Think I got Lucky?

JohnT

I have not done a tank before except for several OOB builds of Airfix stuff when still at primary school and kits came in bags !

I always fancied the Chieftan though as looking purposeful and a quality piece of kit. The 1/25 remote radio job from tamiya is back doing the rounds and Graham at Relish has a good deal on. Not enough to tempt me but then I saw one on Flea Bay so I bid a lowish offer and got it at £80. I hope thats a decent buy

Trouble is all I know is that its a model of the prototype and otherwise I know He Haw about AFV modelling. I can't see any reviews by Googling. Any thoughts about where I might find a Numpty's Guide to AFV modelling? Or maybe advice as to how to upgrade to an operational in service tank.

I see there are a couple of real ones up for sale but buying one for research might be a tad OOT. And I'd never smuggle it past the wife into the garage :innocent:

On the other hand she wants to change her car for a 4x4 as we live in the country and she does not like driving in the snow etc - maybe I should suggest this

http://www.milweb.net/webverts/49351/

its got a decent top speed, 4 wheel drive and road presence, No? :evil_laugh:

Unfortunately the Tamiya 1/25 Chieftain is a real stinker, more a toy than a kit. It's a poor representation of the protype (as you mention) and even features the box shaped front which was used to disguise the actual shape of the glacis! Making it into a production type will be a difficult job. I can send you a list of tweaks for the 1/35 Tamiya kit that might be of use but first you would have to get the 1/25 one to Mk.3 standards.

HTH

Andy

Unfortunately the Tamiya 1/25 Chieftain is a real stinker, more a toy than a kit. It's a poor representation of the protype (as you mention) and even features the box shaped front which was used to disguise the actual shape of the glacis! Making it into a production type will be a difficult job. I can send you a list of tweaks for the 1/35 Tamiya kit that might be of use but first you would have to get the 1/25 one to Mk.3 standards.

HTH

Andy

Hi Andy

That would be very much appreciated. I suspect that I will live with quite a lot on this one through sheer ignorance whereas I'd bin a plane with similar type problems. Still might be a challenge and if all else fails my 4 year old can inherit it as a fun toy after I build it - one way or the other !

regards

John

As already pointed out this kit represents the prototype including the box to hide the frontal armour. Depending on your desire for accuracy you could build it as the prototype OOB and it would be passable. If you want to make an operational tank it would be easiest to do a Mk1, which used a similar turret.

The Mk2 would require a bit more work and if you want a Mk3 or later you would be better scratchbuilding. The differences are more major than just additional detailing and would include hull and turret surgery

I am currently back-dating the 1/35th Tamiya Mk3 to an early Mk2 so I have a bit of reference material I can share if you really want to tackle a Mk1 or 2. As you have already discovered Googling does not bring up much that is pre-Mk3. The Aberdeen Mk1, which itself is not truly representative of an in-service Mk1, is the most photographed...there is a walk round at the SVSM site.

Robert Lockie did a detailed mods list for Mk3 and later conversion of the 1/35th kit. Its available at Dan Hays site <http://www.onepointed.com/dan/model/ChieftainTweaks/>.

Regards Dave

Dave

thanks for the above post. I'd prefer to do an operational mark. I'll send you a pm. The thing I love about BM and this hobby is the way numpties like me get help to turn out something passable

thanks chaps

JohnT

• 1 month later...

because it had such bad reviews and you need to really know how to make this kit into something resembling a later Mark i decided not to buy it as a shame as it would of been lovely to have it alongside the same scale centurion.