Airfix 1/350 Illustrious Build

Hell's teeth Dan. Most impressive!!!!!!!

You must have to hold those pretty close to be able to see what you're doing.

Mind you dont end up sticking them to your conk.

Seaking looks well by the way.

Chris.

• 1 month later...
Just got my Lusty last week and judging the kit with the details you are adding, I will be placing my WEM order SOON! Well done on the Sea King Dan. Hope you are felling better.

Mike

Cheers Mike, :frantic: Yeah the WEM stuff is the way to go mate, it really makes the kit to be honest, hard work but well worth it :thumbsup2:

Some of the other guys on the forum are using it on their builds and they are also looking really good.

R's

Dan

• 11 months later...

Hi all.

This is my 1st post so please excuse me if I ruffle any feather's as I have been lurking for some time and as a result have decided that that my modelling skill's ( after 50 yr's or so ) have been sadly lacking !!!!

I have been mostly concentrating on 1/48 and 1/32 scale modern jet aircraft as well as the obligatory spitfire in both scale's . I also have a half finished USS Constellation 1/96 ( I think ) .

My reason for posting here is that I have recently aquired HMS Illustrious ( as well as HMS Trafalgar and a 1/32 Red Arrow's Hawk ) after many hour's of browsing this site and was following this build keenly and really need to know what happen's next ?

Apoligies in advance if I have missed something .

Regard's John

Hi all.

This is my 1st post so please excuse me if I ruffle any feather's as I have been lurking for some time and as a result have decided that that my modelling skill's ( after 50 yr's or so ) have been sadly lacking !!!!

I have been mostly concentrating on 1/48 and 1/32 scale modern jet aircraft as well as the obligatory spitfire in both scale's . I also have a half finished USS Constellation 1/96 ( I think ) .

My reason for posting here is that I have recently aquired HMS Illustrious ( as well as HMS Trafalgar and a 1/32 Red Arrow's Hawk ) after many hour's of browsing this site and was following this build keenly and really need to know what happen's next ?

Apoligies in advance if I have missed something .

Regard's John

Hi John

Dan hasn't been able to do anything on this kit for a while due to work comittments. I'm sure, once he gets things sorted then he'll get back to building. If you have any questions on the Lusty then feel free to ask them in the maritime general discussion area.

• 1 year later...

I've been following this build avidly. Just got my Lusty, the 'Gift Pack' one and, having watched this topic and others on the net I was very worried about warping etc. Cut the main hull parts out and stuck them together with masking tape. The sides were VERY warped but when I had the taping finished, it all seemed to pull together very well, very surprised! No big gap or warpage evident under the ski jump or at the back. Thank god for small mercies eh?

Keep it going that man, your doing a wonderful job> :thumbsup:

Cheers All,

I'd overdosed on the PE aspect of this build, the WEM set is really good but as I have found it requires

A lot of concentration, its on hold for the moment but I reckon it could commence soon ish :-)

I'm currently away on holiday but will be back in the UK next week, should get my Stuart build fininshed

Up and then I'll see what mood I'm in for carrying on with this small project.

Cheers from Florida ....

Dan

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi Dads203,

The build is looking good. Have you moticed the pic of Ark Royal shows the two larger funnels on the stack port side, yet the airfix kit positions them on the Illustrious centrally and they look oversize as they fill the space. I have just made an attempt to replicate the detail and noticed it. Annoyingly I have glued them in and am now considering grinding them out and replacing with smaller diameter tube. Suspect Illustrious's funnels matched Ark Royal? I may try to live with it...

cheers

Undecided Rob