Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter

Jazzy Jase

I'll be making a 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter with Ultracast Seats and Exhausts for this Group Build.

Today I've removed all the parts from the sprues and glued the wings and tails together.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning up all the parts ready for assembly and priming.

4589406054_b4c3ed0955_o.jpg

Edited by Jazzy Jase

I like the look of this one Jazzy, but I have one question, which I hope isnt stupid, but why have you removed all the parts off the sprues?

Bexy

I like the look of this one Jazzy, but I have one question, which I hope isnt stupid, but why have you removed all the parts off the sprues?

Bexy

lol, no it's not a stupid question. I removed them so that I could clean them all up in one go. Also it gets the sprues out of the way (I have a very small work area).

It's a really simple kit so I'm not gonna forget where each bit goes.

• 2 weeks later...

No photos's but here's a quick update. Not much done!

I've started cleaning the parts up. The little intakes on the front of the exausts had a strange moulding around them which made cleanup difficult if I wanted to ge a decent result, so I chopped them off and drilled holes where they were. I've found some 1mm copper tube off evilbay. So once that arrives i'll be fitting it into the holes.

I've also taken delivery of the Aires wheels and removed them from the blocks. To my eye the look a little too flat at the bottom, especially the tail wheel, but I'll see how they look on the finished model. I can always change them for the kit items.

Okay, here's the modified engine cowlings. I think I might drill out the holes in the intakes to make them a little bigger.

4627561576_d7658b3606_o.jpg

The Tamiya Beaufighter's a really nice kit, it practically falls together. They did drop the ball a couple of times though, particularly with the ejector ports for the wing guns. There should only be one slot for each gun, not two as Tamiya has modelled it. This is copied from the restored Beaufighter at Hendon, which was presumably fitted with different wing guns at some point, probably during it's Portugese service. Check period photographs to determine which ports should be filled.

There are also several repair patches which Tamiya has reproduced as raised areas.

Cheers,

Bill.

Thanks for the heads up. The wings are already glued together so I'm not going to attempt to fill in one set of holes now. At least they're on the underside so won't be seen. I'm fine with the repair patches. I'm sure this must have happened in-service occasionally!

No progress made since last time. I'm starting a new job on Tuesday so been really busy at work handing over all my existing projects.

• 1 month later...

Having been on holiday and starting a new job, progress on the Beau has been slow, but this weekend I've managed to assemble and paint the interior.

4749454321_aac8940d02_b.jpg

4750099508_17e13c544b_b.jpg

4750098356_3f4940dc71_b.jpg

4750098924_bbb9c1c1b0_b.jpg

Apart from the Ultracast seats I'm not doing a lot to the interior as most of it is hidden away.

I've lost the little instrument panel for the rear. I'm going to go and have another good search for it now.

Finally, I've Fitted the Ultracast Exhausts to the cowlings and a pair of Little Lenses to the light in the wing.

EDIT: Removed duplicate image.

Edited by Jazzy Jase

:oops: Mish you are correct. The Instructions would have you paint it XF19 - Sky Grey. Never mind. It's barely visible inside the fuselage anyway.

On a more positive note, I found the missing rear instrument panel. It was blu-tacked to a cocktail stick inside the box. Yay! That's now painted and drying.

I almost just lost the gunsight too. Grabbed it with some tweezers for painting only for it to ping off. I heard it hit something solid in the bathroom opposite and noticed it sat there in the bottom of the toilet. Lovely. :toilet:

Quick update before I'm busy for the rest of the weekend.

Fuselage, wings and tail all glued together, filled where necessary and re-scribed.

Clear parts attached, masked and sprayed interior green.

Brake lines added to the undercarriage legs from 0.2mm lead wire.

I was thinking about adding some detail to the engines. I was expecting to see wires all over the place but looking at photos on the net that doesn't seem to be the case so I've decided to leave them alone.

Next job (hopefully tomorrow evening) is to primer everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Another photo-less update. :sorry: I'll try and take some tonight. I've done a lot over the last few weeks.

The landing gear and Aires wheels have been assembled, painted and then weatherd with Citadel washes (as well as the insides of the gear doors). I'm regretting using 0.2mm wire for the brake lines, I think 0.3mm would have looked better and would probably have prevented me breaking one.

I changed my mind again on detailing the engines so after I painted them Alclad Aluminium I put some 0.3mm wire into each cylinder to make them look more busy. It's not accurate but I'm pleased with how it looks.

Everything else has been painted black and post shaded with grey. After a couple of coats of Klear I've applied the decals which haven't silvered too badly and I'll give it another quick coat of Klear this evening.

The post shading has almost disappeared under the Klear (I'll make it even lighter next time) so I'm going to try a dot filter using oil paints to add back some colour.

I've found a photo of the aircraft I'm building and it has the shorter intakes on top of the engine (the instructions say to use the longer ones). Also in the photo it looks like the rear tail wheel leg is black rather than grey, but I've left it grey to provide some colour.

I'm also starting to worry that I've not quite masked the front, side windscreens well enough over the little bumps but I won't know until I remove the tape if it's okay or not.

Okay, here's a couple of photos. The fuselage is now undergoing surgery after I held it a little too firmly and cracked it along the join. Doh!

4815554393_8ca3b93169_b.jpg

4815554943_f4bf499b2d_b.jpg

I spent the weekend weathering and attaching all the small pieces. Almost finished. Just a coat of matt varnish to go...

I recently bought some Humbrol Matt Cote after hearing good things about it here. I'd used the satin finish on the props and landing gear and was really happy with the finish. So on with the matt. Mixed exactly the same as satin I sprayed the top of the port wing...

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH I'm so angry right now. The Matt Cote has covered the wing in white dust. A rub down with an old tshirt and a coat of Klear has partially helped. but the roundel still looks dusty and my weathering is disappearing. I'll have to give it anothe Klear tonight and hope for the best. Don't really want to strip the wing and start again.

What's really bothering me is why it happened in the first place.