P 51 Mustang

BigReg

Why is it so big? Cos I only usually model in 1/144!

Here is the statutory picture of the box, note how it is made of card and like all the other pictures of boxes shown so far it has a plastic bubble holding glue, brushes and little plastic tubs of horrid paint.

victor018.jpg

As all the best reviews start with the cockpit - I'll start with the propeller - amazingly the yellow paint went on well and covered in one coat. I then painted the blades black - as there are no decals for the prop I will scratch some stencil detail on later.

DSCF3345.jpg

The smaller of the two brushes is larger that the one I use to paint the wings in my 144 models so any hope of fine detailling is just not on so when I painted the wheels black (There was no panzer grey in my kit!) I dry brushed siver on to bring out the hub detail and then rubbed the black between my fingers to add a little sheen.

DSCF3346.jpg

The cockpit was a nightmare - no way could I mix an interior green - its RAF lavatory green with some dry brushing in silver and black. The plywood floor is drybrushed olive green over the bare plastic. I used the point of my scalpel to highlight (if that is not to strong a word) the instrument panel.

DSCF3347.jpg

Since I took the pictures last night I have joined the wings and fuselage ..... More tomorrow!

Regards

David

The fuselage is closed up and the wings are on. I've also slapped on the first coats of paint - the silver was horrid! This is a close up of the cockpit with seat belts! These are certainly pre-Eduard, I cut two strips of blue printed paper from the box art and stuck them on with the glue and put a dot of silver on the end to represent the buckles.

Picture003.jpg

This prop now has its 'stencil' data on it and has been painted green which although its too dark at least being gloss went on well.

Picture002.jpg

can you see how horrid the silver is? :gobsmacked::jealous::shutup::weep:

David

Well here it is finished

DSCF3379.jpg

The gloss paint wasn't too bad but the silver is pants - it doesn't cover and then wears off on your hands. The decals were (Sorry transfers...) were brill.

DSCF3375.jpg

I got a really sharp demarcation on the anti glare panel by using the instruction sheet as a shield. However I did cheat on the canopy as the paint just went into mercury like globules and I used my vallejo silver. I'll own up to that, Miss.

DSCF3376.jpg

Regards

David