1:32 Trumpeter Lightning corrections

Great stuff Ian,

I`m interested in a set too but it depends on the price really. Great work you`ve done by the way,.......you have really pushed your envelope to achieve great things,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony - I've certainly learned an awful lot - about the Lightning - pattern making - casting - and my own abilities (or lack thereof!).

I think I've found the ideal pressure chamber for de-bubbling the resin - subject to it being large enough internally I'm aiming to collect it tomorrow.

And a big thank you to everyone I chatted to at Cosford yesterday about this project - the support/banter/commiserations has given me a bit of a lift. You guys know who you are!

More soon - I promise!

I too am suitably impressed, Iain, are you attending Cosford with any bits?

Great to meet you yesterday mate - and thanks for the support!

Iain

• Like 1

In breaking news - looks like I've purchased a 12l pressure vessel rated at up to 8 bar (116 PSI!) - 9.5 inch internal diameter - by 12 inches high - should do me for now!

Plan is to collect tomorrow smile.png

Iain

• Like 1

Great to see you yesterday Melchie - and thanks for the chat - really appreciated... :thumbsup:

Edit - was mislabeled as 8 bar - actually 6 bar - 90 psi - but more than sufficient!

Glamour shot of the chamber:

$_57.JPG

Iain

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Pressure tank collected - air line quick release adapter fitted - tank pressurised to 6 Bar/87 psi and left for half an hour. Happy to report no leaks and the tank gauge and pressure relief valve working perfectly...

In mean time I'm working on patterns again this afternoon in the sunshine - will post photos soon.

We're getting there - I *think* frantic.gif

Oh - and hope you like the logo coolio.gif

1280-4.jpg

Iain

• Like 2

'Roundel' isn't the RAF colours - it's black/white/red - so unless the guys at MOD have registered concentric circles in all colours...

Got sidetracked into going for family walk down by the river at Lechlade - so photo's to follow next few days.

Have done a test cast on the gun ports and in process of making the intake ring mould.

Horizontal stabs ready to go into rubber - and late fin almost complete.

Canopy draft has tape laid on whilst I work out the correct framing positions.

Cockpit sill master now has locating flanges and front spine fitted - and coaming being worked on.

F Mk 6 belly pack is having gun troughs added and final shaping.

Iain

• Like 1

Hi all,

Promised some photos/update - and nows a good moment before I mix some more rubber :)

Corrected tailplanes - pour stubs added and ready to make two part moulds. Note brass rod - this will leave a 'slot' in the rubber moulds where I'll add more brass rod and embed in the resin - should be strong!

IMG_0469a.JPG

Nose intake ring - waiting for first half rubber mould...

IMG_0470a.JPG

Cockpit surround - final shaping of spine (now bonded in place). Also new, narrower, coaming panel that fits well - but needs detailing. Area at front of spine will be detailed also. Bottom flanges added to aid fit with fuselage cut out - fits perfectly.

IMG_0471a.JPG

Test 'canopy' in place to check sizes/fit and a first play at where the framing goes - more work needed here - canopy pattern needs narrowing a little all round and clear pane 'masks' not right yet..

IMG_0472a.JPG

Basic spine pattern - now correct widths - smooth curves and straight as an arrow!

IMG_0473a.JPG

F2A/3/6 fin - corrected shape - front intake added and hollowed out - just adding surface detail. Should be ready for rubber this week.

IMG_0474a.JPG

Rear 'cheeks' final shaping complete - adding surface detail:

IMG_0475a.JPG

F2A/6 ventral fins - almost ready to cast:

IMG_0476a.JPG

First 'test shot' cannon panels - before I had my pressure tank!

IMG_0477a.JPG

F Mk 6 ventral tank - nose cannon port castings being 're-purposed' prior to bending in and shaping:

IMG_0478a.JPG

Test shot cannon ports in place - first casts quickly removed from pour stubs - not bad for a first go I think!

IMG_0479a.JPG

Bit of shrinkage here - modding masters a little to allow - but fit still better than the kit parts - and would have been better if I hadn't butchered the part at rear when removing from pour stub:

IMG_0480a.JPG

Sorry it's all been a bit slow - but final quality should be OK! (crosses fingers...)

Off to mix rubber :)

Iain

• Like 5

Just degassing this evenings batch of rubber - amazing how it behaves in a vacuum - and how much air is in there!!

I know - old news to you hardened casters out there - but still a thing of wonder to this newbie! whistle.gif

Iain

Bu**er... :doh:

Looks like the mould release agent I've used isn't up to the job (BondIt Silicone Release Spray - it lives up to first name - not third it would appear!) and my mould halves won't separate.

Solid, impenetrable, inseparable.

Never had this before with other silicone sprays?

No problem for the tailplanes as they will work as single part moulds - and I've easily extracted the patterns. The nose ring mould however - well - that's had to be destroyed in the process of safely removing the pattern.

2 steps forward - one back. :frantic:

Question for the experts - what do you recommend? :deadhorse:

Iain

Tough break with the nose ring, but at least you got it out ok :) I was recommended Atlas Polymer WAX-1 for rubber to rubber contact, although I've not used mine yet due to the lapsing in my casting aspirations :shrug:

• Like 1

I'm now the proud owner of a small tub of vaselene! :)

(Quiet please you lot in the cheap seats...) ;)

Just ordered one of RB Productions riveting tools as well.

This afternoon we've done a test pour on the tailplanes - first objects in the pressure tank and the first full prototype parts - and they've come out beautifully considering I'm using old tins of resin at the moment for test shot purposes. Chamber worked perfectly - and not one bubble in the castings - at least that I can see. A few small bits of Plasticine from the mpould making process but that's it (that that should all be gone now).

Really pleased with first results:

IMG_0493web.JPG

And test pour on the broken nose ring mould - front part of ring has come out perfectly but has shown I need to add some subtle rivet detail. Rear end where it meets kit trunking *not* production quality - but new mould will cure that :)

IMG_0494web.JPG

Hopefully more progress next few days.

Iain

• Like 3

Hi Iain. I do apologise This one managed to pass me by...........but I'm here now! :popcorn: Carry on!

Kind regard,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Superb work Iain and I love the logo! My Trumpy kit is in the stash waiting to be adorned with your goodies!

• Like 1