Italeri's Merlin HMA.1

Graham

got a walkround when they visited aldergrove,not impressed with the low tailgate ,difficult enought to duck down into never mind trying to get in all kitted up :ninja: ,couldnt get sat down with our webbing on :thumbsdown: .

then the loadie proudly informs us that the seats where ................................................................................

..£55.000.00 EACH!!!! :bling:

after we had stopped crowing about "wasting taxpayers money" he helpfully explained how said seats would save our necks if we ever piled in :smartass: ,by cleverly collapsing about our ears! :analintruder:

now can anyone confirm that his costing for the seats was accurate :hmmm: ?

it wouldnt surprise me, they are proper Martin Baker crash proof troop seats. quite comfy aswell, with a back rest that has a vertical zip on it to make room if you are wearing a bergen.

the ramp is ok..... i know what you mean about ducking your head though. and the anti-slip is a skin stripper if you slip in the wet.

Here are a few interior pictures of a 3 that might help...

Great pictures! :analintruder:

PA070341-1.jpg

The curtain is only used on the HC.3, right?

I´ll try to add the small working light right beside the...paul_c called it CCU. I already added two of them to the sonar-station:

yj5q3yqh.jpg

PA260444.jpg

This shows one cable for the crew-system on every side of the big side-door. So I think I can add 3 helix-cables in my merlin. One in the front (you can see it in this picture from primeportal: LINK) and one on each side of the sliding door.

There seems to be a folding mechanism for the seats of the sonar-operators. This picture of an Italian Merlin shows the tables folded up and the seats moved closer to the console: http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/fkyslj.jpg (found on this webpage: LINK)

And I think I know why:

ec8w27pe.jpg

Not much room to use the front door. :rolleyes:

Right now I´m thinking to do the same and to move the seats to the stored position.

that mission console looks amazing. the tables are usually in the up position when the aircraft is on the ground, as you say, makes it easier to get into. im not sure if the kit has it but to the side of the mission console is a door that when closed blocks off the entire front of the cabin from the rear. there is also a white grab handle that runs above the console from one side of the fuselage to the other with an emergency escape handle for the jetesonable window. im working on a Mk1 this week, so i will try and sneek you some pics

Lovely, work so far. So much detail inside.

That last picture showing the console insitu, with the PE bits on the outside reminds me. Please, please, please put the static vents on the STBD side aswell. I really don't understand why they are missing on the kit!? I use some 1/35 scale PE washers that I got hold of that are just the job for replicating the static vents.

cheers

Grant

that mission console looks amazing. the tables are usually in the up position when the aircraft is on the ground, as you say, makes it easier to get into. im not sure if the kit has it but to the side of the mission console is a door that when closed blocks off the entire front of the cabin from the rear. there is also a white grab handle that runs above the console from one side of the fuselage to the other with an emergency escape handle for the jetesonable window. im working on a Mk1 this week, so i will try and sneek you some pics

Thank you. That door is included but i think I´ll redo that with thin aluminium and then show it in opended Position as shown in this primeportal-picture: http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_09_of_47.jpg

I´ve seen the handle you are talking about. Here´s a little bit shown: http://www.alsltd.co.uk/images/domains/tactical_2.jpg I already thought about installing it but I´m still figuring out where to attach it to. And it would be sooo great if you can get some pictures. :speak_cool:

Lovely, work so far. So much detail inside.

That last picture showing the console insitu, with the PE bits on the outside reminds me. Please, please, please put the static vents on the STBD side aswell. I really don't understand why they are missing on the kit!? I use some 1/35 scale PE washers that I got hold of that are just the job for replicating the static vents.

Thank you too. Please excuse me but what are "static vents" and where are they placed on the Merlin? Do you have a picture of them?

• 2 weeks later...
Looks the same for me.

On top Revell, below Italeri:

p1040447rx1.jpg

Finally dug out a Revell and Italeri kit and the winches are identical as in your photo - which makes me wonder if the Revell kit originally had the wrong one. The one I found was a late purchase form the Modelzone sale, muct find the original.

