Millennium Falcon (1:144 Finemolds)

Mike

I'll have a look at the various light gull greys I've got - see if they match :)

You know - Xtracrylix Light Gull Grey (XA1137) ain't a bad match :hmmm:

I bit the bullet and painted the cockpit today - a base coat of Lifecolor Panzer Grey highlighted with Barley Grey, the front seats hand painted and highlighted with Polish Officer's uniform color, and some white dots here & there to simulate lighting. The white strip across the back of the cockpit is a small strip of white decal from a left over Tamiya sheet.

It looks a lot better at 100% magnification with a pair of eyes, and everything is toned down when placed under the cockpit glazing.

cockpit1.jpg

I also gave the two cannon bays the same treatment, giving each one a bit of extra depth with some black wash in the recesses (not pictured).

I though one of those special "sculpting a galaxy" tomes went for 80 odd quid the other month on ebay could be wrong. Wheres the 1/144th chewie Mike? :D

Cheers Paul :)
Great links, Paul.

Glad I could help. ;)

Funny... I've just had a look through all the pics, and there's only one bit of battle damage that required me to dig into the plastic, and that's just outboard of the forward looking antenna on the port topside.

Well, there are a couple of scars you could add on the underside, if you wanted too. :)

millennium_falcon32incher.jpg

Thanks Paul - I've added a scraggy looking strip of damage like the big one of the two on the rear underside - a lot of the other less serious damage is paint effects, so I'll probably do the rest that way. I've put her on her legs, glued on the cannon bay glazing and masked it with Tamiya tape - I didn't bother with the masks, as by the time I'd cut them out, I may as well have cut tape in position. Didn't take too long, and it was easier to cut the circular central windows in situ than cut out the circular masks :shrug:

hull6.jpg

:lol: Dumbass... Seriously though, it's a very easy kit to build. Hats off to the tooling guys, as everything fits perfectly - I've hardly had to sand anything, and the cap has stayed on the filler :clap2:

Saying that, the leading edges of the landing skis will need a dab, as will the undersides of the cannon packs, due to some small sink marks there :)

I got round to putting the first layer of paint on the Falcon today, after using up a bit of Panzer Grey to apply some shadows to the recessed equipment bays. I used Xtracrylix XA1137 - Light Gull Grey, as it appears to be an almost perfect match to the elusive (in the UK at least) Polly S Grime that the original models were painted with. it also has the benefit of being acrylic, which suits my mode of operation, and in stock, which suits my wallet ^_^

It's just a lazy, drifted on coat at the moment, and I'll review, adjust and tidy it up tomorrow when I've had a chance to look at it in daylight. I think a quick thanks should go both to Smiffy for the tip on the correct color, and to Daz for pointing out a useful alternative :)

hull7.jpg

hull8.jpg

I'm currently running my PC on Ubuntu, so can't process any pics I take yet. I'm downloading some new packages though, so once that's finished I'll flip back to Windows and take a few... kids! :fraidnot:

Ok... flipped back to Windows so I could get a fix of Queens of the Stone Age/Eagles of Death Metal, and took a photo...

Each decal has to have its carrier film removed, or trimmed Danger Close as we used to say in the Special Forces ;) The decals are perfect for size, they just need to lose the excess film so that they'll snuggle down properly. plenty of Mr Mark Softer was applied and some pressure with the end of a cotton bud was used to get the decals to settle over the raised detail :)

hull9.jpg

I'm just working on the last of the underside decals now... slow going :)