What's flying over your house?

itsafokker

Had a couple of FRADU Hawks yesterday (from Culdrose) in formation, around 2000ft of so, seen flitting through broken cloud here in (not so) sunny Kernow! I've seen the anniverary scheme one (is there more than one, I don't know) with the white fin around a fair bit, too...

Folks - Farnborough is the place to be right now!

We've had the Aermacchi M346 and Super Hornet the last couple of days, even in the rain and cloudy conditions. And on a less dramatic but equally exotic note, an algae-powered DA42! Hopefully expecting to see some more wacky stuff the week after RIAT.

Well, just had a Merlin very low (200 ft or so) when I left the house around 12:45. We don't get many jets here but we sure do get a decent share of helos (I'd imagine we probably get more Royal Navy Merlins than any other area?) :)

I saw an Air France cargo B747 on finals to 27 at Filton this evening. Saturday before last I was treated to a Spitfire and a Lynx putting on a bit of a show. The Spit headed off to the west and the Lynx disappeared below the trees, presumably to land at Filton. I live about a mile north-east of the eastern threshold of its main runway.

I mostly see light stuff such as Piper Cherokees but I've seen a Diamond twin, the Red Arrows, various BBMF aircraft and an A380 on approach. You also get British Midland's EMB312s and (I think) Saxonhenge's King Airs.

Joseph

Nine red hawks,making a nuisance of themselves frightning the pet rabbit to death,some american wonder plane,who judging from the number of times he went up today cant get his routine right and various other bits & bobs,must be something going on round here :closedeyes: .chris

Patrouille de France Alpha Jets - c. 1500' AGL inbound Fairford...

Son Cameron, aged three, is getting there - heard them and went to patio window downstairs - came back and shouted upstairs - Daddy, Daddy - Red Arrows again...

Not quite right - but he's getting the idea :)

Iain

flies, butterflies, sparrows, pigeons...

and very high up some civilian stuff that is unrecognisable at the distance.

I want to live near an (active) airport again! They closed down Twente AFB a few years ago and that just sucks :( Only exciting thing that happened here recently was an emergency landing from a guy with an old Danish T-33 Thunderbird with electrical problems.

Tornado F3 - yadda, yadda...

Iain

Well they may be old to you, but I bet you still look up every time you hear them! ;)

I have neighbours who don't even look up when a Merlin buzzes us at 500ft or so... depressing people!

Well they may be old to you, but I bet you still look up every time you hear them! ;)

I have neighbours who don't even look up when a Merlin buzzes us at 500ft or so... depressing people!

Sorry Dave - you missed the tone of my typed words...

Was more an apology if I'm boring everyone - as in 'another jet inbound Fairford' - believe me - seeing anything like that overhead is a treat!

Being close to Brize we do get the VC-10s, Tristars and C-17s - and the occasional FJ traffic (oh - and the Benson Merlins and Pumas doing tree top/nap of the earth flying - incl at night) - but Fairford does bring our yearly fix of interesting stuff. Oh - we also get XH558 stooging about from time to time :)

A far cry from when I were a lad - Norfolk - late 60s and 70's. Like living *on* an aircraft carrier - days long gone...

Lightning four ship vertical takeoffs

A-10 pairs playing 'tag' along the coast...

Jags from Colt flying along *below* my bedroom window (father had a house on top of the cliffs)

Tooms, Buccaneers...

Jolly Greens

Victors and occasional Vulcans

Canberras

Hunters

Wessex/Sea Kings

Even F-105s and NATO 104s/Mirages

F-111s and F-100s

KC-97s, KC-135s

You get the picture...

Guess it explains my aviation passion - along with just a little genetic makeup ;)

So - no - wasn't meaning to be patronising of the F3

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

I don't get anything much flying over my house, but my new office is really close to Farnborough so I've got plenty to see and hear at the moment. Last night I watched the F-22 practising it's display.

Fair enough Iain! I bet you guys who live up that way get a fair bit more "interesting" stuff than we. Now, I'm a bit young to talk about the 70s and all, but I do remember a lot of USAF stuff over North Cornwall when I was little (90s), though I don't know whether they were based down here. We used to get F-111s a fair bit, and also F-15s (which I saw two of at cliff-top height near St. Just the other day :)). These days, it's just Hawks and Helos from Culdrose, not that I complain when I see them...

Tornado GR4 outbound Fairford - heading North @ c. 1500'AGL

Iain

Followed by 1 x GR4? and what looked like 5 Hawks - same height/bearing...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Correction - 1 x F3 + 4 x T Mk 1 Hawks + 1 x Hawk T Mk 2

Just finishing holding to North - inbound Fairford

Iain

And = just now - what looked like 767? + 2 x F-15

Followed by 3 F-16s

Iain

Correction - apparently Kiwi 757 - overhead several times...

Oh - and another Tornado GR4.

Our normal low level GA traffic has disappeared as we're under the NOTAMed zone for Fairford.

Son Cameron has got *very* excited by all of this! Off out with Mum to Bourton-in-the-Water - told him I want a full report on anything he sees ;)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG