Hobby Boss Tornado F3 - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

thankyou my friend - so the canopy is taller but the spine should still be the same height? thats what I'm reading.

Jonners

On the real a/c -yes but I think the difference between the two kit canopies is because of the lengthened spine on the ADV. Because HB have kept the new spine upper line a constant gradient from the fin to the canopy, the spine has ended up being higher on the F3 at the rear cockpit than on the GR1

And did'nt Mr Soong from Trumpy request information from forums such as here & ARC,which are,IMHO,the main modelling internet sites out there at the moment.No weather they act on the information is another thing but,again IMHO,the are enough of us 'experts' on various subjects who have worked/flown/crashed on various subject's for them to approach & ask if something looks right.

bit late to the thread but regarding research etc i had a chat to one of the reps at nurnberg last year and gave him my details as i was already doing research for a few aviation diecast companies.

had a email a week or so after i got back to the uk,then heard nothing for months then out of the blue i get sent the scan of the typhoon decal sheet for the twin sticker asking can i check it.

well it was full of spelling mistakes and wrong colours etc but the crux of the matter is they use one book and a few photos and maybe an existing kit of the subject they are making and when you mention payment forget it.

anyway feel free to move or delete this post and sorry to go back offf the topic.

On the real a/c -yes but I think the difference between the two kit canopies is because of the lengthened spine on the ADV. Because HB have kept the new spine upper line a constant gradient from the fin to the canopy, the spine has ended up being higher on the F3 at the rear cockpit than on the GR1

Turning the above statement in plasticmodelers language does it means :

1- the canopy itself is right molded in lenght X width X height ?

2- just the F-3 canopy and/or the IDS too ?

3- to solve that over spined line just sand down it to the canopy height ?

4- from where should be the better point to start sanding straight to the canopy ? ( in milimeters, please ) ? :banghead:

Thank You and Good Luck.

Tonka

Sounds like more disapointment for the Tornado fans.

Does the F-3 kits canopy fit well in the closed position?

Shaun.

Hi Shaun the canopy fits fine closed, but because its too deep it throws the whole look out IMHO - sort of like an F3 charicature.

Its not help by the fact that the canopy is also too overly curved along its top profoile on the front section ( over the pilots seat) - which makes it look to bulbous.

I'm trying to work out if theres a fix for this, but unlike the GR canopy where its easier to add to depth for the lower framing, this is harder to figure as a straight modelling fix ( if nigh impossible).

Jonners

Turning the above statement in plasticmodelers language does it means :

1- the canopy itself is right molded in lenght X width X height ?

2- just the F-3 canopy and/or the IDS too ?

3- to solve that over spined line just sand down it to the canopy height ?

4- from where should be the better point to start sanding straight to the canopy ? ( in milimeters, please ) ? :banghead:

Thank You and Good Luck.

Tonka

The kink in the spine on the F3 is hard to spot but this should help. Manufacturers don't get this right - a bit like the missing 'hump' in the Buccaneers spine!

f3spine-1.jpg

Edited by Blacktjet

I own one of those rear cockpit sticks :)

The one shown here :)

gal_040.jpg

At the risk of pointing out the very obvious.... you do know that the rear cockpit in this photo is of a single sticker? The "stick" shown is actually the Nav's Hand Controller (NHC) used by the Nav/ WSO to operate the radar & a few other systems. The few twin stick trainer F3s had a very different rear cockpit layout to accomodate flying controls, throttles, wingsweep lever, etc.

And without wishing to re-open the whole "Is the canopy on the F3 the same as the GR? Yes/ No/ Maybe" debate..... I'm pretty sure they were but I'm standing by to be corrected. There, debate re-opened!

Doug

Edited by DougC

Right - as promised - pics of the nose after its first round of modification:

F3nosemod1.jpg

f3nosemodnotfilled4.jpg

F3nosemod2.jpg

F3nosemod3.jpg

Its the lower area around the gun port thats been built up, the other side is still unmodified. I've also reduced the diameter of the nose cone and the circular foward fusaleg are to whihc it connects - this gives it the pinched in look. Looks a bit drastic in the pics, its actually not as kinky as thepics make out - but the kink is definirlty ther.

So over to you giys. All opinions welcomed.

Jonners

Nice job, Jonners. :analintruder:

I would like to see such reshape in resin aftermarket sets , as well the IDS correction too . :innocent:

But again : is the canopy itself right molded in lenght X width X height ?

Cheers

Tonka

Edited by Tonka

Just a quick note to say I'm now pretty pleased with the new nose shape I have on the model, and I've found a pretty simple way of making the canopy look better, and adding the prominent lower sills.

Pics this evening, so you can all see if it looks any better! :)

Jonners

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

If there was a resin correction set available I'd definately purchase a few as I've got quite a few F-3's in the stash

• 6 years later...