Royal Navy Hunter

pigsty

The thread that just won't lie down and die ...

Huzzah, I've secured a Flightpath GA.Mk.11 (and the rest) set. (I tried for a Fisher conversion but it was a bit too rich for my wallet.) I'm going to build it, eventually, in the immortal scheme of extra dark sea grey over white. Can anyone make any suggestions as to a source of 1/32 decals? Is a special set available, or would it be possible to knock the markings together from generic roundels, code letters etc? I have the Revell kit so I'm assuming that (i) many things such as warning triangles and stencils can be used, but also (ii) the roundels, for instance, will lack a necessary white border.

The thread that just won't lie down and die ...

Huzzah, I've secured a Flightpath GA.Mk.11 (and the rest) set. (I tried for a Fisher conversion but it was a bit too rich for my wallet.) I'm going to build it, eventually, in the immortal scheme of extra dark sea grey over white. Can anyone make any suggestions as to a source of 1/32 decals? Is a special set available, or would it be possible to knock the markings together from generic roundels, code letters etc? I have the Revell kit so I'm assuming that (i) many things such as warning triangles and stencils can be used, but also (ii) the roundels, for instance, will lack a necessary white border.

Why would you want white-bordered roundels ?  As far as I'm aware the GA11 used normal D-type roundels in the EDSG/white scheme .

Why would you want white-bordered roundels ? As far as I'm aware the GA11 used normal D-type roundels in the EDSG/white scheme .

Er ... coarse assumption, I suppose! Oh well, that's handy - but the underlying question remains. FRADU or one of the other RN squadrons - were there ever any 1/32 decal sets?

I can't remember any 1/32 sheet for an FAA Hunter, but if you're building a FRADU aircraft then these didn't carry squadron markings, so you will just need generic letters and numbers for these. Xtradecals has 4" and 8" white and black numbers in 1/32 and these will sort the fuselage codes and a few other bits. The larger white numbers on the nose might be trickier. A look at some larger 1/48 number might bear fruits, for example numbers meant for 1/48 Canberras.

Of course the fact I can't remember any sheet does not mean that none has ever appeared...

Trouble is, I've just discovered 764 Sqn's markings, and they're rather nice ...
 How about a 764 aircraft with the white spine ? (WT809/696LM) There was a PR11 too (eg XF977/691 LM)

The 'Rough Diamonds' aerobatic team (738 Sqn) had at least one of their aircraft with a dayglo band on the nose (XE680/759BY)

Richard

The Echelon 32nd scale kit had a GA.11 option in the decal sheet and they were available seprately for a while. May be worth a post in the Wanted section as some of the gang has that option left.