How on earth would I go about pricing these kits?

Neilroy

Good afternoon all, and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place,

I had some vague memories of my dad having boxes of unmade kits (like father, like son..) stashed away in the cupboards at home. So, whilst back visiting my parents this weekend I decided to investigate, and unearthed a bit of a treasure trove! It was a bit of a time warp, like walking into a 70s/80s model shop - they're all complete, will most of the boxes in mint condition bar a few that have been squished in storage.

I catalogued them, with the results displayed below. I think there may be a pretty penny's worth but I was wondering if I could tap the collective knowledge on whether there are any rarities in there, and get an honest opinion how much they'd be worth. My dad will never build them and its likely I wont as the'yre all 1/72 and 1/100, neither of which is my preferred scale. I've seen Frog Sea Vixens go on ebay for around £30 before which sounds promising.

Just a note to say that these aren't for sale at the moment, so I'd be looking for advice rather than offers. Many thanks, Neil.

The list is as follows:

Make Serial Scale Model Details Quantity Notes

Matchbox Pk-406 72 Tomcat F-14A 1 '3 colour kit'

Matchbox Pk-404 72 Phantom F-4M/K 2 '3 colour kit'

Matchbox Pk-106 72 Buccaneer S2B 2 '3 colour kit'

Matchbox Pk-37 72 Sea Harrier FRS1 2 1x sealed in cellophane

Matchbox Pk-31 72 P-40N Warhawk 1

Frog F271 72 A-4 Skyhawk 2

Frog F228 72 Fairey Gannet Mk.1/Mk.4 2 1 x old red boxing

Frog F154 72 Sea Fury X 2 Sealed in cellophane, 1 box crushed

Frog F295 72 Sea Venom FAW Mk.21/53 2

Frog F253 72 D.H Sea Venom 1 Bagged with card header

Frog F238 72 Buccaneer Mk.2A/50 2 1x sealed in cellophane

Frog F247 72 Wessex Mk.1/Mk.31 2

Novo F247 72 Wessex Mk.1/Mk.31 1 Bagged with card header

Frog F204 72 Hunter FGA.9 1

Frog F320 72 Hunter 1 Old red boxing

Frog F409 72 Sea Vixen FAW.2 2 1x box tatty

Frog F432 72 Wildcat Mk.IV 1

Frog F245F 72 F6F-3 Hellcat FMk.1 1

Frog F425 72 Corsair IV F4U-6 1

Novo F328 72 Hawker Sea Hawk 1

Novo F330 72 Supermarine Attacker 1

Tamiya Pa 1021 100 Buccaneer S.Mk.2 1

Tamiya Pa 1014 100 F-4K/M British Phantom II 2

Airfix 02065-3 72 UH-46 Sea Knight 1 Series 2

Airfix 02056-9 72 Westland Whirlwind 1 Series 2, helicopter not fighter

Airfix 03031-3 72 Grumman Duck J2F6 1

Hasegawa JS-082 72 P-2H Neptune (P2V-7) 1

Hasegawa JS-102 72 Grumman S2F-1 (S-2A) Tracker 1 Box a little squashed

Hasegawa JS-063 72 Martin SP-5B Marlin 1 Mint

..I tried copying and pasting that from an excel spreadsheet, it doesn't seem to be able to keep the table formatting. For clarity, each entry is listed in the following manner:

Make Serial Scale Model Quantity Notes

Thanks

You could also try www.kingkit.co.uk and see if he has any of the kits you list for sale, that will give you an idea of the current market values for them.

Troffa (in no way involved in the Kingkit operation)

I don't know about individual kits that you list there, but if you were looking for a job lot; try Pat of Collectakit. He does the show circuit and his for sale kits are all taken as job lots from around the country. Nice bloke aswell so you could trust his offer.

Steve.

I don't know about individual kits that you list there, but if you were looking for a job lot; try Pat of Collectakit. He does the show circuit and his for sale kits are all taken as job lots from around the country. Nice bloke aswell so you could trust his offer.

Steve.

By no means do I wish to say he's not a nice bloke, but he's in this business to make his living, & any offer he, or any other kit dealer, offers will be waaaay below what you could probably get by selling on e-bay or a forum such as this. It's obviously much easier to sell as a job lot to a dealer though! Just as an example, collectakit recently offered a mate of mine a trade of 6 1/48 models against an Airfix 1/24 scale Harrier he had for sale for, IIRC £30 - he offered a straight swap for the Harrier. Going by recent e-bay sales my mates kits would have fetched at least £200......

Just a heads up.

