hawk t1's (loads done more to come)

Mark M

yes ive bookmarked Jasmans threads, his an anthony robertson? 's builds are what started me off, so im mixing hawks with 1/48 gulf tonkas

How about a Saudi Mk 65 as a cross-over then? I've read they were on stand-by for air defence duty during the Gulf War but I've never seen any pictures of them carrying a warload.

How about a Saudi Mk 65 as a cross-over then? I've read they were on stand-by for air defence duty during the Gulf War but I've never seen any pictures of them carrying a warload.

hmmm, now theres a thought.. so the normal scheem loaded to the brim with sidwinders and a gun pod

please plase dont give me any more ideas, i really do need to win the lottery to give me cash to buy them and to leace my job, to have time to make them all

You think you have a problem? I have a list of 45 different Hawk schemes I want to build and I already have decals for half of them - in 1/48th! I've only got 5 1/48 Airfix Hawks so far so this could get expensive.

yes ive bookmarked Jasmans threads, his an anthony robertson? 's builds are what started me off, so im mixing hawks with 1/48 gulf tonkas

Hi

I must admit, when i started building Hawks, i was only going to do a couple but then i found the kits go together so well and there are so many different decal options out there that i've now got 14 completed ones and 26 in the stash (Mainly Revell and Airfix, but with the odd Italeri and Fujimi one hidden away)! and thats just in 1/72 scale.

Some of the kits themselves give some nice decals, for example this Airfix one

P1000622.jpg

had this in it giving options for not only the Red Arrows, but an all black 208 sqn machine and a 74 sqn bird in grey with a black tail with a tigers head on

P1000641.jpg

Have fun building them and show us lots of piccies!

Antony

im sure there will be more questions, im on nights tonight so ill make a list of the ones i want to do, ive has some kits arrive today so ill make a start on tuesday after nights

thanks too all of you

by the way what black do you all use?

Edited by markmarples

If you go on Hannant's site, type BAe Hawk into their search box and specify 1/72 scale, there are 2 pages of goodies there Hawk related :) Just be aware that the Model Alliance sheets for various Hawks don't tend to have stencilling in them, (their ploy to get you to buy their specific Hawk Stencilling sheet!), but the Xtardecal and Modeldecal ones do. I am getting 2 or 3 sets of most of the decals to cater for the stencilling. The Red Arrows decals in the Airfix kit I recommend applying 2 lots to achieve a better 'whiteness'. I think I will also have to get several Revell (Italeri) Hawks too as they have the 'Red Arrows 2000' markings on them, and they are cheaper than the Airfix offering... at the moment anyway!

Nice to know I'm not the only one mad enough to make lots of em! :)

If you go on Hannant's site, type BAe Hawk into their search box and specify 1/72 scale, there are 2 pages of goodies there Hawk related :) Just be aware that the Model Alliance sheets for various Hawks don't tend to have stencilling in them, (their ploy to get you to buy their specific Hawk Stencilling sheet!), but the Xtardecal and Modeldecal ones do. I am getting 2 or 3 sets of most of the decals to cater for the stencilling. The Red Arrows decals in the Airfix kit I recommend applying 2 lots to achieve a better 'whiteness'. I think I will also have to get several Revell (Italeri) Hawks too as they have the 'Red Arrows 2000' markings on them, and they are cheaper than the Airfix offering... at the moment anyway!

Nice to know I'm not the only one mad enough to make lots of em! :)

Actually that is not correct!

The MA series which covers many aircraft of the same type, i.e. Hawk, Tornado etc generally do not carry stencils as we try to get as many options as possible on the sheet. However, the current MAS series of special schemes do carry full and up-to-date stencils.

Regards

Gary

Actually that is not correct!

The MA series which covers many aircraft of the same type, i.e. Hawk, Tornado etc generally do not carry stencils as we try to get as many options as possible on the sheet. However, the current MAS series of special schemes do carry full and up-to-date stencils.

Regards

Gary

I stand corrected :) My apologies :banghead: Well I only have the Hawk ones so can only comment on those, and yes you are right, the special schemes do have stencilling - my goof :) I also have the RAF BAe Hawks sheet, Part 1 (I made the ASTRA Hawk from it), so I assume there is/was/will be a Part 2?

I like the look of the AIRframe Hawk too! Looking forward to seeing this year's scheme on the shelf!

Some of the kits themselves give some nice decals, for example this Airfix one

had this in it giving options for not only the Red Arrows, but an all black 208 sqn machine and a 74 sqn bird in grey with a black tail with a tigers head on

P1000641.jpg

Antony

Hi Antony,

The markings for the 74 Sqn grey jet with the black tail wouldn't happen to be for XX350 "TC" would they? I've been trying to find decals for this particular Hawk for a long, long time......

Cheers,

Doug

Hi Antony,

The markings for the 74 Sqn grey jet with the black tail wouldn't happen to be for XX350 "TC" would they? I've been trying to find decals for this particular Hawk for a long, long time......

