Buying H&S Evolution, but wich one

DarthCake

I'm considering buying a H&S Evolution for the more detail work on 1/72 and 1/48 WWII and jet camouflage schemes.

But i don't know which one i should take:

-Evolution (standard)

-Evolution Silverline

-Evolution Silverline FPC (ppl are not that happy with the FPC?)

As I'm looking to buy them in the Obeelisk shop here in Belgium, i can only choose the Two in One sets.

So, what needle/nozzle do i need? (is the 0.15 nozzle only usable with inks?)

-0,15-0,2

-0,15-0,4

-0,2-0,4 (probably best choice?)

-0,4-0,6 (probably not -_- )

I will keep my Badger 150 which is excellent for painting all the "not really fine" work.

And what should be the normal pressure needed for painting with the Evolution Silverline FPC in combination with a 0.4 nozzle?

Or should i consider the H&S Infinity ?

:rolleyes: Luxury problems ...

I bought the Standard Evolution from Paul at Little Cars at Telford last November and have been very pleased. I also bought an extra needle (0.2 -I think?). I've done both 1.72 and 1.48 scale aircraft with camouflage and I've found with both needles I can do the Camo freehand without masking.

The Evo is a good airbrush and comes apart very easily for cleaning. I was using a chepo Machine Mart made in China airbrush and wish I hadn't!

Here's a couple of examples

DSC09356.jpg

DSC08758.jpg

I've got the 2 in 1 with the .2 and .4 needles.

I can't imagine a better combo TBH

/\ What he said.

0.2 for the fine stuff, 0.4 for the broader coverage - pretty much covers everything I need in the hobby, and yes the cleanup is a doddle !

Thx for the input so far.

Do you all have the Evolution standard?

@BAC: that stripe camo in the last picture would be very tricky with my Badger 150 at scale 1/48. Nicely done ;) .

Edited by DarthCake

I'm considering buying a H&S Evolution for the more detail work on 1/72 and 1/48 WWII and jet camouflage schemes.

But i don't know which one i should take:

-Evolution (standard)

-Evolution Silverline

-Evolution Silverline FPC (ppl are not that happy with the FPC?)

As I'm looking to buy them in the Obeelisk shop here in Belgium, i can only choose the Two in One sets.

So, what needle/nozzle do i need? (is the 0.15 nozzle only usable with inks?)

-0,15-0,2

-0,15-0,4

-0,2-0,4 (probably best choice?)

-0,4-0,6 (probably not -_- )

I will keep my Badger 150 which is excellent for painting all the "not really fine" work.

And what should be the normal pressure needed for painting with the Evolution Silverline FPC in combination with a 0.4 nozzle?

Or should i consider the H&S Infinity ?

:rolleyes: Luxury problems ...

If you have a brush for larger areas then I would go for the Evolution Solo(£85) or Evolution Silverline Solo(£90).

This gives you the small paint cup and the 0.2mm nozzle set.

If you find you need the finer 0.15mm nozzle then you only have to change the needle and nozzle, the aircap is the same for both sizes.

The 0.15mm nozzle is OK for normal acrylic and enamel modelling paints that I know about.

And if you want a larger nozzle then you can buy the 0.4mm set later on.

For 1/48th aircraft then you will probably need to buy the 5ml paint cup as well.

You can convert your Badger hose to a quick release hose (£9) or a quick release plus a secondary regulator(£16).

Then buy the quick release adapter for your Badger 150 (£4). That will make swapping the two over very simple.

For a general modelling brush, for larger area work and general camo work, then the Evolution two in one (£118) with the 0.2 and 0.4mm cup and 2ml & 5ml paint cup is a very good brush.

If you are intending to do very fine detailed work as well as large area, then the Evolution fPc two in one(£137) is the route that a lot of customers choose.

You get the finer 0.15mm as well as the 0.4mm nozzle sets, a basic preset handle and a secondary regulator (fPc valve) on the valve stem.

And it's not that much more expensive than the standard two in one.

The infinity is a very nice brush, it shares a lot of components with the Evolution. The main difference is the preset handle that you can switch on and off, rather just screw in and out.

This is really useful if you are going to be using it for repetative detailing work over a period of time, then it's worth looking at.

The pincer head off the Infinity can be installed on the Evolution if required.

This gives a better view of the subject you are painting when up close and aids airflow around the head.

Again, you could get the Infinity Solo (£145) if you are only buying the brush for detailed work, but I expect the 1/48th models would need the larger 0.4mm nozzle set, so you would probably need to go for the Infinity 2 in 1 (£182)

I have all the details in my airbrushing catalogue, can be downloaded from: www.little-cars.co.uk/airbrushes

I've got the Evolution Silverline fPc 2 in 1, the air regulator may be something which you wouldn't use if you've got a regulator on your compressor, however the Silverlines have a paint regulator on the rear of the handle, which at times is very useful, I've got the 0.2 and 0.4 needle and nozzle set up and it does appear to be the desired sizes.

You can convert your Badger hose to a quick release hose (£9) or a quick release plus a secondary regulator(£16).

Then buy the quick release adapter for your Badger 150 (£4). That will make swapping the two over very simple.

Interesting idea. I might do that. :)

Thanks for your detailed information Paul.

From all your experience, I see the most intreseting set for me is the:

Evolution Silverline 0.2 + 0.4 (2ml + 5ml cups) or the Evolution Silverline sole 0.2 with extra 5ml cup. Additionally the Quick Fix part.

The FPC doesn't look that interesting. The 0.15 nozzle set could be added later if I'm not satisfied with the 0.2 nozzle set.

Annyone knows what should be the normal pressure needed for painting with the Evolution Silverline (FPC) in combination with a 0.4 nozzle?

My supplier warned me, because my compressor is possible to light. However, the compressor should be able to deliver a work pressure of 60PSI (which looks quite high for airbrushing).

Or would he rather refer to the flow of the compressor?

Annyone knows what should be the normal pressure needed for painting with the Evolution Silverline (FPC) in combination with a 0.4 nozzle?

My supplier warned me, because my compressor is possible to light. However, the compressor should be able to deliver a work pressure of 60PSI (which looks quite high for airbrushing).

Depending on the paint, varying between 15 - 20 psi for me, 60 psi is way WAY too much.

Interesting idea. I might do that. :)

Thanks for your detailed information Paul.

From all your experience, I see the most intreseting set for me is the:

Evolution Silverline 0.2 + 0.4 (2ml + 5ml cups) or the Evolution Silverline sole 0.2 with extra 5ml cup. Additionally the Quick Fix part.

The FPC doesn't look that interesting. The 0.15 nozzle set could be added later if I'm not satisfied with the 0.2 nozzle set.

Painting, the normal range is anything from 35psi down to 3 or 4psi for some people.

Depends on what works for you.

What paints you are using, how they are thinned, how far from the model you paint, lots of variables.

Personally I use around 15psi for acrylics, I know others that usually use 30psi & I have a friend that sprays enamels from 5-10psi

Which compressor have you got?

As long as the compressor has a regulator & gauge on it, you should be able to deop it down from 60psi to whatever you want.

Paul

little-cars

It is a Sparmax AC-100 with water tap and pressure regulator.

I'm using 20-25psi max 35psi myself with the Badger. So I don't see why it wouldn't satisfy for a 0.4 nozzle.

Thx for all your input.

It is a Sparmax AC-100 with water tap and pressure regulator.

I'm using 20-25psi max 35psi myself with the Badger. So I don't see why it wouldn't satisfy for a 0.4 nozzle.

Thx for all your input.

I sell similar spec unit and don't have any air pressure issues.

Paul