[beg]

Any chance?[/beg]

Do you mean this edgy bubble right beside that antenna on the top?

http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_44_of_47.jpg

lol, i'll try tomorrow for pics mate, im not really allowed because the mission console is kind of classified so i'll have to censor it.......

the static vents are the 2 small circular metallic fittings aft of the DV (sliding) window. they have a small hole on each one and an 'L' shaped piece of metal behind the hole. the kit just portrays them as moulded discs between the foot steps:

ec8w27pe.jpg

as for the handle, it goes from above the side window as shown in this pic, http://www.alsltd.co.uk/images/domains/tactical_2.jpg along the top of the seats, and down to a point above the opposite side window, as in this pic http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_09_of_47.jpg

Edited by paul_c

the static vents are the 2 small circular metallic fittings aft of the DV (sliding) window. they have a small hole on each one and an 'L' shaped piece of metal behind the hole. the kit just portrays them as moulded discs between the foot steps:

I think I found them: http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_co...48_27_of_59.jpg

Shouldn´t be too hard to build.

Soory ICE, missed your question about "what are static vents", but I see you have found a good picture. The STBD ones are in the same vertical and fore and aft positions.

Cheers

Grant

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to show that I tried to build the grab handle above the sonar-console. I know there should be a jetisson handle but were exactly?

m97ohxlo.jpg

This is the actual state of construction with the urgend request - if you have any interior pictures of a HM.1 Merlin I would really appreciate if you could make them available.

qm4q3nda.jpg

I just wanted to show that I tried to build the grab handle above the sonar-console. I know there should be a jetisson handle but were exactly?

This is the actual state of construction with the urgend request - if you have any interior pictures of a HM.1 Merlin I would really appreciate if you could make them available.

Hi there Ice, i'm really sorry but i can't get you any pictures mate but i'll try and give you some more details.

the grab rail looks about right, it is painted gloss white and has a jetison handle (black and yellow) on a bracket mounted just to the left of the middle support strut. there is also a jetison handle at the point where the grab rail meets the left hand window, at the forward top corner of the aperature.

the rest of the cabin looks good although i have never seen a mk1 with anything fitted in the back so i can't comment that well!

as far as interior colours are concerned, the soundproofing looks about right but the mission console and it's door are of a slighly darker shade of grey than you have done. the door also has a nice chrome handle and a black brush like 'draught excluder' all the way around it.

on the rear facing 'shelf' of the mission console, nearest the door is an orange fabric first aid kit, about 4" x 8" fastened down by white straps and more to the middle is another crewmans 'wander lamp' the same as you have made for the front of the cabin.

emergency escape lights are positioned fore and aft of each cabin window, these are thin strips of white plastic that run down the length of the window and have a neon type light strip on them which glows green when they are turned on.

the kit depicts the rear bulkhead as having a chequer-plate look to the tail boom access door. this is actually just made from a plain soft panel that can be rolled up out of the way for access. if it's not too late, the chequer finished should be removed.

aft of the cargo door aperature is the winchmans control panel with various black boxes and a hover trim stick, allowing him to 'fly' the aircraft whilst winching.

one more point, on the side walls, the first 8" or so from the floor up is covered in hard plastic panels, covering the fuel gallery pipe lines, the rest is covered in soft sound proofing.

other than all that, it's looking good and i like the look of the sound proofing, nice and bumpy and messy, just like the real thing.

First of all I have to thank you, that you take the time to provide your detailed informations about this helicopter. Without your help it would be so much harder. :worthy:

the grab rail looks about right, it is painted gloss white and has a jetison handle (black and yellow) on a bracket mounted just to the left of the middle support strut. there is also a jetison handle at the point where the grab rail meets the left hand window, at the forward top corner of the aperature.

I only found this picture of an Italian Merlin but they don´t have a window at the sonar-console like the British Merlins do: http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/fkyslj.jpg

So i chose the wrong colour for the handle - I´ll correct that.

the rest of the cabin looks good although i have never seen a mk1 with anything fitted in the back so i can't comment that well!

I followed the primeportal pictures in this case: http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_10_of_47.jpg

as far as interior colours are concerned, the soundproofing looks about right but the mission console and it's door are of a slighly darker shade of grey than you have done. the door also has a nice chrome handle and a black brush like 'draught excluder' all the way around it.

The handle is already silver but it´s quite hard to see in my picture - I used this picture as reference: http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_09_of_47.jpg

on the rear facing 'shelf' of the mission console, nearest the door is an orange fabric first aid kit, about 4" x 8" fastened down by white straps and more to the middle is another crewmans 'wander lamp' the same as you have made for the front of the cabin.

