Spitfire Mk I gun heating

Trubbie

I don't have (or can't find) a confirmatory drawing, but a mod, to fit a gun heating system, was introduced in May, 1938, so I'd say that they did. Certainly, there's a photo of K5054, from below, and the extractor cones are clearly visible.

Edgar

I don't have (or can't find) a confirmatory drawing, but a mod, to fit a gun heating system, was introduced in May, 1938, so I'd say that they did. Certainly, there's a photo of K5054, from below, and the extractor cones are clearly visible.

Edgar

Thank you very much Edgar. I'd say now that it's a safe bet.

Regards,

Trubbie

• 5 years later...

Here's a late entry!

I have been reading the 'Spitfire Story' by Alfred Price.

On the section of Spitfires into production, Alfred kind of points to the fact the by early 1939, ALL Spitfires were being delivered with gun heating.

Could that point to the fact that very early (19 Squadron) could be delivered without gun heating?

Would save me re-modelling the wing exhaust ducts, which, on the Revell MkII are a tad rubbish...

Thoughts?

But since 19 Squadron didn't receive any Spitfires until August '38, that doesn't help much. I believe that early examples were delivered without the gun heat, and had to be subsequently modified, but I don't have any specifics instantly to hand.

bob

Most if not all, of 19 sqn's Spitfires wer from the initial production batch, including K9795, which was the 9th production aircraft, so it is almost (!) certain that the gun heating system was absent.

However, many of these aircraft continued to see service through the battle and would have been modded during their lifetimes.

Edited by Kit builder

Hello everybody, I am modelling WZ-T an early spit with flat canopy and two blade prop seen in many pics. Since its correct serial is doubtful, it is impossible to know when it was produced.

What to do...? To leave or remove the scoops.....?

TIA

Maurizio

Don't be in too much of a hurry to take them off- I'd need to look for confirmation before I was confident. In May '39 (the "Press Day" photos) they are present on the ones where one can see. But the question remains about initial deliveries...

bob

mmmm,,,,

Found this now;

Early in the Spitfire's operational life a major problem became apparent; at altitudes above about 15,000 ft (4,572 m), any condensation could freeze in the guns. Because of this the system of gun heating first fitted to K5054 was introduced on the 61st production Mk I

That ties in with the dates in my book about the introduction of exhaust ducts at the same time as the upgrade to the 3 blade Dehavilland (The 77th Spitfire)

I am building K9795, the 9th Operational Spitfire, so, the exhaust ducts go....

Unless there is evidence that what I have found is untrue....