HMS Belfast

Here is my Airfix 1/600 scale HMS Belfast, which I built some time ago. It took me about 4 months to complete, as I wanted to depict her as she appeared during the Korean War, which was when my late Father served in her.

The model was much modified, with the removal of the aircraft catapults and re - shaping of the bridge to her later, slightly assymetric form. In fact the only parts which were not modified/added to in some way were A, X and Y turrets!

I built her before I was aware of there being PE sets for her, but I don't think they would have completely solved all the mods, as I think the sets are for her WWII configuration.

I must admit this is one of my favourite models, and she normally lives in a nice, dust free display case, so please ignore the specks on the base!

HMSBelfast-1.jpg

HMSBelfast-2.jpg

HMSBelfast-3.jpg

:cheers:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Beautifully done, one of those models we've probably all made in the dim and distant...

..but nowhere near as good as that. A very fitting tribute, well done!

Al

Many thanks for the kind words, everybody. This model does mean a lot to me, as my Dad had been wanting to see HMS Belfast just once more before she was to be scrapped. When we found out she was to be preserved he was overjoyed, but unfortunately he died suddenly about a week before she was due to open to the public, so he never got to see her in the end.

With the aid of the "Anatomy Of The Ship" book I decided I'd have a go at converting the Airfix kit, so with the help of much stretched sprue and plastic card I took about 3 months to complete the model. I'll try and take some more pics this weekend, if I can leave my Tiger tank alone for a while,lol!

:cheers:

• 8 years later...

Impressive build, Starfighter! And modified to present that specific historic era, with a very personal story connected to it.

Well done. I have visited HMS Belfast a couple of times recently and will continue to do so. Planning to build her myself (1:350 Trumpeter) out of box, as all modifications during her decades of service are quite a challenge to incorporate in the buil. Just joined this forum and while looking around I really enjoyed finding your post. 

Excellent build. I did the same with the Airfix kit about 40 years ago as my father also served on her during the Korean War. He still meets up occasionally with the decreasing number of crew mates and  has visited the Belfast in London several times.

Cheers

GrahamB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 6:39 PM, James G said:

Excellent Belfast. My grandad served aboard about the same time, maybe he knew your father?

Quite possibly, but Dad passed away in 1971, so I've no way of knowing who his shipmates were, although he did say he'd served with the actor Jack Hedley.