Millennium Falcon (1:144 Finemolds)

Mike

Fantastic Mike. Its more complex to weather than you originally think isnt it. The more you look the more you see. Best SW ship there was though!

Thanks :) Agreed on all points. The underside's done now, so just the "edges" to do and then go over the whole hull again with some rusty marks. When you look closely at the original model though, there are so many crappy bits of painting - drips & all sorts. Still makes a beautiful ship though :nerd:

Thats the problem. Look too closely at the props and the magic starts to unravel! It then just ends up looking like a beaten up old collection of mish mashed parts. , bent panels , oil oversprays and some dodgy gluing too. Like you say though , still a thing of beauty in a strange kind of way.

I never ever follow references for paint and weathering to the T, after all that is only replicating one moment in time in what would be a lifetime of the craft.

Edited by TonyT

"Allllmost there" :)

When you look closely at the original model though, there are so many crappy bits of painting - drips & all sorts. Still makes a beautiful ship though :nerd:

You gotta remember though that these models have done quite a bit of touring to different exhibitions all around the globe now.

I believe some of these dodgy repairs and damage (plus missing bits) are the result of this.

When you check out pics from the Chronicles book for instance, they look a whole lot better. B)

Oh yeah, I'm sure they've been thru hell & back. What're the "Chronicles" books anyway? I've got a load of original movie guff from the initial releases (all well thumbed, so probably worthless), but it's stuffed in the loft behind a million bags of Caz's clothes :S

Never even seen that book. When was it released, and is it still available? :)

Most, nay all of my Star Wars bookage is original and bought around the time of the first releases - never really picked anything up since.

It was originally a Japanese book, mid-1990s, then it was translated and released in the UK circa 1997, for a cover price of £100. I got mine at Costco, for about £60, even though I was out of work at the time, but it was an essential purchase. No idea what they go for now.

There is another... a second volume on the Prequel Trilogy was released about 4 or 5 years ago, and I haven't got that one yet.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

They go for silly money now... £300 on Amazon through one of their sellers. I couldn't believe that there's also a cookbook with a Cookbook II sequel, and a Party book too! :mental:

Despite having no money to my name, I'm not even remotely tempted to sell mine; that's how good it is. Keep an eye on the charity shops, Mike, you never know what might turn up.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

I'm with you there, would never sell my copy either. :fraidnot:

It's a mahoosive, great book full of some fantastic reference pics.

I think I paid £75 for mine, from a book club I used to be a member of.

Three hundred quid though!. :o Those peeps on Amazon like to 'ave a larf, don't they.

I have the prequel one, too.

Much like the movies themselves, it's not as good as the original book. :)

it's the only SW book I know that includes reference pics from the Ewok movies...

You mean there was more than one? :shocked:

Mike,

I hope you have not stopped this excellent build to watch films and cartoons about cute cuddly teddy bears who can do vicious things with tree trunks.

I need to work on my weathering skills before I even think about building the one in the attic, thats the problem with building F1 cars, not much call for weathering unless its an end of race build even then not much is needed.

Put the remote down and pick up your oils!!

Warren

I hope you have not stopped this excellent build to watch films and cartoons about cute cuddly teddy bears who can do vicious things with tree trunks.

I need to work on my weathering skills before I even think about building the one in the attic

No, not stopped, just had a bit of life in the way ;) The review for the USS Wasp here took quite a bit out of my day yesterday too :)

As to weathering, there's nothing difficult in what I've been doing to this kit, so you shouldn't have any trouble yourself, as long as you have the correct tools to start with ;)

• 6 months later...