WNW 1:32 scale SE.5a

beeza1

Adding to the ever growing list of SE.5a builds I have decided to submit my build.

The SE.5a is the 5th Wingnuts kit for me, I have completed the Junkers, Sopwith Pup, Bristol and the LVG, all beautiful kits.

These photos show what I have done so far. I added fuselage frame bracing wires using 0.1mm smoke coloured mono with 0.3mm brass ends drilled out to 0.2mm to make threading the mono a little easier. The control cables are 0.12mm mono with added turnbuckles. Wingnuts did not supply the starting magneto so I made one along with the starting magneto winding handle. I hollowed out the pistol box just to give it a bit of depth. All the timber is done using Gunze paints as a base and oil paints over top for the wood grain, it's all finished with Humbrol Satin Cote clear. Because of the lack of detail on the fin and rudder I will be replacing them with the Pheon resin update set, this will greatly enhance the look of the model. The last photo shows the magneto winding hadle I made using 0.5mm, 0.4mm and 0.3mm brass tube.

A full build log of this model can be found on my web site, it is a build in progress so more will be added as the build advances.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Des

SE.5a%20x%2010.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2013.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2015.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2021.jpg

Edited by beeza1

its a really nice kit this. i got one when they first came out and got it about half built when i saw WNW were going to release a photo etch rigging set so its on hold until that is released.

your wood grain looks very convincing

• Like 1

Hi T-Tango.

I have been working on the SE.5a for about a month on and off.

I've been held up waiting for a new punch set to arrive from the States, that's why the instruments dials are not on yet, and that is stopping me advancing any further on the fuselage, one thing holds up the whole show.......

In the mean time, I've been working on the engine, I am replacing all the plastic plumbing and fitting copper wire, looks more the part I think, I am also fitting hose clamps to all the connections. I have also made four priming taps to sit on top of the manifold.

Des.

Edited by beeza1

I will be following this with interest, I was thinking of getting one of these myself, but as I've just finished the Roden SE5a Viper I went for the Pup, I will probably get the WNW 5a a bit later. It won't turn out as good as yours though. :confused:

Hi T-Tango

I built the Roden SE.5a some time ago and was very impressed with the kit, the engine detail is as good as the Wingnut kit, both engines lend themselves to super detailing.

I'm a little disappointed with the lack of detail on the fin and rudder of the Wingnut SE.5a, I will be adding the Pheon up-date set.

The instrument panel on this kit is very good and in my opinion does not need the Eduard PE set, but that is just my preference.

On my web site I have started the complete build of the Hispano Suiza engine, I am adding a lot of detail so it will be all covered on my site.

I'm sure your build will be as good or even better than mine, I am no expert, just an average modeller who thoroughly enjoys the hobby, I do it because I love WW1 aircraft.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your build soon

Des.

Edited by beeza1

Hi T-Tango

I built the Roden SE.5a some time ago and was very impressed with the kit, the engine detail is as good as the Wingnut kit, both engines lend themselves to super detailing.

I'm a little disappointed with the lack of detail on the fin and rudder of the Wingnut SE.5a, I will be adding the Pheon up-date set.

The instrument panel on this kit is very good and in my opinion does not need the Eduard PE set, but that is just my preference.

On my web site I have started the complete build of the Hispano Suiza engine, I am adding a lot of detail so it will be all covered on my site.

I'm sure your build will be as good or even better than mine, I am no expert, just an average modeller who thoroughly enjoys the hobby, I do it because I love WW1 aircraft.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your build soon

Des.

I just have to complete my Hobby Craft Camel for the Great War GB then I will be on to the WNW Pup next, so I could be calling on you for help, If thats OK with you?

I just have to complete my Hobby Craft Camel for the Great War GB then I will be on to the WNW Pup next, so I could be calling on you for help, If thats OK with you?

By all means, I will help where ever I can, it will be a pleasure.

Des.

www.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Here are some photos of a trial fit of the unfinished engine into the fuselage, I still need to do the spark plugs and leads.

Once the instrument panel is finished I will be able to close the fuselage completely.

I will be displaying this model with the engine cowls off.

Des.

Visit My Website for a full build log of this kit and how I detailed the engine

SE.5a%20x%2031.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2029.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2030.jpg

Here are three photos of the engine with the spark plugs fitted, the ignition lead tubes and all the ignition leads running from the plugs to the magneto's. The centre manifold assembly is also fitted, I made a butterfly valve and fitted it in the carby intake. I just need to complete the plumbing on the bottom of the engine.

Des.

For a full build log of this engine please go to my website.

Hispano%20x%2028.jpg

Hispano%20x%2026.jpg

Hispano%20x%2025.jpg

Your engine is a real "treat".... very nice indeed, an inspiration,,!!!!!!

Cheers,

ggc

• 2 weeks later...

Another progress up-date on the 5a.

Most of the painting had now been completed, the decals are fitted and the entire model has been clear coated using Humbrol Matt Cote (absolutely brilliant stuff).

I have used Pheon Models decals for this build, the decals are very thin, easy to manage, adhere well and conform to odd shapes quite readily, thanks Rowan.

The scheme I chose is;

F5910 41 Sqn, Conteville, France. August 1918. Capt. W. G. Claxton

The replacement fin and rudder by Brian Fawcett certainly improves the overall appearance of the model, the lack of detail on these two parts by Wingnuts has been overcome by the use of Brians resin pieces. He has provided very crisp detail and thin section parts, thanks Brian.

The 2nd and 3rd photo shows the engine and radiator fitted, the brass on the radiator enhances the brass and copper on the engine. Brass and copper are very hard to emulate in paint so I prefer to add the real thing where possible. I still need to add fuel lines, throttle linkages and electrical wiring from the firewall to the engine.

Des.

A full build log can be found on my site as well how I detailed the engine.

SE.5a%20x%2061.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2064.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2065.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally finished the SE.5a, my 5th completed Wingnut kit.

It was a pleasure building this kit, I encountered no major problems throughout the entire build, Wingnuts have to be congratulated for producing such a wonderful kit.

The addition of the Brian Fawcett fin and rudder set plus the use of Pheon Models decals certainly add to the overall appearance of the model.

I hope the following photos do justice for this great aeroplane.

Des.

SE%20x%2015.jpg

SE%20x%203.jpg

SE.5a%20x%2094.jpg

SE%20x%201.jpg

SE%20x%2014.jpg

SE%20x%2010.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...