How is a Model Kit made?

Leigh

I dont suppose you know what CAD system they use do you Jen? (please say Catia, please say Catia)

And why make the small detail parts by hand when all the parts can be solid modelled electronicly?

Is the new polisher 5 axis?

Is the Mould material to hard to be milled?

What is the capital of Peru?

Am I asking too many questions?

Cheers, Wayne

From memory Beryllium is just part of the process, the moulds are made from nickel-chrome steel.

Either way, the mould tools that the major kit companies make are designed to run for decades.

So there's not really a good excuse for the TSR-2 or the new Nimrod being limited run? Hmm....

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jonathan. I'd love to sit down and pick your brains over a pint or two one day.

Very informative Jen, and I'm surprised no one else has commented on the quote above :thumbsup:

Wasn't there a thread here somewhere that we all got rather excited when Jen first broke the news?

Nah, you want ProEngineer from PTC...

Acctualy, if truth be told, I want Vicky Pendleton... :wub:

SISkit.jpg

Well, every other thread seems to be heading the same way this week :shrug:

Edited by Col.

• 1 month later...

Beryllium copper is some strange stuff; when heated (a lot) it turns very soft, even liquid, and moulds were made by the simple process of pushing a steel master into the copper, then allowing it to cool. Unfortunately machining the copper gives off nasty fumes, and it's been banned in most major industrial countries (this is why some Tamiya, and Airfix, moulds were made in Korea, which doesn't, or didn't, have the same H & S concerns.) Trevor Snowden told me of his surprise, at seeing an operative in a Korean factory, wearing open-toed sandals, and no face-mask, carrying a ladle filled with liquid copper.

Some a/c instruments, that I worked on, had pivots made of beryllium copper, and, even after 15 years use, there was no wear, or distortion, on the main body, just on the chromed steel sleeving.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Acctualy, if truth be told, I want Vicky Pendleton... :wub:

Careful Col., That bit of open lust could be miscombuberated, Some may think you're a borderline perv :hmmm::rolleyes:

Very cool description Jen

So, at the risk of creating a flap, where does the Trumpeter Rivet man and clear parts guy come in???? :) as we all know that those issues have created quite a stir since Trumpy has become a power player.

Please note, this is total sarcasm.

Mike

He used to work at Matchbox.

Nicosia - Cyprus. They're running the shop down and have quite a good discount on most of the Tamiya kits. Also have some oop Airfix stuff like 1/72 Buccaneers, Rotodyne, Belvedere, 1/48 Lightning, plus some Heller and Academy ships and aircraft.

Best

Rich

Nicosia - Cyprus. They're running the shop down and have quite a good discount on most of the Tamiya kits. Also have some oop Airfix stuff like 1/72 Buccaneers, Rotodyne, Belvedere, 1/48 Lightning, plus some Heller and Academy ships and aircraft.

Best

Rich

That's a real shame it's closing down :crying: - I was looking forward to having a look around again when we come to Cyprus next year to visit the family.

Karl

Edited by Karl

• 1 month later...