What's flying over your house?

itsafokker

A Puma HC2 (?) over East Lothian late this morning, a rare sight these days, I say HC2 as I don't think there are any HC1 left now?

Muzz, you're correct - the last HC1 flight was in Dec 12. The one you saw was most likely returning to Leeming from Oban.

Thanks for confirming that. It was heading in the direction of Leuchars and I noted on another forum that there was one operating from Lossie last week and it headed back done south on Saturday. What was going on in Oban?

Just realised I saw the last Tristar leave Marshall's on Monday!!! Saw it from about a mile away and didn't realise the significance, but have just read the story in the Cambridge Evening News. Feel very sad to have seen it, but glad I didn't miss the end of an era there.

Chris

B-17 "Memphis Belle" (movie version 44-83546) just flew over my house in north Phoenix. Very impressive to hear those four radial engines roar. The Liberty foundation plane is visiting Deer Valley Airport today and tomorrow as part of their tour of the southwest United States. I have seen of heard their P-51 yet but it's here too. I think she will be in San Diego next weekend and then in Los Angeles.

• Like 1

My apartment is close to the city airport so often see smaller airliners coming in to land and taking off. No idea which ones they are, not big into civil aviation.

Military wise, occasionally get a pair of Mirage's flying overhead when I'm on my way to work.

Edited by BomberBrit

Thought I heard a very distant Seaking about 1930 (not uncommon to see HMS Gannet machines here) and went to the back door to see 3 RAF Puma's in tight trail formation approaching Glasgow airport from the W - NW, fairly high. Rather than descending into GLA, thinking they were off for a fuel stop, they descended a fair bit and made a big right hand circuit passing over our house in the process, then cut right across GLA airport and off to the SE now in a large echelon formation!

Really unusual visitors up here, I thought my day had just been made, but no.....the real star showed up about 5-10 mins later, a Chinook came in high from the NW, descended over Erskine Bridge and entered a big figure 8 holding circuit with loads of blade slap and passed right over the back garden heading towards the city....Beautiful!!! That thing sounds wicked, a proper chopper ;)

I'm assuming these were all the choppers from the JW exercise that's been running the past fortnight. They were based at Leuchars and had been involved in the "raid" on Kinloss this week where one of the Apaches had to make an emergency landing just outside Aberdeen.

Good to see some JW traffic over this way. There was an AAC Islander being refuelled by the Strathclyde UAS as I left work this afternoon and I did wonder if this had anything to do with the visit of the Irish PM.

All good stuff.....and we've still got the Emirates A380 visit to look forward to on Thurs!

Eng

• Like 1

Seagulls 50+ .............. the farmer is ploughing the field opposite the house. :fuhrer:

Wait till he goes home; then wash the car....................... again !!! :confused:

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

I was just minding my own business doing a little modeling, when I was disturbed by a loud noise.

I rushed outside and grabbed my camera, just in time to snap these.......

canberra%20pr9_01.jpg

It's a Canberra PR.9 - with an Aztec(?) photo-ship up from RAF Kemble - just down the road from me.

I assume it's a photo-op as the Canberra has been dormant at Kemble for a few years...

canberra%20pr9_02.jpg

canberra%20pr9_03.jpg

Exciting stuff ..... but back to the modeling.

Ken

• Like 4

Lots of RN Merlins, 771 sqd Sea Kings, Junglies, Chinooks, RN Lynx, the odd Wildcat and occasional Merlin still in primer, Apaches and Dassualt Falcons from FRADU. Once in a while a Hercules will go over so low the whole house shakes (love it). A couple of F-15Es not long ago (what a racket) and a Typhoon flying along the beach. Even had a Luftwaffe F4 that was doing something out off the coast. Quite a lot of civil tupperware.

Got a pair of Yaks practicing their display routine over the South Woodham Ferrers to Southend area.

They are doing loops in a pair, dogfighting and aerobatics as a pair.

They just flew right over the top, so my previous identification (Harvards) was incorrect. Obviously up from Duxford, practicing while there is blue sky.

Edited by Rhino

We sometimes get one 'buzzing' around us down here near RAF Brize Norton. I have a feeling that it is still being used for parachuting somewhere around the Cotswolds.

There was also the BIG Antonov in Brize this morning but I seemed to have missed it leave later in the day. Anyone have news about this one? Makes the Tristars and C-17s look minute.......

Hutch

Didn`t the Skyan replace the balloon jump? I think that they are flown by Hunting Aviation and are contracted to drop lads on the Jumps Course at Brize onto Weston on the Green for their first jump before moing onto Herks. Apparently it is cheaper than using the old balloon?

Cheers

Tony

Got a pair of Yaks practicing their display routine over the South Woodham Ferrers to Southend area.

They are doing loops in a pair, dogfighting and aerobatics as a pair.

They just flew right over the top, so my previous identification (Harvards) was incorrect. Obviously up from Duxford, practicing while there is blue sky.

I used to live in South Woodham Ferrers when I worked at the zoo there. Always pleased me at the number of cool aircraft flying over the area. I remember the Barn Owl getting really distracted by a low flying group of helicopters (Beyond the really distinguishable ones such as the Chinook and Apache I can't distinguish helicopters at all so no idea what they were other than being military) and refusing the fly for me :)

My highlight was a De Havilland Vampire flying low overhead. Brought a smile to my face :P