Royal Navy WWII carriers decks

Stéphane

Hello guys

Being an aircraft guy, I'm currently modelling a Blackburn Skua, Norway campaign.

I've been reading in the Squadron book about the FAA that some were deployed aboard carriers there.

I'm intending to display a deck section under my Skua but don't know what the decking on the British carriers of the period look like.

Can somebody point me to online references/piccies so I can try to reproduce it ?

thanks in advance for any help/hints

cheers

Stef (#6)

I believe deck colours varied throughout the war. Camoflage schemes varied from year to year and so on (even on carriers). I am currently making the Heller HMS Illustrious in November 1940 (Taranto raid) and the decks were dark grey AP507a (or b or c, sorry, cant remember offhand) then.

Your best source of info is to try White Ensign Models. They stock the full range of colors for RN ships, and if you ask nicely they might be able to help with either the correct colour scheme or at least where it might be found .

I'm now off to rig another of the 12 or so 1/400 scale Swordfish required. Wonder why my eyes are going funny? :hypnotised:

Mike

I believe deck colours varied throughout the war. Camoflage schemes varied from year to year and so on (even on carriers). I am currently making the Heller HMS Illustrious in November 1940 (Taranto raid) and the decks were dark grey AP507a (or b or c, sorry, cant remember offhand) then.

Your best source of info is to try White Ensign Models. They stock the full range of colors for RN ships, and if you ask nicely they might be able to help with either the correct colour scheme or at least where it might be found .

I'm now off to rig another of the 12 or so 1/400 scale Swordfish required. Wonder why my eyes are going funny? :hypnotised:

Mike

Agreed, John is very knowledgeable in these matters :winkgrin::captain:

Ed

Talking to an ex-Illustrious man, he said that, every few feet, there would be a tie-down, which resembled a ring-doughnut, with a lump, in its middle. He reckoned that you never forgot those things; apart from being a trip for the unwary, if you hit one, in a game of deck hockey, the vibration went right up your arms to the top of your head.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Hello Gents

Thanks a lot for the inputs;

I've also been looking carefully at the Squadron " Fleet Air Arm" piccies and it seems to me that flight decks were made out of steel (?) plates, square or rectangular shaped.

The hue was to be my following question, so I've been gaining some time here ! :)

Cheers

Stef (#6)