Bomb colours

spitfire

OK, what colour should I paint the bombs on this one, Italian operated Ju 87B (20th Century Toys), however I am using the kit bombs which are German, any ideas ?

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Thanks for that, I did a search and guess what, it's not that simple, there were different colours for different bombs, types, weights etc.

This is one of the titbits that I found on my travels.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/septem...cal_ps48014.php

In the end I painted the big one RLM 65 and the little ones RLM 71.

Cheers

Den

You are perfectly right, had a quick look at volume two of Merrick's "Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945" (about which I had not thought at first- guess I'm getting old...) and he also mentions buff and Feldgrau for the colours, as well as blue. He states that "The SC 50 appeared in buff as well as dark green. The SC 250 appeared in field grey for the weapons fitted with the Stabo device (...) or dark green. The SC 500 appeared in a buff colour"

The bombs on the Ju 87 would be a dark color (dark green or gray). Going through all my references, if one were to make a generalization (and there are dangers in that) if the bomb had had the fins at the end in the "box shape' (when looked at from the fin end), generally it would be dark. Those with the ring around the fins would be light. These were generally the largest bombs and carried externally on bombers. Thus, they would be light so as not to compromise the underside camouflage.

Then again, depending on the situation, the bomb could be field painted for camouflage reasons. A light colored bomb painted black for night operations when carried under a bomber with black undersides. Or white on the Eastern Front during winter when carried on a Ju 87 in white distemper.

Edited by Steven Eisenman

Thanks for that, I did a search and guess what, it's not that simple, there were different colours for different bombs, types, weights etc.

This is one of the titbits that I found on my travels.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/septem...cal_ps48014.php

In the end I painted the big one RLM 65 and the little ones RLM 71.

Cheers

Den

Brilliant!!! I've been looking for some bomb decals for ages!!! I've just ordered both the german and US Bomb decals. Thanks!!! :speak_cool:

Edited by timbo33