What's flying over your house?

itsafokker

There was a lot of noise about 11ish last night, not the usual noise from Norwich airport, but a long rumble that lasted a little while, sounded like several aircraft - Tonkas on the way to Libya?

There was a lot of noise about 11ish last night, not the usual noise from Norwich airport, but a long rumble that lasted a little while, sounded like several aircraft - Tonkas on the way to Libya?

I heard the same thing at around the same time, then again at about 2am, very unusual, definitely not airliners.

Where I work is directly under the approach flightpath to Lyneham, so I get a succession of Hercs with an occasional noisy VC-10.

Where I live, right on the edge of Salisbury Plain, the most spectacular stuff is the low-level para drops by C-17s. The sight and sound of those at night is awesome, especially banking at about 2000ft and the only thing you can actually see are the nav lights.

I also get quite a few Army Lynx and Apache helos

+++NEWS FLASH+++

I'm pretty certain an Airbus A400 just flew over my house banking slightly and at about 5000ft, time was 14:32. My guess is it's heading to Filton so if anyone is in the area they may wanna check it out. It all happened so fast that I didn't take a pic.

Apologies, I forgot you have to be a member to view that part of the forum. It arrived this afternoon and is leaving tomorrow.

> Thursday 24th March

>

> 1400 = Arrive over Filton - 1400

> 1400-1405 = fly-past of building 07N (2 passes)

>

>

> 1405-1410 = transfer to Abbeywood

> 1410-1425 = fly-past of Abbeywood (2 x passes)

>

>

> 1425-1435 = transfer to suspension bridge

> 1435-1450 = fly-past of suspension bridge (2 x passes)

>

>

> 1515 = Landing Filton

>

>

> Friday 25th March

>

> 1515 = Departure to Toulouse

Edited by Scarlet

Not quite over my house, but close enough to qualify I think:

F3end-1.jpg

F-3 farewell tour flypast this morning. Shot out of the car window as I wasn't able to get to where I wanted to shoot them from in time. Quality's off as I hadn't got my camera set up the way I wanted before they went OTT of the car - I was stopped at a junction when I shot this!

Apologies, I forgot you have to be a member to view that part of the forum. It arrived this afternoon and is leaving tomorrow.

No worries. I was right then, must have been lining up for a pass on the Severn Bridge. My house is only a few miles away from it, on the Welsh side.

Today was a busy day, as well as the usual Typhoons and F3's (not for much longer though) we had Tucanos, a GR4, Andover, Navy seaking and a Chinook has just landed (17:30). I don't think I'll get this variety at Benson :(

Just caught the last minute or so of a Spitfire and Vulcan flying overhead. Both made for Doncaster (sorry Robin Hood) airport. Wish I'd had my camera or phone with me.

Anyone know why they would be at Doncaster?

It must be spring! Today a Boeing Stearman, resplendent in yellow and blue took off low over our house. Probably G-BSWC it was a lovely sight and sound. The first of many biplane sightings for the year I hope.

When I started this subject I never guessed it would last so long!

David