That´s a nice hint - I´ll try to do that while this place looks quite boring right now.

emergency escape lights are positioned fore and aft of each cabin window, these are thin strips of white plastic that run down the length of the window and have a neon type light strip on them which glows green when they are turned on.

You mean the white stripes shown in this picture? http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_08_of_47.jpg

the kit depicts the rear bulkhead as having a chequer-plate look to the tail boom access door. this is actually just made from a plain soft panel that can be rolled up out of the way for access. if it's not too late, the chequer finished should be removed.

Here it looks like the sound proofing: http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_10_of_47.jpg

aft of the cargo door aperature is the winchmans control panel with various black boxes and a hover trim stick, allowing him to 'fly' the aircraft whilst winching.

Eduard provided some small parts that look like a small console with some levers and a piece that looks like a telephone. I think i´ll add some wires there too.

8mxoxm4v.jpg

one more point, on the side walls, the first 8" or so from the floor up is covered in hard plastic panels, covering the fuel gallery pipe lines, the rest is covered in soft sound proofing.

Like this? http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_43_of_47.jpg

I think I could do that with aluminium.

other than all that, it's looking good and i like the look of the sound proofing, nice and bumpy and messy, just like the real thing.

That hasn´t always been the builders intention but thank you. :rolleyes:

You mean the white stripes shown in this picture? http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_08_of_47.jpg

thats the ones, i forgot, they also go across the roof adjacent to the windows.

Here it looks like the sound proofing: http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_10_of_47.jpg

it is made from the same material as sound proofing but i think the effect in the kit is very over done. it's just quilted material

Eduard provided some small parts that look like a small console with some levers and a piece that looks like a telephone. I think i´ll add some wires there too.

8mxoxm4v.jpg

the telephone looking piece has a small joystick (similar to and old Atari one!) attached to the horizontal portion at the bottom. the area itself is actually 'buried' within the sound proofing and not bolted on top. not sure how you could rectify this though.

Like this? http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_43_of_47.jpg

I think I could do that with aluminium.

thats the stuff. :)

glad i'm being of some help mate. i'm being posted on to Hercules next month but i will still keep my Merlin head on for this topic!

glad i'm being of some help mate.

Oh yes - you are!

I think we´re getting somewhere. I added the emergency escape lights by using thin stripes of glossy photo paper and I´ve made the hard plastik panel by using aluminium. Is this panel placed on both sides of the cabin?

The grab rail is white now.

e886vatu.jpg

I also folllowed your tip and added the little joystick to the "telephone-thingy" (hard to see in this picture). Here you can also see...hm....dunno, eduard says that gray thing that looks like an old radio should be placed at the starboard-window where the grab rail ends. Any idea what this could be?

You can also see my first try of a helix cable. The wire I use is 0,06 mm thick. Human hair is 0,12 mm thick. Here it´s already painted black.

flohlxsx.jpg

What do you think?

looking much more like it Ice. the hard panel looks good, yeah, it's down the starboard side aswell, all the way to the cockpit bulkhead. those emergency lights look spot on. not sure if you can but the windows are held in by a black rubber seal with a small dayglo red piece of fabric (about 1" x 2") at the bottom to act as a handle, pulling the seal out in an emergency. these are inside and outside.

the winchmans control looks good but i can't for the life of me remember that box being fitted. i will check when im back to work tomorrow. the helix cable looks ace, so small in this scale!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since my Merlin is close to the finish line there's a little question I'd like to ask the Merlin experts here. Is it correct, that the steps are medium sea grey or is it another colour?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/E...rlin/1171227/L/

This is the best photo I found and it looks to me that the steps are medium sea grey and the sides are dark sea grey, right?

I think this is the place to find the real Merlin experts. So perhaps you can help me withe the position of the rotorblades. This is my final test for the rotor assembly so I would appreciate any comment on the position of the rotorblades.

p1000980.jpg

p1000981f.jpg

p1000986n.jpg

p1000988f.jpg

p1000990v.jpg

What do you think?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The Italeri Merlins and Cormorant are nice. Im going to start my Merlin today its the RN HMA 1. Im using pre painted eduard zoom pe sets on them. Does anuone know what color the main cabins go and if the cockpits should b black?

The Italeri Merlins and Cormorant are nice. Im going to start my Merlin today its the RN HMA 1. Im using pre painted eduard zoom pe sets on them. Does anuone know what color the main cabins go and if the cockpits should b black?

• Like 1