35 lurking around in the attic!! :hmmm:( though table space is a serious consideration here!)

Melchie...

Incredible level of detail!... The paint overall is perfect, and the shaded areas are awesome! Congratulations General, you have made a fantastic job with this rather special plane. The little supply and extinguisher units gives to the diorama an extra of realism, and contribute to a well balanced scene. Congratulations one more time, is a pleasure to see your builds! :speak_cool:

Regards, TRUSKY1965.

Thanks again folks, Trusky, I hope to have some more black projects done in the near future so keep watching,

BM, fascinating stuff, I hadn't seen that one before but am aware of several of the projects he mentions....certainly a lot of food for thought model wise .Makes you wonder just what is out there, I guess in some cases we will never know I'm also a member of another site that deals with many of these projects,

Secret projects

And this site is of interest to those who wish to model some of these craft, (as well as many fictious movie craft.............just got to love the Stealth 'Talon' !! :jump_fire: !)...Notice another take on the Aurora/Thunderdart and the flying disc mentioned in the article...

Fantastic Plastic

Cheers all :cheers:

Melch....

Edited by general melchett

• 8 months later...
General, if you haven't seen this video already, you had better sit down, take a deep breath and see what could be a lifetimes worth of modelling projects for you. Very interesting stuff!

http://projectcamelotproductions.com/inter...el_schratt.html

BM.

Interesting video - but if this guy is such an expert then how on earth could he describd the A-12 Avenger as a high altitude interceptor??

i thought the a12 was supposed to be an interceptor?

I though it was a strike replacement for the A-6 Intruder? Had it been an interceptor, surely it wouldnt have had an A- suffix?

True, the A-12 Avenger was due to be a replacement for the A-6. The A-12 was designed to fly faster and further than the A-6E, and carry a large bomb-load in internal bomb-bays to reduce drag and maintain a low radar cross-section. As with the Advanced Tactial Fighter (ATF), the A-12 was expected to have greater reliability than current aircraft (double that of the A-6E), and require half the maintenance man hours.

Of course the 'other' A-12 was the super secret Lockheed recon aircraft which was the forerunner of the SR-71 Blackbird . The interceptor version was to be the AF-12 , which would have become the F-12A and B models. (only the prototype YF-12A versions flew).

The YF-12A was announced in part to continue hiding the A-12, its still-secret ancestor and any sightings of CIA/Air Force A-12s based at Area 51 in Nevada could be attributed to the well-publicized Air Force YF-12As based at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

True, the A-12 Avenger was due to be a replacement for the A-6. The A-12 was designed to fly faster and further than the A-6E, and carry a large bomb-load in internal bomb-bays to reduce drag and maintain a low radar cross-section. As with the Advanced Tactial Fighter (ATF), the A-12 was expected to have greater reliability than current aircraft (double that of the A-6E), and require half the maintenance man hours.

Of course the 'other' A-12 was the super secret Lockheed recon aircraft which was the forerunner of the SR-71 Blackbird . The interceptor version was to be the AF-12 , which would have become the F-12A and B models. (only the prototype YF-12A versions flew).

The YF-12A was announced in part to continue hiding the A-12, its still-secret ancestor and any sightings of CIA/Air Force A-12s based at Area 51 in Nevada could be attributed to the well-publicized Air Force YF-12As based at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

Agreed - but the guy was clearly showing a pic of the naval A-12 Avenger - just seems a very odd mix up for someone being held out as an expert to have made

ahh thats what confused me im sat here thinking what use is a mach 3 80k feet plane to replace the a6 lol

never heard of the avenger

Thanks fellas, Dave, yep it was to go into MAW a while back but when that was shelved it ended up being transposed to the 'new' MIS.Only saw it after a chat with Spence at MK on Sunday......(will have the modified XR-7 and 'another' in a future issue :wicked: )...

Sorry Vlamgat, I didn't watch the video before but I wont knock Michael as I'm doing a bit of work with him at the moment on a new book, he is a very knowledgable chap, however yep that does clearly show a Naval A12!...curious....... I'll be sure to point it out to him..

Cheers Raif , nice to know that the project can still elicit colourful expletives...lol.

mrvr6, ah I wondered if that's what you were thinking!....this numbering lark can get a bit confusing at times...(don't even get me started on the Soviet system!! :hypnotised: )..

Melchie... :cheers:

Sorry Vlamgat, I didn't watch the video before but I wont knock Michael as I'm doing a bit of work with him at the moment on a new book, he is a very knowledgable chap, however yep that does clearly show a Naval A12!...curious....... I'll be sure to point it out to him..

Not seeking for you to knock the guy. It's just that as his material seems to stray into the UFO area (and Bob Lazar and Majestic 12 to boot), slips like this tend to dent credibility; one is already naturally a little sceptical about some of the wilder hypotheses. For my part I am sure there probably are some deep black projects and that UFOs etc have been used in the past as a means of deflecting attention from them. But I am not sure there are quite as many of them as are claimed (because their costs would be so significant they would become impossible to hide) or that their capabilities are quite as extreme as depicted.

Interesting video nonetheless.

The idea that the YF-23 was used as the basis for an ultra-stealthy strike/recce aircraft is an interesting one - think there is a bit around that topic. Would make a nice model!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

This is fantastic , I've recently been immersing myself in A12 and SR71 history , fascinating project , a truly impressive piece of engineering. Your model is well in keeping with the whole Kelly Johnson skunk works vibe , although I'd doubt the US military could keep something that big a secret ;) . This model could easily of been decorating the design offices around Lockheed or Northrop in the 60's or 70's !