What's flying over your house?

itsafokker

Had a EH-101 Merlin fly over me on the way home (on the A10 between Ware and Buntingford) at about 100FT!!!!!!!!! Awesome!

(My fave Helo) and not that far away there was a little Bi-Plane doing aerobatics.

Chris

not much these days...gone are the days of FRADU Hunters and canberras, sadly :(..just FOST's dauphins, DHC-8s of Air Southwest, lynxs and the occasional merlin.

having said that we were buzzed today by a FRADU hawk.

steve

Hi Folks

Being close to Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument we get a lot of small single engined high and low wing monoplanes, microlights and the occasional powered glider. We are also directly below a route used by the tourist helos that work out of Edinburgh or elsewhere taking trips over the Castle and Monument.

Every now and again we have seen the local float plane that runs off the lochs and the Clyde.

Search and Rescue helos from HMS Gannet and Lossie track in to drop patients at Stirling Royal Infirmary (Don't know how long that will last with Larbert hospital having opened). Gazelle helos from Luechars pass close by on the odd occasion.

Very occasionally have seen Tornados, Hercs, Merlins, Chinooks, Pumas and Apache helos coming from, heading to or tracking parallel to the Ochil Hills. We know they use the M9 and A9 as routes with the Castle and Monument as way points.

Looking forward to the military show at the park in June as we will get the usual visit from HMS Gannet.

Nige

Commercial stuff way high approaching JFK from Europe (I live about 100 miles ENE of JFK). Lower down the summer helicopter traffic is busy ferrying the beautiful people between NYC and the Hamptons with Friday afternoons and Monday mornings being particularly noisy. We used to have a fair amount of military activity when Grumman's Peconic River Plant and Westhampton AFB were operational, but both are long gone with only the occasional Blackhawk or C-130 from 106th Rescue at Westhampton still passing by over the Peconic Bay. The Blackhawk at night about 150' over the water really rattles the windows! We also used to be treated to a regular 0820 boom from the Concord approaching JFK, but sadly that is history as well. The most interesting thing I remember about the Concord saga is our government's denial of any connection between it and the morning boom. Interstingly enough, there was no boom on days it did not fly and the boom was later in the day when weather delays intervened, nonetheless the FAA insisted to the end that there was no connection. Oh yes, we also have the Medevac helicopters from the Suffolk County Police. My ambulance has used the Medevac three times in the past 36 hours (1 PE, 1 CF complications and 1 CVA) and a neighboring ambulance just finished with it for another CVA. The summer season has begun on the East End of Long Island.

LOL :)

Was assuming he'd be in London tonight though - voted here this morning...

Iain

EDIT - crumbs our little village just been live on Beeb! Nothing ever happens here!

Edited by 32SIG

Taipei Airport (quite a busy one)...

MD82/90, Boeing 757/767, Airbus A320/A321, Dash-8, Fokker 100, ERJ-190, ATR-72, BK-117, SA 365 Dauphin

Air Force:

Boeing 737-800, Fokker 50, Beach 1900 (VIP Squadron)

S-70C

C-130H

Mirage 2000, F-16, IDF, F-5, E-2C/K (Air Force Day demo only)

Air Police:

UH-1H

From memory...

US Navy A-6 (1970s)

C-160 (sales demo flight, 1980s)

Boeing 747

Boeing 727 (air liner and Air Force VIP Sqn)

C-47, C-119 (Air Force)

Ju-52 (Feb 2000, HB-HOS with IWC-Painting)

Edited by spitfire_pr19

Red kites, several of them, and it's a delight to see them so airily dismissive of the gulls, who're going absolutely demented at these interlopers.

Edgar

Always look out for them when driving up (or down) the M40 - and I'm rarely disappointed - A spectacular sight!!

Just as I was turning the computer on, the Sea Hurricane flew over (I'm about half a mile from Old Warden where it's based). Must admit I get a bit complacent with the Shuttleworth Collection flying over as I see them a lot.

But, of the feathered kind, I saw a golden oriole this morning at Lakenheath Fen. Mrs Young and I took a trip up there exceedingly early and were rewarded with seeing not only this but also our first good look at a cuckoo. Heard cuckoos lots of times but today was a first sighting for one and the golden oriole was especially brilliant.

For those of you interested in wildlife, here's what a golden oriole looks & sounds like:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/...iole/index.aspx

Back to the metal, this morning also saw KC135s out of Mildenhall and a pair of F15s fly over. No ash cloud worries for these guys!.

All in all, a great day for things flying.

Cheers, Andy.

For those of you interested in wildlife, here's what a golden oriole looks & sounds like:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/...iole/index.aspx

Thanks for the link Andy, I've been looking for a site with birdsong on to try & record for background sound for my model railway (yes, sad I know!!)

What a beautiful little bird that is - worth getting up early to see!

Keef

Cloud base is to low to see anything today.....unless you like clouds that is!!!!.

JB.

Thanks for the link Andy, I've been looking for a site with birdsong on to try & record for background sound for my model railway (yes, sad I know!!)

What a beautiful little bird that is - worth getting up early to see!

Keef

No probs Keef. Here's another good site with mp3 downloadable birdsong. (shows how sad I am too!!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/birdsong.shtml

Cheers, Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

Clocked a Vampire yesterday over Hitchin - anyone know where it was going, and which it was? Also... before getting back to Hitchin, had been at parents in Stafford - when what looked like a La-5 flew over - radial engine, very Russian styling... didn't look like a 'Max' traner though... same day, and same questions as above...

C

Stopped off at the pub yesterday around 4pm. The pub being the Travellers friend in Epping Green. Climbing off my trusty stead I heard something off in the distance ever grow nearer. I looked up! And was pleasantly surprised to see a Hurricane flying over around 500 feet up heading east. Lovely sight.

Was there an air show local to the London region yesterday apart from Southend?

Cheers,

Booby Von Buckles :rolleyes:

Not exactly my house, but took the caravan to Pembrey Country Park this week, we had Hawks using Pembrey range most days turning over the caravan site. Also a junglie Sea King in for a refuel and a Merlin firing up until midnight on Wednesday.