Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricane

Sorry to forgo the usual preliminaries of box and sprue shots.

Will be using the Eduard set specifically made for the Hase Hurri.

Not as good imho as the same companies set for the Revell kit. Though this one does have flaps which will be saved for another build.

Ditto the superfluous wheel well, as the kit's is fine except for the missing resevoir cylynder. (Which I scratched but have placed askew :banghead:)

Couple of shots to show willing:

015.jpg

014.jpg

As you can see part of the side console is in styrene coz stoopid broke that bit off and fed it to the floorboard monster :rolleyes:

The instructions are a tad ambiguous for the PE set and it worked loose due to too much correcting.

That is my excuse. No deviation from said excuse will be made.

Note the missing detail on the foot plate- that is how it came :(

• 3 weeks later...

Have been rattling along (by my standards) and have her primed.

Just a few seams to see to that the primer has shown up, but hopefully nothing too much of a problem.

The problems however are the kit doesn't come with a De Havilland spinner but that is clearly the type used.

Fortunately I have a resin cast from SAM and although spinner and props are moulded together it is not too bad. Unfortunately I had to drill out the nose so attaching could be tricky.

Secondly and more of a concern is that the wheels have the 5 spoke wheels but the kits have 4.

Checked to see what was in the AZ models early hurri and there are no spokes :doh:

Have not been taking pics on this one but will try and get a couple posted tomorrow.

Edited by walrus

Have been rattling along (by my standards) and have her primed.

Just a few seams to see to that the primer has shown up, but hopefully nothing too much of a problem.

The problems however are the kit doesn't come with a De Havilland spinner but that is clearly the type used.

Fortunately I have a resin cast from SAM and although spinner and props are moulded together it is not too bad. Unfortunately I had to drill out the nose so attaching could be tricky.

Secondly and more of a concern is that the wheels have the 5 spoke wheels but the kits have 4.

Checked to see what was in the AZ models early hurri and there are no spokes :doh:

Have not been taking pics on this one but will try and get a couple posted tomorrow.

Hi Paul

Good to see progress.

forgot to say, a good source for a De Havilland Prop is a Spitfire Mk1, you can swap the Hurricane rotol prop with a Spitfire MkI to make Spit MkII... unfortunately 5 spoke Hurricane wheels are a quite pricey....

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMQ72081

HTH

T

cheers

Troy

Edited by Troy Smith

Many thanks Troy

I don't have any Spitfires

(too heretical for a Hawker fan!) Actually wouldn't mind a MkII Spit to commemorate Castle Brom :hmmm:

Those CMR wheels look ok but when you add in postage, not so attractive. :lol:

I have found some old Frog?/Revell Tempest 5 spokers that while not 100% maybe passable if nothing else turns up.

Have compared them to the kit parts and they look about the right size give or take a gnat's whiskers.

My spare resin De Havilland spinner and prop will be ok I reckon. But am surprised that no one does a De Havilland resin replacement.

This one looks good....five spoke wheels eh?? Must remember that!!!

Cheers,

ggc

The wheels are incorrect as mentioned above.

So far the Tempest wheels are the best I have.

006.jpg

Would the Airfix Spit MkI wheels be any better please?

erm, I have never seen Tempest wheels like that! What kit? They are 6 spoke! Look more like a P-38....

If you can graft the Airfix MK I hubs onto the Hurricane wheels... that works. Maybe not to hard if you hvae a drill bit same size as the hub, drill out Hase hub, and then cut out the hub from the airfix wheel, right now that means destroying the airfix tyre, but saving the hub and then grafting on. I'm thinking using like heavy stanley knife and then cleaning up carefully with scalpel and file to leave a thin shim with the 5 spoke hub, or a core if you can drill out the hase hub OK. Hope that makes sense?

And, I presume you are doing a MK I ....if so, you need to sand off the outer set gun panel on the Hase wing, these are only for the "B" wing.

012-1.jpg

HTH

cheers

Troy

Erm... I never said I could count!

there is no hope for me is there? :suicide:

You could be correct Troy, I assumed they came from the Revell Tempest which also looks nothing like a Tempest that I have ever seen :lol:

Am thinking it is just as well to order the resin wheels, as there are some early exhausts that my fallible memory says will be needed for the Soviet Hurris

and it will save a bit of time.

thanks for the reminder.

I noticed the ejection ports and wing panels after priming :doh:

But completely forgot about the leading edge

Anyway all done and remrimed but the ejector ports need some more filler, despite the several attempts and them looking smoother than a baby's nethercheeks!

Bottom line is managed to pretty much get to a good stage before my daughter arrives (any time soon :yahoo:)

The resin wheels have arrived, along with a De Havilland prop and early exhausts.

The prop I will probably save for a rainy day, and the exhausts for my Red Star Hurri.

The latter still looks too skinny to me :soapbox:

but nicely cast without the sink marks and ejection pins that the Hase kit parts have.

Hopefuly will be making more progress this week and will get the pics up.