Useful Websites for photos of Real Tanks

ChrisITA

I thought this might be a useful thread for the 'Real Armour' section in the AFV Modelling part of the site.

Here's a list of sites I regularly visit for reference shots of real tanks

toadmans tank pictures Great site covering all sorts of subjects

Chars Francais THE site to go to if you're modelling French tanks. Chock full of museum walkarounds and period pictures

Prime Portal huge site covering not just WWII, but plenty of modern subjects, and softskins, small arms and personal kit as well as tanks

Armoured Acorn Great site for all things armoured and Canadian, with a bit of non Canadian info thrown in for good measure. Especially good for info on camo schemes and markings

Armour in Focus Indespensible site for all things Churchill Tank but also lots of info on other British Armour

Hope these are useful, and please do add your own

Chris

Edited by ChrisITA

I only model post war British vehicles and find a lot of useful info on regimental sites, such as <http://www.1rtr.net/>, and <http://www.thequeensownhussars.co.uk/photos.htm>. There are heaps more, just a question of Googling an area of interest.

I also find that the 'army surplus' type sites often turn up really good photos of equipment, such as aerial mounts, microphones, pioneer tools etc.

British Pathe is a great source too. Sometimes the quality is not so good, but at least the images are contemporary, and their search function is excellent.

Although the 'museum' sites like Toadman, SVSM and Prime Portal are good for details, I am always wary of placing too much faith in the accuracy of the vehicles shown. Many museum vehicles are either a 'mix and match' of available parts, or have additonal/missing parts when compared to a service vehicle. The colour schemes can also be a figment of the restorers imagination.

Service Pals has some good contemporary photos in their gallery but it is a time consuming exercise to find the good stuff amongst all the snapshots.

Having been a modeller for longer than I care to admit I do wonder how we ever managed without the Internet!

Regards Dave