Ma.K attack Bipod Walker Scratch Build FEET WEAPONS UPDATE

NEW IMAGES SEE MY LAST POST

Well I have some kits ordered and I always fancied one of the biped models they do and will eventually end up with one like this below.

PL8xUi8OEogerjcnPwFbmYJro1_400.jpg

But today I was bored and at the price of them wondered if I could utilize a few bits of one of those megga cheap Challengers that were for sale of late.......

Ok here goes and don't laugh, this is the start of it and what I made today, It's semi painted already as it was a partial exercise in working on some colours for the ones on order. Decals from the said tank model too

I have started off with the pod, the idea is it has been coated in some type of Zimmerit that has to be frank seen better days,

the bottom shows it as it is unpainted and a bit rougher than the top

Side views so you can spot the tanky bits :) the colour starts off as a flourescent type green flowing into a vivid blue and will then me thinks go to a light grey underside.. hairy sticked vallejo paints

This shows the start of the biped swivel in the making attached to the bottom, needs to be a lot bigger.

Rear view

For those interested, the main pear shaped hull which I settled on is simply that! Marks and Spencer do some delish 4 pears in a polystryene tray effort........ I simply eat the pears Yum Yum, took the tray, cut two of the pear shapes out of it, taped them together to form the shape rolled out some magic sculp and laid it over the shape until it was fully covered, rolling the seems together with a bit of tubing, I then took ragged edged bits of magic sculp, wet the lower layer and over laid it, the pattern was then added by rolling the diamond knurl hand grips on some of my carving tools over it in several overlapping directions, i used the end of the tools to feather and break up the edges and introduce holes and pitting, secret is to use torn bits when you over lay it to give a rough edge..... Various bits of detail were added, the large grill type shape on the back is simply a smooth piece of magic sculp over laid again then using the parallel "knurled grip on a instrument screwdriver roll that down it.......... Comments welcome :)

Edited by TonyT

Great work Tony. I'd never heard of these Ma.K kits until I spotted a few posts on here recently, they look fantastic.

I just know I'm going to have to get a few of them, that Anti gravity raider is it? looks brilliant, and some of the robot figures as well!

The good thing with stuff like this is that nobody can say you've built it wrong, should have a XXXX pod on that pylon and not a YYYY pod etc.

Looking forward to your progress! :thumbsup2:

Doug have some on order, will post some piccies of them when they arrive, the pics above are a bit deceptive as they are enlarged them far above the normal size, so they look rougher finished than in reality.

Ebay, Ordered 2 of the environmental suit type things and some skimpily dressed chick mechanic, should be here soon, 2 for Hong Kong and one from France, figure and one suit 1/20th, the other 1/16th scale :D

Nice one Tony, I like the smiler nice figure. At £50 a pop for the Ma.K kits i am thinking of some scratchbuilding myself. Haven't your kits arrived yet. :D

I have taken down the above images as they were just to close to see what it looks like, UPDATE I am now working on the base of the thing and the legs, have added constructed the power unit base out of bits from one of those 1/35 cheap challengers, then added my own Magic sculp Zimerit type past and some weathering, ( still more to come) additionally I have started on the legs, thought they need a lot more work.. the top of the base and main structure is the rear end plate of the challenger hull :D

Comments please welcome, as said this is scratchbuilt and the top is moulded around a M and S Pear tray :D I do hope you can see the oily effect that you get with oil on water I was trying to simulate in the green paints, all the paints including the weathering are bog standard Vallejo items, all applied and blended with a hairy stick.

Painting and decalling stuff like this as I go along is just a me thing, as there are no drawings and just an Idea in my head, I envisage what it will sort of look like and by more or less completing bits as I go along is akin to putting it down on paper, I then have a visual reference as to how I want to proceed and the finished condition of the next part can be visualised off that....... just my way of doing stuff like this and one hopes it works :)

rear-2.jpg

front.jpg

side2-1.jpg

side-1.jpg

base-2.jpg

base1-2.jpg

Edited by TonyT

Not the best light today to photograph the latest update, have finished scratchbuilding the legs and weathering them, onto the feet next, hence the Glass at the moment propping it up for photos......... Please suggestions and comments welcomed, at the moment was thinking of a 3 fwd toes and one aft foot design unless you know better.....

BTW this is my 3rd ever attempt at a scratch build :) I have gone for the been through the wars weathered and rusting look....... never been into pristine as it never happens in real life..... I have also made it look like it is driven as opposed to the kits you see with no working mechanisms...

Have been considering cutting a section out of the pod and adding an interior too :D Ok onto the updates and please do comment, it gives me an impetus to get it done...

Sideleg.jpg

LSideleg.jpg

frontleg.jpg

RearLeg2.jpg

RearLeg.jpg

* Forgot to add all done with a hairy stick :)

Edited by TonyT

Tony you have a real skill going on there. Ever thought making this a tripod machine with side rocket launchers.

Hairy stick looks good as any mistakes you can put down to roughness on the build.

Tony you have a real skill going on there. Ever thought making this a tripod machine with side rocket launchers.

Hairy stick looks good as any mistakes you can put down to roughness on the build.

Thank you :)

To add a third leg would mean a rebuild to get a place to mount it, however the rocket pods are a damn good idea so I am constructing a multi barrel item to hang under the main pod base structure, that way it gives it some "weight" and fills what in the photo looks a large area, but in reality isnt... :)

Edited by TonyT

Guest snipersmudge

really interesting, love the fact I can find kit parts from different models, the paint work is superb really like the colours used and the weathering effects :speak_cool:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, have added the Pilgrim weapons pack :P named after the suggestor :D

Oddly enough I had unintentionaly added the ideal mount for it and all it needed was one of those wheel soft plastic things adding to it and I could them have the gun able to rotate, Have added and painted it, also added some of the aerials to the main pod and have turned my attention to the feet, but I am having a brain dump over them and have already binned one version..... may just work something around the temp stands added.

Also have been thinking of a shoulder mounted weapon pod on the rear section of the bipod base that could swivel up on a mast aka the one on the predator and the APC in Aliens...... what do you think? good idea or not? also bought a small fortune in plastic rod to add some cabling etc and an interior is still in the back of my mind.

Trying to get a decent pic is doing my head in but anyway, so far.......................

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun4.jpg

The Pilgrim Weapons pod :D

gun5.jpg

Little update, feet added and painting in progress on them, still not 100% on them but will see, also added a rear defence arm that is done so it can fire in multi directions and swivel, figure added to scale it, 1/35th..... plodding on and comments / ideas/ help appreciated :D

walk1.jpg

walk.jpg

walk2.jpg