Keef

Another mob who might be interested is KitKrazy in Bexley. They're the ones whose stand at shows looks as though it's been bombed. No idea what they'd be like for price, but they seem straight enough.

Another mob who might be interested is KitKrazy in Bexley. They're the ones whose stand at shows looks as though it's been bombed.

He he, I think I've visited their stand at the MK show before - usually has a lot of kits forming tall and rather wobbly piles. I saw one unfortunate chap take a kit from the middle of a pile and break the fall of an Airfix Nimrod with his head!

I have to agree with Keef

I did the same here, and the seller would only pay me about 20 %, I got alot more from selling here, on Hyperscale and Arc

But bevare, use ebay, Kingkit and other secondhand palces and find a realistic price... the go 10-20 % below that

That how I got my 1/72 stash from 100 kits to 10

Bo

By no means do I wish to say he's not a nice bloke, but he's in this business to make his living, & any offer he, or any other kit dealer, offers will be waaaay below what you could probably get by selling on e-bay or a forum such as this. It's obviously much easier to sell as a job lot to a dealer though! Just as an example, collectakit recently offered a mate of mine a trade of 6 1/48 models against an Airfix 1/24 scale Harrier he had for sale for, IIRC £30 - he offered a straight swap for the Harrier. Going by recent e-bay sales my mates kits would have fetched at least £200......

Just a heads up.

Keef

If its the original white box editions, and not the later black box, or chinese white box, they would probably be worth a bit more as well.

In a lot of instances the kits listed are a bit antiquated, with better newer and more detailled kits now available on the same subject. That will have an effect on the price, though some kits may be collectable, and a lot will depend on the quality of the box/container.

I'd certainly look on E-bay to see how much these are going for. I tend to think that the prices buyers are willing to pay, are reasonably fair - if there's ararity there - someone will soon see it!!!

I'm no collector, but the 1/100th scale Tamiya kits kits may be fairly rare?

I was in a similar position a few years ago. The father of one of my daughter's friends died suddenly and I was offered his stash as the family had no idea of the value and just did not want to see it go to waste. Alas it was all 'armour', not my scene, but I reckoned it might be worth a bob or two so I sold it for them on E-Bay.

What I learned was that people seemed to wary of new sellers. There was hardly any interest in the first kit but once I got positive feedback the rest went with no trouble.

John

Edited by John R

I'm no collector, but the 1/100th scale Tamiya kits kits may be fairly rare?

The Bucc was re-issued a few years back. Antics in Cardiff still had one on the shelf fairly recently for around £7. I was watching Tamiya 1/100 kits on e-bay last year as I'd had a hankering to build some again (built most of them when I was a kid, & still have a half built Lightning F6 around somewhere!) & the Toom seemed to come up fairly frequently for around about £12-15 . Finally decided I had enough stuff I'd never build & didn't bid on any. The one kit I really wanted never appeared though - the Boeing-Vertol V-107 (aka Seaknight) in Pan-am markings. On the whole they're really nice little kits....

Keef

Get then on Ebay mate, if there are any rare ones you will soon know. Plus it's always fun to see 2 people in a bidding war who push the price right up. When I sold some kits the other week I listed them at a starting price that I wouldn't let them go for any less than, any more is a bonus. "that's how I does it" :mental:

Solid advice about going to eBay and selling individually, if you wish to max out on the value. However, you need to be aware that selling a large collection on eBay can be labour intensive. Placing the ads, taking the picture, getting post cost, packing up and of course dealing with customers all takes time. Of course eBay and Paypal take their cut as well so there are overheads.

But if your not bothered and drip feed them on over a period of time, you might have a bit of fun too.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Solid advice about going to eBay and selling individually, if you wish to max out on the value. However, you need to be aware that selling a large collection on eBay can be labour intensive. Placing the ads, taking the picture, getting post cost, packing up and of course dealing with customers all takes time. Of course eBay and Paypal take their cut as well so there are overheads.

But if your not bothered and drip feed them on over a period of time, you might have a bit of fun too.

Marty...

I have to agree with Marty, I've had a good look at your list, and although a interesting selection nothing really stands out as a must have classic, be they a nice list of models all the same ie No bond bugs or the like. Drip feeding is a better way, to go, as some of these kits could do very well with the wind behind them! If you list them over a period of time, you might get the same bidder bidding again, where as if you dumped 30 kits on all at the same time, the same bidder probably could not afford to bid to win them all in one go.

Also make refference to some older kits coming in the near future, to keep them hooked and keep checking your listings.

Dave

Edited by zero