Cheers,

Doug

hawks030.jpg

yup :)

Interestingly another difference is listed in "Hawk Comes of Age" beween RAF and export Hawks: a different tailcone shape. Yet when I compared pictures of a saudi plane (a T.60 series) with a RAF T.1 these looked exactly the same. I wonder if the books refer to the original shorter rear fin fillet and the longer one used later. This however appears on most RAF hawks too.

Hi Antony,

Cheers,

Doug

Yes they are Doug, have sent you a PM

Antony

you guys are hawk guru's

anyway these are the first 5 ive decided to make, what do you think of the choices

xx283.jpg

xx307.jpg

xx318.jpg

xx172a.jpg

xx172b.jpg

xx164.jpg

Good choice! I have made them all but I did the dragon in the black scheme, and XX164 without the blue :)

That's why I love Hawks - no shortage of schemes B)

thanks JAS

ive just preordered the MA special edition kit aswell, £20 all in including p&p so you get

BAE Systems Hawk T.1A - 4 FTS 50th Anniversary Special

Airfix 1/72 Scale Hawk T.1A

Model Alliance MA-200 1/72 Scale Decal Sheet

AIRFrame Extra CS-103 Martin Baker Mk.10 Ejection Seats

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk/afa00...9d7fd5c82b565f4

omg omg

there are / were 185 hawk t1/1a's in RAF service!!!!! and i can only find complete decals for 52 aircraft, so the rest will have to be made from bits and bobs (like im ever going to do them all) strangleycertain airframes appear several times in many scheems on sheets i.e. xx289 i ave found it on 6 sheets in 4 different schemes!

i think the way forward is do the special schemes and then fill in the gaps, with plain aircraft, using the generic sheets from ally cat and odds and sods left over from the other sheets

this is going to cost a fortune let alone the space to display them....

at £5 a kit...... (if i can find them at that price)

plus decals........

postage

paint and sticky stuff

omg!

we are talking ££££££££££££2000£££££££££££££

omg omg

there are / were 185 hawk t1/1a's in RAF service!!!!! and i can only find complete decals for 52 aircraft, so the rest will have to be made from bits and bobs (like im ever going to do them all) strangleycertain airframes appear several times in many scheems on sheets i.e. xx289 i ave found it on 6 sheets in 4 different schemes!

i think the way forward is do the special schemes and then fill in the gaps, with plain aircraft, using the generic sheets from ally cat and odds and sods left over from the other sheets

this is going to cost a fortune let alone the space to display them....

at £5 a kit...... (if i can find them at that price)

plus decals........

postage

paint and sticky stuff

omg!

we are talking ££££££££££££2000£££££££££££££

yup that's pretty much what I'm doing, using what's available already, then I think I can use the serial decals for the 'in betweeners' by cutting them up and making new ones. There should be enough badges and squadron markings around to do them all. The only problem (for me) would be spending ages making one, finishing it and then seeing it become the next year's display aircraft! That's why I have a list that I can put on the wall to try to plan out what will be which colour.

Don't forget Airfix are bringing out another T1 sometime this year, which I presume will have a black scheme and one or two foreigners.. or 3 British ones and release another boxing sometime for foreign users? Anyway, hopefully it will have all the stencilling so that may cut down on aftermarket sheets a bit, but it will be £8.

If I got 185 Red Arrows Hawks at £6 that will cost me £1110.. but I am mad enough that if I had that money in the piggy bank I'd probably order all of them at once.. just to see the box, and the poor postman with a hernia.... :banghead:

as a quick note, the pylons from the other hawk fit (black grey display model) do fit the reds kit, now if i can use the rocket pods from the airfix harrier???

as a quick note, the pylons from the other hawk fit (black grey display model) do fit the reds kit, now if i can use the rocket pods from the airfix harrier???

I used the two pylons from an earlier red arrows Airfix release, and the two rocket pods from that kit. The bombs in that kit are very good indeed, and I have it in mind to do XX156 with the 4 pylons with bombs on some time.

ok, the first 2 on the production line

a word of warning, anyone making xx172 in black with red draggon, the MA decals are brittle and thin and WILL crack and break no matter what you do, i surgest you cut them and put them on piece by piece, i cut the dragon on the second side into 4 pieces and found it a lot easier to put on but it still broke, the second warning it that this sheet does not have any stencil data and you will have to buy there other sheet or rob them from other kits all in all im not impressed with this sheet at all, it is not up to the other sheets they make

anyway

the xtradecal sheet is fab and goes on like a dream, im part way through both allowing one to settle while i do the other, ive sealed each bit with klear allong the way allowing it to dry before moving on, i thought id do all the big bits first

100_2539.jpg

100_2540.jpg

100_2541.jpg

Looking good, despite the problems with the dragon decals!

What black did you use?

Antony

i used the xtraclyic night black, but i think i have a doggy one it took 2 and a half hours and a hairdryer to dry, normally it takes about 10mins, then i gave the whole aircraft 2 coats of Klear before decaling, and more klear after each piece of decal so i didnt ruin them as i go along, it will be a long process but will be worth it