Soviet/Foreign Service GB

Thank you very much, Mish! Welcome all-we look forward to seeing your plans and projects! I shall be doing one of the Romanian Mig-21 Lancer C's that will be attending RIAT this year. Once again, welcome!

As this is the first BM GB I joined, I'm lookng forward to this ! And first of all I'd like to thanks Mish and the hosts !

I was originally thinking of either an algerian Mig-25 or a Mig-15 UTI of some exotic air force. Seeing that the start is quite far away I might do a lybian su-22 for which I'm slowly collecting bits and pieces.

ONe thing is sure: there's a lot of interesting subjects ! And today kits and decals are much easier to find that they were only a few years ago.

I know I'm already in this GB with a MiG-15, but given the length of the GB,

I'd like to add another model, an Airfix 1/72 Mil Mi-24 "Hind" in the markings

of the Nicaraguan Sandinista Air Force.

• 3 months later...
Thank you very much, Mish! Welcome all-we look forward to seeing your plans and projects! I shall be doing one of the Romanian Mig-21 Lancer C's that will be attending RIAT this year. Once again, welcome!

Tom,

I take it your plans have changed now since they didn't pitch up :doh: I would love to enter but it takes me an age to build as I am not fully set up yet and wont be for some time. I will watch with intrest though :ninja:

Edited by zipper

Tom,

I take it your plans have changed now since they didn't pitch up :doh: I would love to enter but it takes me an age to build as I am not fully set up yet and wont be for some time. I will watch with intrest though :ninja:

yes, you would be correct! I will either be doing the Polish Su-22 M-4 that was there or I will be doing Airfix's lovely MiG-15 in Korean colours. :D

They are Group Builds

but what take place in the future! :P

Group Builds that have been given a date in the calender, have volunteers to co-host and are good to go!

Am assuming you know what a Group Build is but just in case: people sign up to participate on a modelling theme.

You post pics of the box and sprue shots and a WIP thread.

If you finished build pics are posted in the gallery with the other builds .

Usually a poll and a prize draw finishes of the proceedings and a good time is had by all.

hth :D

hi ... what does that mean "soviet/former service"?

sorry ... but sometimes I don't understand some British sentences :(

I mean ... Soviet is clear ... former Soviet Union ... those guys who were "friends" of the East Germans for a few years ;)

But former service?

Does that include former commercial (better say "centrally planned economy") airlines like LOT, Interflug (yeah, I'm obsessed, I know :whistle: ) and Aeroflot?

Or does it only mean military stuff? (that I don't like ... by the way)

Hi Micha

The idea was for aircraft that were made by what used to be the Soviet Union, but exported and used by non Soviet air arms.

An example would be a Mig29 Fulcrum in East German markings, or a Mig 15 in Chinese markings.

It doesn't only refer to countries of the former Eastern Bloc.

So that a Mig in Egyptian service would be allowed as well.

HTH

I can't say about civilian aircraft as that will be up to the hosts. But it sounds a good idea.

BTW that was one heck of a skilfull pilot to land Concorde on the goal posts.

No comments about penalty shootouts please :weep:

They are Group Builds

but what take place in the future! :P

Group Builds that have been given a date in the calender, have volunteers to co-host and are good to go!

Am assuming you know what a Group Build is but just in case: people sign up to participate on a modelling theme.

You post pics of the box and sprue shots and a WIP thread.

If you finished build pics are posted in the gallery with the other builds .

Usually a poll and a prize draw finishes of the proceedings and a good time is had by all.

hth :D

ah i didnt know what a group build was....

sounds like fun and another excuse to build a DDR aircraft :-)

Edited by mrcooljules

As this is the first BM GB I joined, I'm lookng forward to this ! And first of all I'd like to thanks Mish and the hosts !

I was originally thinking of either an algerian Mig-25 or a Mig-15 UTI of some exotic air force. Seeing that the start is quite far away I might do a lybian su-22 for which I'm slowly collecting bits and pieces.

ONe thing is sure: there's a lot of interesting subjects ! And today kits and decals are much easier to find that they were only a few years ago.

what scale would you be doing the "SU-22? i love that airfract, i have a load in 72nd and one in 48th...its such a sexy airfract!

For slow pokes like me there is never enough time :frantic:

they are great fun it has to be said :D

yes just been reading some articles and looking at fotos of the mbox one...wish i had known about that one.

its all new to me this, but this one is right up my strasse :-) (as he says after been working on a 32nd mig 15 and 21, both to be DDR)

Hi Micha

The idea was for aircraft that were made by what used to be the Soviet Union, but exported and used by non Soviet air arms.

An example would be a Mig29 Fulcrum in East German markings, or a Mig 15 in Chinese markings.

It doesn't only refer to countries of the former Eastern Bloc.

So that a Mig in Egyptian service would be allowed as well.

HTH

I can't say about civilian aircraft as that will be up to the hosts. But it sounds a good idea.

BTW that was one heck of a skilfull pilot to land Concorde on the goal posts.

No comments about penalty shootouts please :weep:

thanks walrus ... actually, this would also include the TU-134 and TU-145 of the former GDR airline which was overtaken by the (West-)German Luftwaffe in 1991 :whistle:

But it's ok if you say "no commercial airliners" ;)

I'll build them in any case ... even outside the GB's ... but not in Luftwaffe colours :D

As a typical WW-2 builder that I am.

Where there any Soviet build planes used by other nations during WW-2 ?

If not.Are "captured" planes used by the Germans OK for this GB ?

Edited by Erwin

Id like to enter with a chinese flanker

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/j-11.htm

just need to find decals for it

Russ

Edited by RussTnailZ

im looking forward to this...tempted by another 32nd Mig21 (this time 2 seater) but..................also a hubschrauber, Mi 8 maybe. oh god so many choices! :-)

what scale would you be doing the "SU-22? i love that airfract, i have a load in 72nd and one in 48th...its such a sexy airfract!

Mine is a 1/72 one. I bought a mastercraft Su-22M/M3 kit for very little money (5 euro IIRC). Now it's not really an accurate 22M, as some features are closer to a 17M3, but I came to the conclusion that it's easier to make a 22M out of it rather than a 17M3. And as the lybian markings are more interesting to me I'm quite happy to go for that version. Up to now I added a pavla resin seat and the eduard exterior photo etch set, have yet to find something for the interior but I might buy the pavla set for the M4.

Edited by Giorgio N

Mine is a 1/72 one. I bought a mastercraft Su-22M/M3 kit for very little money (5 euro IIRC). Now it's not really an accurate 22M, as some features are closer to a 17M3, but I came to the conclusion that it's easier to make a 22M out of it rather than a 17M3. And as the lybian markings are more interesting to me I'm quite happy to go for that version. Up to now I added a pavla resin seat and the eduard exterior photo etch set, have yet to find something for the interior but I might buy the pavla set for the M4.

i have a few of the Italeri kits, inc 2 seater and lots of those you mention.

I doubt i would have time to do the 48th Kopro kit, with all the extra's but maybe a couple of 72nd ones along with a 32nd Mig23 for the GB (and maybe a 2 seater Mig 21 UM)

thanks walrus ... actually, this would also include the TU-134 and TU-145 of the former GDR airline which was overtaken by the (West-)German Luftwaffe in 1991 :whistle:

But it's ok if you say "no commercial airliners" ;)

I'll build them in any case ... even outside the GB's ... but not in Luftwaffe colours :D

Civvie stuff is perfectly acceptable as long as it's not in the service of the manufacturers, so if it was built in east Germany whilst it was a seperate political entity and flew for west Germany, thats fine, however... its a close call! :)