1/72 Vac Form P1 Lightning.

Fmk.6john

Afternoon all,

I have got my teeth into my very first Vac-Form kit and thought it would be a good idea to show you all the progress.....

This is an Aeroclub conversion kit that requires the addition of a donor kit of your choice, I have opted to use the Hasegawa Fmk.6 kit with the cranked wing leading edge as I really like the way it looks, The kit will be made as 'in flight' as this what I am after to display (also a good excuse for not scratch building the undercarriage bays :unsure:).

My very first attempt at a VF kit so it's well bellow amature standard but if I don't try I'll never know and this is the only way to make a P1 Lightning :wacko:.

Here are the kits....

img3154qz1.jpg

Vac Form sheet....

img3157mq1.jpg

Sprue from Hase kit for the wings....

img3158kk7.jpg

White metal parts and VF canopy....

img3156ru6.jpg

Basic parts hacked to bits, fingers bleeding, fuse burnt out and now sleeping on sofa :blink:.....

img3189bk3.jpg

Kit has no cockpit appart from floor and back so I have chucked some glue and plasticard at it to come up with this....

img3193qq5.jpg

Gave the pit some paint and a bit of detail, this is nothng lke the real thing but with the canopy closed it does give the impression of a basic pit rather than a black hole....

img3197lu2.jpg

Thats it for now folks, shiift work and kids rule my life at the moment so the next update might be a while away, comments/hints/tips all most welcome.

Regards,

John.

P.S. Nearly forgot, the kit does not have any decals so a helpfull point n the right direction would be great.

That's looking good John. I'm impressed with your cockpit work............ makes the whole thing look a lot better :speak_cool: Have wanted to try this subject for a long time so will be following this with interest. Just one thing though........ I'm not sure but I don't think you'll be able to use the F6 wings to make a P1. I'm fairly sure that the P1 had the earlier type wing with the straight leading edge and not the later one with the "kink" in it. Can anyone else confirm this? Hope I caught you in time :pray:

Gary.

Edited by rdxtnt

That's looking good John. I'm impressed with your cockpit work............ makes the whole thing look a lot better :speak_cool: Have wanted to try this subject for a long time so will be following this with interest. Just one thing though........ I'm not sure but I don't think you'll be able to use the F6 wings to make a P1. I'm fairly sure that the P1 had the earlier type wing with the straight leading edge and not the later one with the "kink" in it. Can anyone else confirm this? Hope I caught you in time :pray:

Gary.

The P.1A WG760 was fitted with both wings. WG763 retained the original wing but did have the F.1 type belly tank.

John

You can use either type of wing, as the extended chord tips were tested on the P1. The leading edge notches will need to be filled in. The Airfix wings are pretty naff in any case, I am going to wait for the MPM/Xtrakit stuff to be released before using any Aeroclub trainer/prototype fuselages for modelling.

peebeep

Thought I would catch someone with this!!!!.

Yes the P1 did fly with the F.6 cranked wing when they researched the problems with transonic buffet, the wing gave a better transonic performance.

The wing was not adopted though until the advent of the MK.2A's and the MK3's that were converted to F.6.

Regards,

John.

Peebeep

The leading edge notches were on all types of wing as they formed part of the inward vent valves for the fuel tanks.

Regards,

John.

Speedy

I was inspired by your build so I got hold of a Merlin models P1 off the dreaded evil-bay, my hat off to you sir for sorting out one of the shittiest models I have ever seen, needles to say I have put it in the stash :blush: .

The Aeroclub conversion offered a better start for a novice like moi and only cost £7 and the Hase kit was £6, a little more progress was made yesterday with the joining of the two sides and a bit of filling, will post some pics once I get the wings mocked up.

Just a quicky, If I scan in the decals from the Merlin kit could I e-mail them to someone to print them off for me?, I only have the one set and I don't want to use them.

Regards,

John.

Evening all,

Just before I sink into a bottle of Smirnoffs finest I thought I would post the latest.....

I have cut the wing slots and trial fitted them and I am pleased with the results, Both the wings and tailerons are perfectly level and there is a little fettling to get them lined up fore/aft and then set the diaherdal but for now I am happy to get them as close as I have.

Plenty of filling and sanding to get the joints perfect but that can wait for another day.

img3201ak6.jpg

img3204tn8.jpg

img3203qr8.jpg

Ta Ta for now time for some :beer:

John.

It's been suprising Perry, This is the only way I can build a P1 so I gripped the danglies by the whotsits and I am rather enjoying it.

Never thought I would do a VF kit but after this one who knows.

John.

Speedy

I was inspired by your build so I got hold of a Merlin models P1 off the dreaded evil-bay, my hat off to you sir for sorting out one of the shittiest models I have ever seen, needles to say I have put it in the stash :blush: .

The Aeroclub conversion offered a better start for a novice like moi and only cost £7 and the Hase kit was £6, a little more progress was made yesterday with the joining of the two sides and a bit of filling, will post some pics once I get the wings mocked up.

Just a quicky, If I scan in the decals from the Merlin kit could I e-mail them to someone to print them off for me?, I only have the one set and I don't want to use them.

Regards,

John.

Thanks for you kind comments. The end result is quite satisfying, as there's not that many about. Good luck - will keep watching.

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I have finally got round to doing a bit more but as I got on with stuff I forgot to take some progress shots :doh: .

After slaving the wings on there was a minimal amount of filling to do to get them to fit perfect, the tailplanes went on just as good but when it came to the white metal jet pipes it got a little tricky.

They went on ok but I had to fill quite a bit and carefully sand to get them looking right, the only thing I didn't do was to fit some pipes inside the fuselage but I might do this at a later date.

Some pics to show you the condition after the first shot of Halfords plastic primer.

img3210xa5.jpg

img3209rw1.jpg

img3208ql0.jpg

I have sanded and filled the blemeshes and as I type she is in the spray booth with the final coat of primer drying out, who knows if I get going she may have some silver on by the end of the week :yahoo: .

Regards,

John.