1/72 Meteor IV - need decal suggestions, pls

David Womby

Practically all my reference materials, paints, decals etc are in storage but I am trying to do a weekend build in a week or so of a Novo re-issued Frog Meteor IV with what I have. I do not want to go buy tons of paints and decals sheets. So - I have glue, putty, sandpapers, a spray can of silver enamel, two brushes, acrylic black, white, red, blue, grey and brown. What I do not have is useable decals!!!

I would prefer to make an RAF machine with colourful markings. I would happily have made this as the RAF 263 Sqdn machine that Frog offered but this one from Novo either had no decals or they got lost. So I have nothing - no roundels, no codes, no squadron markings. Apart from finding a useable Frog set of decals (anybody got a spare set?), what other aftermarket decals are readily available that I could adapt to meet my needs, please?

Thanks for any suggestions

David W.

(in San Francisco)

I had the same dilemma when I wanted to revive an old Frog kit that had been badly made (by me). I have been planning a 56 Squadron theme and this is the only one so far:

209297953.jpg

Roundels were from a spare Matchbox Meteor sheet. Wing walks, and squadron bars were made up from Hannant's stock stripe sheets. Serials were from an old Almarks sheet. Not visible on the fin is the hand painted (onto clear film) squadron badges - not precise, just a few flicks of paint. The red/white checks were made up with a white decal base and red squares placed over the top prior to placement on the model. When sticking decal over decal I give it a coat of Klear to make sure it stays on. Serials where made up off the model onto clear film in the same manner, it is much easier than working on the model.

Now that the Hannant's Mk VIII is out there must be some dedicated sheets that will appear that can be suitably adapted for Mk IV's and I would think the kit decals could be adapted. At least one Modeldecal sheet has some 604 Squadron bars on it that you could use, but it really doesn't take too long to make your own.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep

Just been looking at Hannant's site, Xtradecal Sheet X72057 is for Mk VIII's but there are different squadron insignia that will be suitable for the Mk IV, assuming near enough is good enough. You will need generic sheets of roundels and serials to finish the job.

peebeep

Thanks - I was having exactly the same thoughts after your original post. I was thinking I might be able to make a 56 or 263 squadron F.IV using that sheet and chopping bits of serials together.

By the way - lovely job on your F.IV. How did you do the airbrakes - I was going to photocopy them onto clear decal.

David

By the way - lovely job on your F.IV. How did you do the airbrakes - I was going to photocopy them onto clear decal.

Thank you. The airbrakes were drawn onto clear decal film with a Rotring pen and black ink (0.35 nib IIRC) and sealed with Klear/Future. The raised lines on the wings were completely removed before the decals were applied. Actually I removed all the raised panel lines from the model and drew them on after painting with a 4H pencil.

peebeep

• 2 weeks later...