Aircraft Weapons Set C

Aircraft Weapons Set C

1:48 Hasegawa

boxtop.jpg

This is by no means a new release, but weapons sets are always useful when choosing a loadout for your aircraft that isn't included in the original stores provided with the kit.

Hasegawa have a range of sets to populate your empty pylons, with sets A-C being primarily aimed at the US military aircraft modeller. Of course the US supplies weapons systems around the world, so these sets are of wider interest to the modeller of cold war and modern military aircraft of many nations.

The box contains 4 sprues of grey plastic, a small clear sprue containing a number of hemispherical seeker heads, and a rather colourful decals sheet to deck out your painted weapons.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

Two each of the A and B sprues are included, allowing you to build the following impressive list of munitions:

4 x AIM-4B Sidewinder

4 x AIM-9D Sidewinder

4 x AIM-9E Sidewinder

4 x AIM-9J Sidewinder

4 x AIM-9L Sidewinder

4 x AIM-7F Sparrow

4 x AIM-4D Falcon

4 x AIM-4G Falcon

2 x AGM-45 Shrike (with adapter)

6 x AGM-65 Maverick (with clear seeker head)

2 x LAU-88A triple rail for Maverick

2 x AGM-78 Standard (with adapter)

2 x AGM-88 HARM (with adapter)

2 x SUU-23A 20mm gun pod

2 x HIPEG 20mm gun pod

2 x GPU-5/A gun pod (GEPOD 30)

8 x sway brace fittings for F-4 C/D/E/EJ/F/G inner pylon

To the rear of the instructions is a decaling diagram with a short paragraph giving brief details of the weapon, which may prove educational to a weapons numpty like myself. Equally, simply typing in the weapon's designation into Wikipedia can provide much more detail than the instructions, but I suspect that this set was first designed before the internet became ubiquitous.

The decal sheet contains lots of stencil data for the weapons, color bands designating the weapon's status (inert, live etc.), and some large GE designs for the GAU-5/A. Some colourful shark mouth decals for the SUU-23A complete this lively sheet, which has good register and good color density. The carrier film seems a little large on some of the smaller decals, but a combination of trimming and decal setting solution should reduce its prominence.

decals.jpg

Conclusion

Essential if you're short of weapons for your latest creation or next project, and detail is good throughout, while the decals add that extra bit of realism. There is a little flash here and there, but nothing that will cause any problems.

Review sample courtesy of logo.jpg UK distributors for logo.jpg

I keep meaning to get one or two of these sets. There is a set D as well, with laser guided munitions and targeting pods.

Oh, there are LOADS of sets. I'll try & get hold of a few more to review to encourage you to buy some ;)

Oh, there are LOADS of sets. I'll try & get hold of a few more to review to encourage you to buy some ;)

Oh, I didn't need any more encouragement just bought sets A and D. I see Trumpy have done a 1/32 weapon set. I wouldn't mind seeing a review of that.

These sets do go back some, so they don't always come up to current moulding standards (and you can tell how dated they are by that GAU-5/A pod!). But they are still mostly very good. I have found, though, that the AIM-4s are a bit undersized.

Like all Hasegawa stuff the price has shot up of late, but quite a few appear on eBay at much more reasonable rates. The only practical difference is that the decals are likely to have gone off a bit. One of the sets (I think it's D) is more modern than the original releases, being full of JDAMs and stuff. Can't remember if this makes the original Set D a rarity or if they deliberately left a gap in the series.

One of the sets (I think it's D) is more modern than the original releases, being full of JDAMs and stuff. Can't remember if this makes the original Set D a rarity or if they deliberately left a gap in the series.

Weapons sets A, B, and C appeared in the late 80's. There's only been one set D which didn't come along till much later. It contains Lantirn targeting and Nav pods and pylons for the F-15/16, GBU-10/12/16/24/31, Harpoon, Skipper and ACMI pods.

You've done it now Mike. You've used the Loadout word. Hell shall unleash all it's fury upon you! :devil:

I'm waiting for Dave to come round & beat me up :unsure: