My Second Ferrari GB

Madmonk

I had hoped this would arrive next week whilst away but it arrived this morning, certainly no chance of taking this on holiday with me!

Favourite driver (Villeneuve) so decided to get the Fujimi kit of his last victory, then saw the detail set from Hobby Design and in a moment of madness though why not. Now I have the detail set I thought about the wiring & plumbing as well so a visit to the Gurney Flap website and a few others plus books at home got me the reference material I needed.

I might just sneek the instructions and photos away with me so I have something to do when sat on the beach!! (if the weather picks up!) Don't tell the wife though, just our secret!

Will it stay in the box or will it be started before we go in the early hours of Friday morning, watch this thread!

126CK.jpg

A quick look at the HD set and there is a fair amount there although some of the parts are curved and not flat as they should be. I might have to ask my daughter if I can use her flower press!!!

Picture621.jpg

The plastic bag has pins for thw wings and skirts as well as the radio switch for the steering wheel.

Cheers,

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to start this over the weekend, not a great deal done other than giving everything a coat of primer before removing mould lines and initial sanding.

Chassis & Floor Plan

IMG_0194.jpg

Intercooler - removed moulded radiator and added PE from Hobby Design Set

IMG_0196.jpg

The Hobby Design up grade set is quite extensive but does need a lot of modification to the existing plastic parts, some of which will not be seen, although I intend to plumb and wire the engine so the bodywork will be displayed off.

Will try and concentrate on some of these up grades as I go along, the brake discs in particular.

Cheers,

Warren

Little done over the weekend due to family commitments, mainly tidying up mould lines and research.

The photos I have from the Gurney Flap website show the seat as a tan suede finish but the ki says semi-gloss black. After a quick trawl through the interweb and several Ferrari books on my shelf the original seat is black so I started to work on that area.

This is the only area where the kit has a shortfall as there are no seatbelts supplied. The decals are included as are the holes in the seat. Initially I was going to use foil from a wine bottle, good excuse to open one!! Whilst looking through my various bits boxes for hardware I found a set of SMS 1/20th PE Harness hardware I had bought last year at the Donington Show.

SMSParts.jpg

This had cloth in it so I tested a section for painting and was satisfied with the result so built up a set of belts from the kit. The only issue I had was that I placed the decal on before removing the backing sheet and cracked them, if i can find another set I will replace them. Other than that I am happy with the final result.

Seagt.jpg

Hopefully I will start on the engine tonight.

Cheers,

Warren

The rain meant no spraying last night so I settled down at the desk and did some work on the CK.

Had a go at one of the HD brake discs, a 5 piece PE affair, only 3 pieces in the photos as the other two are surface covers.

Stage 1 - PE removed from sheet

CK4.jpg

Stage 2 - vains turned through 90 Deg

CK5.jpg

Stage 3 - glued together using 2 part epoxy to allow vains to be positioned in slots

CK6.jpg

The whole exersice took about 25 mins to complete, biggest task was lining vains up with slots.

Rest of the evening was spent on the engine and in particular the fuel system that is not included in the kit.

First off built 6 fuel injectors using brass tube, 1mm bolt and 0.2mm wire.

CK1.jpg

Then removed the moulded parts on the kit that are in the wrong position, drilled locating holes for the new injectors and added them. Test fitted tubing. Finished part, unpainted!

CK2.jpg

Original part next to modified one.

CK3.jpg

Second one to do over weekend.

Evenings work completed and managed to avoid the PM Debate as well, result!

Cheers,

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of time off whilst I re-arranged stuff in the attic and cleared some of the debris from the spare room, so I could get to my modelling station I have started back on the CK.

Mainly work on the engine this weekend. The kit instruction sequencing has been ignored as I am attempting to wire and plumb it. Blck is painted with ModelAir silver and gold, using different shades to try and liven it up a bit.

Brass tube used to replicate plug ends and then wires inserted ready for looming. Some pipe detail picked out with paint and additional pipe added to back of engine ready for next assembly.

CK8.jpg

CK9.jpg

CK10.jpg

I also painted the chassis and primed the main bodywork.

CK7.jpg

CK12.jpg

The PE radiators have been a real pain and have not turned out as I would have liked. The problem came from glueing them on to the flattened surface of the original ones, no matter how little glue I used it has seeped through the holes in the PE and filled in some of the detail. I am sticking with what I have now and will try and hide some of the mess with paint but it won't look pretty!!

Any suggestions for next time, I have to do a similar thing to the F60 kit when I get round to building it.

Family permitting more tonight.

Thanks for looking, and the encouraging comment to date.

Warren

More work done on the engine, managed to sneek upstairs whilst everyone else was watching Corrie!!

CK18.jpg

CK14.jpg

CK16.jpg

CK17.jpg

Plug leads are just black wire, fuel lines are 0.4mm clear tube from Hiroboy, bands on green joint are BareMetal Foil.

I need to sort out some smaller heat shrink for the fuel lines as they are in an overall tubing on the real car.

Not much else done as someone let the dog upstairs about 9.45pm to tell me he wanted his last walk of the day. Might have a run out to Maplins at lunch to see if I can get some heat shrink, need some for the pipe work joints as well.

Thanks for looking

Warren

Not much done over last couple of days, mainly little bits of painting including floor.

Couple of test fit shots.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Asked a question on this site & F1M about painting direct to rubber tyres, apparently no real prep needed, probably just a quick tickle with wet&dry should do it. Something for the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Have a good weekend.

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I need some help. I have put 3 coats of zero paint on the CK body, then a couple of coats of Halford clear. I may have been a bit heavy handed with the last coat. The result is a lot of orange peel and some bubbling on joints, looks terrible!

What is the best way to strip the paint back to the plastic, what works best with zero paints, I have wet and dried it but really needs striping back and starting again. I have ordered some zero gloss clear for the next attempt.

Thanks in anticipation.

Warren

Same thing happened to me on my GTO. Mr Muscle oven cleaner should shift it, or Fairy Power Spray (not as agressive). Spray it on, leave in a plastic bag overnight and the paint should scrub off in warm water.

Muller, thanks for that, the body & nose are currently sat in a bag of said Mr Muscle, see what happens tonight.

A bit more progress on the chassis and engine over the last few days.

Engine

IMG_0411-1.jpg

IMG_0410-1.jpg

Chassis with cables added.

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0408-1.jpg

Test fit into floor

IMG_0412-1.jpg

Will hopefully get the body stripped back tonight, then off to Lakes for a few days as it is half term so more next week.

Thanks for looking.

Warren

The PE radiators have been a real pain and have not turned out as I would have liked. The problem came from glueing them on to the flattened surface of the original ones, no matter how little glue I used it has seeped through the holes in the PE and filled in some of the detail. I am sticking with what I have now and will try and hide some of the mess with paint but it won't look pretty!!

Any suggestions for next time, I have to do a similar thing to the F60 kit when I get round to building it.

Hi Warren, what about trying double sided tape??

Just came across your thread as I've just got the kit via The Modeller sale, so I was hoping someone would be building one - I hope mine turns out half this well - really neat work so far, very nice indeed!! :speak_cool:

You mention finding some stuff on Gurney Flap - to be honest, I'd not come across that site before. I found it through Google, but can't find anything on the 126 - is there any chance you can post a direct link please?

Cheers, looking forward to seeing more of your build!

Keef

Great Driver choice

I havent a clue where I was when I heard that Elvis was dead, but I could go to the exact spot in Lurgan Park where I was when I heard that Gilles was dead

Who won the 1982 Belgian GP? Our own John Watson.

Richard McC

• 2 weeks later...

Keef,

Haven't checked the site for few days so apologies for not getting back. The Gurney Flap site is good for reference photos but needs using with caution as many of the photos are of restored or show cars so nat always as accurate as you would like. The CK is the same but mainly only in the cockpit area and tyres. The seat is the wrong colour and the tyres have Michelin on which was wrong, see earlier posts.

the link to the Gurney page is here http://www.gurneyflap.com/formula1ferrari.html its the 12th car down.

There are photos of the engine too but show it with red cam covers, again wrong as the photos are of a display engine, Ferrari have a habit of painting cam covers red on their display engines. The CK is not the prettiest of F1 cars but was the forerunner to the C2 which was, although it will forever be remebered for another reason.

Richard, I was an impressionalbe 15 year old in '82 and been into F1 via a family friend for a couple of years. There has not been another driver that has come any where near Villeneuve for me since then. I went to Zolder a couple of years later on a family holiday, don't remember much of the race, the highlight, if that is the right word was seeing the memorial and leaving a Ferrari cap by it.

As for my CK well it has hit a major snag this weekend, having stripped most of the paint off I gave it a quick coat of Halfords white primer before applyng a couple og coats of Tamiya fine white primer, left it over night to find I had a surface that resembled crazy paving, particularlu in the recesses and folds. Another session of clean up which went fron 400 grit W&D to 100 sand paper and in a fit of red mist I attacked it with my dremel which resulted in the removal og the primer but also the removal of several lumps of molten plastic. The body also snapped in two with the excessive handling and currently is sat in a corner of the spare room where it landed after I threw it there.

The choice is now wait till I find the kit in a sale somewhere and use the body from that, repair the body I have but my talents are that good or find a spare body from somewhere.

Does any one have a spare CK body they don't want.

Saturday was not a good day on so many levels!!!!

Sunday was better!

Warren

Sorry to hear that the CK has crashed. Like you said though, Sunday was a good day!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

:ditto: - although I thought the whole weekend was good - watched Group C legends at Le Mans on Saturday morning, then the whole of this years 24 hours (apart from about 4 hours where I fell asleep!), nodded off again for a few hours until 'er indoors woke me up again in time for the Grand Prix!! Brilliant motorsport couch potato weekend!!

Warren, I'm no expert on Ferraris, the only reason I bought the Fujimi kit was because I found it in TheModeller's sale & GV was also probably my all time favourite driver (with Nige a close second!!) - anyway, I don't know if its any use for a replacement body, but the aforementioned site has a clear body 126C2 kit on sale at half price;

http://www.themodeller.com/products/Ferrar...FUJ-090344.aspx

HTH

Keef

PS thanks for the link to the Gurney Flap site - I'd checked that page & completely missed the 126! :doh:

Keef,

Thanks for that, glad you found the pictures. I have some reference books at home of car without bodywork, if they are of use PM me and I will scan them for you.

The Modeller.com sale only has the C2 as you rightly say but I have the CK which is a different car so the bodywork is different but thanks anyway.

Not sure what to do with it at the moment, I have a F60 in the stash which I might try and cheer myself up with, there are still 7 weeks left of the GB

Great build so far, Its a shame about the trouble you've had with the body. Have you tried contacting Fujimi or thier distributor about a replacement.

Great detail work on the ecngine, chassis and brakes. I just bought a 126C2 kit from HLJ and I may just have to splurge on that same PE set.

Such a shame that you've had the problem with the body, the engine and detailing looks fab.

I would try and get a replacement from the UK importer www.modelwholesaleuk.com (the wholesale part of www.modelsforsale.com), never tried getting Fujimi parts before, there may be a charge, but might be worth asking the question.

Hope it works out for you.

Ant