A-1 Skyraider

Plumbum

I am building a USN Viet Nam era Skyraider and have a lot of

5" HVAR rockets left over from a Panther build. Does anyone know

if they were used in the Viet Nam conflict? I have 6 , so it

would be 3 on each wing then I guess I could put 3 500 lb

bombs on the other pylons. Thanks.---John

Flypast or Aeroplane this month has a lot of coverage of the skyraider, so 20 mins standing in WH Smiths might be on the cards ;)

arh a man after my own heart, glad to see its not just me. Flypast can be a pain and sealed in plastic sometimes!

Juliebn

I am building a USN Viet Nam era Skyraider and have a lot of

5" HVAR rockets left over from a Panther build. Does anyone know

if they were used in the Viet Nam conflict? I have 6 , so it

would be 3 on each wing then I guess I could put 3 500 lb

bombs on the other pylons. Thanks.---John

John, Give me an email at,

[email protected]

Got some info can send you that might help....

Colin

Just had a look at my copy of Osprey's "US Navy A-1 Skyraider Units of the Vietnam War".

At the top of page 34 there is a picture of a Skyraider firing rockets with the caption:

"An A-1J from VA-152 launches two five-inch rockets at a target just off the North Vietnamese coast in 1965. Rockets were used extensively by US Navy 'Spads' for flak suppression, close air support, attacking patrol boats and waterborne logistic craft and covering downed air crews during SAR/RESCAP missions".

I don't know for absolute certain whether the US Navy ever used any 5-inch rockets other than the HVAR, but from that I think it's pretty safe to assume that 5-inch HVAR was commonly used by Navy Skyraiders in Vietnam.

(Also Tamiya's 1/48 US Navy Skyraider includes a load of 5-inch HVARs and all of the decals in the box are for Navy aircraft from 1964 onward, which implies that Tamiya would appear to agree that the rockets are right for that period for Navy Skyraiders).

will you be adding a toilet to the pylons?

recall seeing a skyraider off of a carrier carrying a ceramic toilet encased in a steel frame attached to one of the pylons !!!!

i.i.r.c apparently it was used as ballast due to a lack of rockets on board

might be worth thinking about,interesting talking point!!

Might Syraiders have used the 4 shot Zuni pods(these were 5 inch rockets), every other Navy aircraft - Corsairs, Crusaders, Intruders, Phantoms and Syhawks did.

I'm sure Hasegawa issued a ltd edition kit with the toilet bomb, I think it was their re-issue of the Monogram kit

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

The Navy skyraider is rather hard to find pictures of "Bombed up"

The 5 In HVAR rocket where mainly used during the Korean War

I have seen one picture of a Vietnam Navy A-1 with HVAR rockets, but only one rocket, the rest of the pylons where filled with bombs, overall they flew with Iron bombs, a mix of WW 2 style bombs and more modern Mk 82 series, they also used 19 shot 2.75 In LAU 3 and 4 shot 5 In Lau 10 (Zuni) rockets as well

Look here:

http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/index.htm

Might Syraiders have used the 4 shot Zuni pods(these were 5 inch rockets), every other Navy aircraft - Corsairs, Crusaders, Intruders, Phantoms and Syhawks did.

I'm sure Hasegawa issued a ltd edition kit with that load, I think it was their re-issue of the Monogram kit

Joel

Edited by Bo hermansen