Luftstansa pre-war Ju-52 names?

just got done watching the old 'Wings of the Luftwaffe' episode (god, I need to get back to work!) on the Ju-52 and almost all pre-war airframes were named.

Who were the planes named after? And this appeared to be a standard prior to the Nazi era, so they wouldn't be Nazi 'heroes' (Horst Wessel-types)

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

I don't really know the answer to this, but the few pre-war Lufthansa aircraft that I know were named after people (others were named after places, for example), seem to be named after German heroes of WW1 - i.e. Hindenburg, Richtofen and Billik (the limit of my knowledge!).

Have you got any other names to play with?

Cliff

Hi Matt,

the Ju 52 planes were named after Lufthansa pilot who gave their lifes for the company. There are some exceptions (e. g. Manfred von Richthofen D-ABIK, another Pour le Merite owner Hans Kirschstein, ....). Other Lufthansa planes like He 70/F13 are named after birds, Ju 86 after mountains, He 111 after Cities.....

I´m not a fan of the third-reich stuff, but I have a book about the airports of Berlin from 1974, titled "Gelandet in Berlin". On one page there is a picture of various Ju52/3 at Berlin-Tempelhof dated 1936. I tried to google the names. Among them is D-AQIT ""Major Dinklage", D-ALUN "Kurt Wintgens"(WWI pilot), D-ALAN "Eduard Dostler"(WW I pilot), D-AHIH "Rudolf Kleine", D-AFES "Franz Buchner"(non-flying high ranking Nazi),D-AMIP "Fritz Ers", D-ABA? "Emil Thuy"(WWI pilot). So they named them not only after aviators. At least durring the third reich.

Doc Bunsen Honeydew

Hi,

one mistake with the last reply. The Ju was named after "Franz Büchner" not "Franz Buchner". Büchner was a WW1 Pour le Merite pilot as well and not a Nazi. He died during the great war.

"Fritz Simon" was the origin name of the famous D-AQUI which is still in service with the Lufthansa. There were 196 pilots who gave there lifes for Lufthansa.