Vallejo RLM-02

dr_gn

About to paint the cockpit of my Bf109-E4. I got some Vallejo RLM-02 equivalent (Grey Green it says on the bottle), which I think should be a dark grey colour, but it looks almost green. Is this correct?

About to paint the cockpit of my Bf109-E4. I got some Vallejo RLM-02 equivalent (Grey Green it says on the bottle), which I think should be a dark grey colour, but it looks almost green. Is this correct?

Yup, 02 is a grey-green colour and the one to go for. The dark grey is RLM-66 used for later cockpits (and perhaps some very late E4's)

HTH

Andy

I should also add that the instrument panels should be RLM-66 in an E-4 with 02 cockpit.

Andy

True enough, like this:

109cockpitweb.jpg

The grey/green used here is the Vallejo RLM02, by the way, so it comes out ok.

Cheers,

Dean

No problem...even if you DID call me Dan!

I used an Eduard PE set which was painted first with Halford's Grey Primer, airbrushed with Vallejo RLM02, and then a coat of Klear. I used a black pastel chalk ground down and mixed with water and washing up liquid to make a wash, which was brushed on and then wiped off when dry, leaving it around the rivets and crevices:

109cockpitleftside.jpg

I also used some generic cockpit placards to add a bit of interest. Then the whole thing got a coat of matt varnish to seal it all in.

The panel was painted with Tamiya acrylic, and a white pastel wash used to bring out the various control markings:

109panel.jpg

A fine brush was used for the switches and buttons, and Klear used on the instrument faces to simulate glass.

In the end, the Matchbox kit builds up into a nice result with a lot of scratchbuilding and patience. I also did a full rivet job on mine:

109-2a.jpg

109-15.jpg

109-9.jpg

109-7.jpg

Hope that helps,

Dean

Dean,

Sorry, missed the e out in my rush.

Your model looks great. I'm using the same Eduard kit as you, plus another Eduard one for engine and exterior details. Never tried etch kits before, and It's tricky!

I was going to try MIG Dark Wash for the details - have you any experience of this?

Cheers,

Dr_GN.

No need to apologise, I was only pulling your leg!

I've never used Mig pigments before, so can't offer any advice, sorry. I always make my own or use Promodeller wash.

Best of luck with the build,

Dean

No need to apologise, I was only pulling your leg!

I've never used Mig pigments before, so can't offer any advice, sorry. I always make my own or use Promodeller wash.

Best of luck with the build,

Dean

OK, might try Promodeller then - seems safer!

BTW, on yours, what are the thin "T" shaped bits sticking up from the instrument panel lights?

Here's my progress so far:

xhEHYdCk.jpg

Z4RhnoPW.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by dr_gn

Hi Garth,

Regarding the correct shade of 02:

In reality, even the RLM could not guarantee uniformity of the colour of 02 between the batches produced by the many paint manufacturers supplying paint to both the aircraft companies and the Luftwaffe. Because this uniformity could not be guaranteed, between late 1940 and the autumn of 1944, the Technical Office of the RLM issued a number of advisory letters essentially stating that this lack of uniformity was of no importance to interior painting and was thus no reason for complaint. Oddly enough and although it was approved for use as an exterior camouflage colour (Bf 109E, early 109F etc), not one of these advisory letters mentions exterior use!

As far as model paints go, 02 produced by Gunze, Xtracrylics, Vallejo Model Colour and Model Air are quite acceptable. However, those produced by Humbrol & Tamiya require considerable lightening to bring them into a range matching samples of the real 02.

However, and just like ‘scale effect’ and ‘wear & tear/weathering’ it really comes down to the individual modeller’s preference so, if your completed subject looks right to your interpretation of how the original appeared then be happy with your decision.

HTH

Dave

Hi Garth,

Regarding the correct shade of 02:

In reality, even the RLM could not guarantee uniformity of the colour of 02 between the batches produced by the many paint manufacturers supplying paint to both the aircraft companies and the Luftwaffe. Because this uniformity could not be guaranteed, between late 1940 and the autumn of 1944, the Technical Office of the RLM issued a number of advisory letters essentially stating that this lack of uniformity was of no importance to interior painting and was thus no reason for complaint. Oddly enough and although it was approved for use as an exterior camouflage colour (Bf 109E, early 109F etc), not one of these advisory letters mentions exterior use!

As far as model paints go, 02 produced by Gunze, Xtracrylics, Vallejo Model Colour and Model Air are quite acceptable. However, those produced by Humbrol & Tamiya require considerable lightening to bring them into a range matching samples of the real 02.

However, and just like ‘scale effect’ and ‘wear & tear/weathering’ it really comes down to the individual modeller’s preference so, if your completed subject looks right to your interpretation of how the original appeared then be happy with your decision.

HTH

Dave

Thank you Dave,

One of the reasons I asked was that in Lynn Ritger's book, there appears to be a bit of a confusing caption to one of the 'walkaround' pics. No problem though.

BTW you'll be pleased to see I took your advice and used the Matchbox seat!

Cheers,

Garth.

Dean,

I just sprayed the cockpit, and to me it looks totally wrong. It looks brown, not green. The paint I'm using is Vallejo Air Lt. Grey Green RLM2 - this is obviously not the same as what you used. Could you give me the serial number of the paint? mines 71044.

Cheers,

Garth.

I just sprayed Vallejo RLM02 and I agree, it does look brownish. But it might just be the lighting...

Or it could just be that it was too light a coat. If you put a drop of 71044 on paper, it certainly looks green.

Edited by Master Zen

I just sprayed Vallejo RLM02 and I agree, it does look brownish. But it might just be the lighting...

Or it could just be that it was too light a coat. If you put a drop of 71044 on paper, it certainly looks green.

Now it's dry, it looks green again!

Looks green in the bottle

Looks brown when sprayed and wet

Looks green when dry.

I even took the nozzle off the bottle top to check it was mixed - same deal - brown!

I'm confused, but at least the colour appears to be OK.

Cheers.

• 5 months later...

Back in the day I painted more than a few Messie cockpits grey - thats it, just grey.

I didnt differentiate and I was happy. Today I would follow the advice given in this thread.

Whether I would be happy is a matter of conjecture.

Thanks Jonathan

Is Model Air for Airbrushes or is it any good with hairy brushes please?

Hi Dahut

as a kid we never had any paint for the kits.

There is something to be said for it as it saves ones' sanity.

Am getting some very confusing results on my searches

Doesn't even need to be considered 100% as long as I can feel am in the right part of the spectrum

(No Jonathan, I don't mean Skybase, though time spent with the Angels ...*sigh*)

Edited by walrus

If yu're brushing, then the model air are probably thinned too much, as they're meant for airbrushing.

To replicate 02 I use vallejo 886 from the standard range. Looks good enough for me and compares decently with other manufacturers interpretation.

Hi Dahut

as a kid we never had any paint for the kits.

There is something to be said for it as it saves ones' sanity.

There is also something eminently satisfying about loading up an old model with firecrackers, lighting the fuse and tossing the ersatz bomb skyward.

Like riding a bike, such things transport one back to the days of youth. Few pleasures will ever be enjoyed like the first ones relished as a lad.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Forgot to track this topic (still haven't got the hang of keeping track of threads on BM !)

Now the model's finished, I can confirm that Vallejo Air "Lt. Grey Green RLM02" Serial No.71044 is the correct colour after all !

It's the wierdest colour; looks grey when viewed next to green, green next to gray and brown in the bottle.

Wotever...

• Thanks 1