DH Heron Airfix

Boelki

The original plan of this built was a „quickbuilt“ during the vacation break on Christmas. I wanted to do the Heron with „Lufthansa“ markings because I live very close to the Stuttgart airport. And this airplane was scheduled on Stuttgart during the time of the runway extension. The Heron could manage the short runway and serve the route to Frankfurt. First of all the “quick” idea didn’t work – I needed two month to complete the model. There were a few problems to solve. The first thing was the very thick trailing edge. The wings have to be sanded down and all flaps needed new scribing. The second problem were the windows. They won’t fit and were not clear enough. So the windows were made completely new from clear plastic sheet. The last big problem was the finish. I bought a decal sheet from Hahen. This didn´t work. The decal is too thick, will not stick and shrinkles with any kind of softener. The only thing I used was the registration. The „Lufthansa“ is from the Revell Super Constellation kit in 1/144. This fits in size and colour perfectly! The bird is home made with self-printed decals and the rest is airbrushed. I used Alclad Duraluminum / Revell white 04/ Revell blue 52 / Revell yellow Lufthansa.

This was the start 24.12.2009

L1030645.jpg

This is the picture which inspired me

CHD304-8-1-P.jpg

The finished model

L1030903.jpg

L1030900.jpg

Very nice Heron, and a fab paint job. I wouldn't mind building one of these as we had a couple in the Heron flight at Yeovilton when I was based there.

Like it, my dear old dad had a lot to do with Herons and Doves, must get my dear silver haired mother to try and find his old photos.

Nick